Suns @ Bulls 12-7-15

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Yup, in one of the few unanimous opinions on this board, I don't think anyone would be sad if Price's minutes went directly to booker (barring injury, of course).

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We played our best against the 3 best teams on this 6 game road trip, going 2 - 1 against them. I just heard on NBA TV that we are a league worst 7 - 24 in games decided by 3 points or fewer since the start of the 2013 season. So many wasted opportunities.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We played our best against the 3 best teams on this 6 game road trip, going 2 - 1 against them. I just heard on NBA TV that we are a league worst 7 - 24 in games decided by 3 points or fewer since the start of the 2013 season. So many wasted opportunities.

I think the two guys who sat the 4th tonight have a ton to do with that. Markieff is a very predictable player on offense (even when he is playing well) and Tucker is not a threat other than to turn the ball over. We had no catch and shoot players last year making those late game drive and dish plays non-existent.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Booker led the team with 5 assists as well.

He made several great passes that created wide open looks for his teammates and they bricked them early in the game. His totals could have been better.

I certainly love his shooting ability but that is just part of who he appears to be. In the times he has been on the court all season long he has shared the ball probably to a fault. However that is exactly what this team needs. He could be the guy that gets everyone to play the right way, who would have thunk it.

As I have suggested several times Bledsoe and Knight need him most. If they get him the ball early on and he starts making shots it sets the table for them. All year long or so it seems Bledsoe has made great passes to Tucker in the corners for wide open jumpers that he has missed without anyone contesting his shot. With Booker in there they will have to defend that shot thus opening up the floor for everyone else.

His perfect spot is the three with this group. I hope Hornacek sees that as we go forward. We get the additional shooter and passer that we need. He also needs to play at least 32 minutes per night.

I hope Hornacek gives any left over minutes to Archie and keeps Tucker firmly on the bench.

Great Win

Knight might have saved Hornacek's job

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the two guys who sat the 4th tonight have a ton to do with that. Markieff is a very predictable player on offense (even when he is playing well) and Tucker is not a threat other than to turn the ball over. We had no catch and shoot players last year making those late game drive and dish plays non-existent.

I'm sure that's a big part of it. I wish I knew what happened to Tucker. He was never the brightest or most skilled player but he was such a hard worker that he made up for many of his shortcomings. But last year that effort was less consistent and this year I'm not even sure he's a plus defender. Considering he is truly one of the weakest offensive players in the game, anything less than stellar defense makes him a liability.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He made several great passes that created wide open looks for his teammates and they bricked them early in the game. His totals could have been better.

I certainly love his shooting ability but that is just part of who he appears to be. In the times he has been on the court all season long he has shared the ball probably to a fault. However that is exactly what this team needs. He could be the guy that gets everyone to play the right way, who would have thunk it.

As I have suggested several times Bledsoe and Knight need him most. If they get him the ball early on and he starts making shots it sets the table for them. All year long or so it seems Bledsoe has made great passes to Tucker in the corners for wide open jumpers that he has missed without anyone contesting his shot. With Booker in there they will have to defend that shot thus opening up the floor for everyone else.

His perfect spot is the three with this group. I hope Hornacek sees that as we go forward. We get the additional shooter and passer that we need. He also needs to play at least 32 minutes per night.

I hope Hornacek gives any left over minutes to Archie and keeps Tucker firmly on the bench.

Not only that but he wisely picks his option when to drive and when to shoot. Also long, athletic and smart enough to finish simply after straight drives.

Sometimes I wonder how is that possible that almost every simple poster here or elsewhere sees that Markieff, Tucker and Price (in that order) are the primary obstacles of a good team play and a win, and the coach is among the last ones who realizes that.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Horny made a comment after the last loss. He seemed genuinely pissed that his starters pissed away a lead. Tonight it looked like he left the bench in and they rallied. Could be that changing of the guard we've been looking for.

I'm thinking that we get the Markieff/Tucker start, and beyond that the bench sees the majority of the minutes. Tucker/Booker/Tele/Leuer will probably see much more time in the 2nd half, while Tucker/Markieff can watch as cheerleaders.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure that's a big part of it. I wish I knew what happened to Tucker. He was never the brightest or most skilled player but he was such a hard worker that he made up for many of his shortcomings. But last year that effort was less consistent and this year I'm not even sure he's a plus defender. Considering he is truly one of the weakest offensive players in the game, anything less than stellar defense makes him a liability.

Does he just seem bulkier??? Kind of like Joe Johnson. Joe Johnson was a thin guy at once, but now he's so muscular that it seems like his athleticism has taken a hit. I kind of see Tucker getting bigger. It helps for such a small guy like him to bang and get an extra rebound or tip-in here and there. But his shot just seems too mechanical now and not as fluid, not that it was a perfect shot before. He also could guard some 1's before, not sure if he's bulkier or just a bit of age going on.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Same old Suns. They have the ability to score or give up 40 in any given quarter.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Horny made a comment after the last loss. He seemed genuinely pissed that his starters pissed away a lead. Tonight it looked like he left the bench in and they rallied. Could be that changing of the guard we've been looking for.

I'm thinking that we get the Markieff/Tucker start, and beyond that the bench sees the majority of the minutes. Tucker/Booker/Tele/Leuer will probably see much more time in the 2nd half, while Tucker/Markieff can watch as cheerleaders.

Looks like it. He gave the veterans their chance and they blew it. You have to have some veteran players on your team, they just have to be the right ones. We need a Grant Hill type of player right now instead of the starting forwards we have had.

I would rather lose a few more games and watch the younger players develop than scratch for every extra win giving players with no future here playing time. But it looks like that is not a choice that I have to make. The younger players are outproducing.

BTW. Booker is 15 for 21 from 3 for the season. Imagine that. An 18 year old steps into the NBA, gets regular minutes, and goes 15 for his first 21 from 3.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it. He gave the veterans their chance and they blew it. You have to have some veteran players on your team, they just have to be the right ones. We need a Grant Hill type of player right now instead of the starting forwards we have had.

I would rather lose a few more games and watch the younger players develop than scratch for every extra win giving players with no future here playing time. But it looks like that is not a choice that I have to make. The younger players are outproducing.

BTW. Booker is 15 for 21 from 3 for the season. Imagine that. An 18 year old steps into the NBA, gets regular minutes, and goes 15 for his first 21 from 3.

I agree. I don't think the Suns lose much by playing the younger players. Somehow, I would like to see Archie Goodwin get some playing time as a backup SF. IMO, he can't play any worse than Tucker. However, I think the Suns have a trade in mind which will shake some things up. The Suns should know the keepers on the team now.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I agree. I don't think the Suns lose much by playing the younger players. Somehow, I would like to see Archie Goodwin get some playing time as a backup SF. IMO, he can't play any worse than Tucker. However, I think the Suns have a trade in mind which will shake some things up. The Suns should know the keepers on the team now.
More Booker and Warren.
Goodwin, not so much.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More Booker and Warren.
Goodwin, not so much.

This is true about Booker and Warren. It seems the coach has stopped giving Goodwin playing time. I guess he will have to prove his worth if he is traded to another team.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

I actually think Chandler is the right kind of guy for this, I'm hoping he can get back on the court soon.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I actually think Chandler is the right kind of guy for this, I'm hoping he can get back on the court soon.

If Jeff has developed confidence in Booker, Warren, Mirza and Teletovic at the expense of Markieff, Tucker and Price - the return of Chandler to full health could see us turning this season around.

I'm surprised at how well we've played considering how poorly our starting forwards have performed this season. If Chandler is the team first guy he portrays himself as I hope Jeff will consider leaving Len as the starter. He's played so much better in that role and Jeff would still have the luxury of choosing the better matchup to close out games.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If Chandler is the team first guy he portrays himself as I hope Jeff will consider leaving Len as the starter.
Tyson Chandler was brought here to be the team leader, as well as play the middle and rebound.

A team leader coming off the bench is not as effective as one in the starting lineup. It is a different image. I prefer that they leave him in the starting lineup when he returns. It need not affect how he and Len split the time.

And if Alex can't perform as well playing against subs, there is something wrong. Yes, I know he's in with our subs, but they have been performing better than our starters.

Of course, all this is a moot point if Hornacek benches both Chandler and Len in the 4th quarter of every game. Which I am afraid will be the case. He is looking for excuses to go small. It's all he knows.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Tyson Chandler was brought here to be the team leader, as well as play the middle and rebound.

A team leader coming off the bench is not as effective as one in the starting lineup. It is a different image. I prefer that they leave him in the starting lineup when he returns. It need not affect how he and Len split the time.

And if Alex can't perform as well playing against subs, there is something wrong. Yes, I know he's in with our subs, but they have been performing better than our starters.

Of course, all this is a moot point if Hornacek benches both Chandler and Len in the 4th quarter of every game. Which I am afraid will be the case. He is looking for excuses to go small. It's all he knows.

Have you been watching the games since Chander's been out? Len looks like a different player now that he's starting. You can say he should be able to keep it up as a backup but reality doesn't always work that way. And Chandler was brought here for a lot of reasons, not the least of which to help Len develop. Len also gives us an offensive component that Chandler doesn't and frankly, I see nothing to support your contention that Jeff wants to go small.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you been watching the games since Chander's been out? Len looks like a different player now that he's starting. You can say he should be able to keep it up as a backup but reality doesn't always work that way. And Chandler was brought here for a lot of reasons, not the least of which to help Len develop. Len also gives us an offensive component that Chandler doesn't and frankly, I see nothing to support your contention that Jeff wants to go small.

Exactly. Jeff learned to coach in Utah under Sloan, hardly small ball.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've not been playing small ball this season at all.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We've not been playing small ball this season at all.
(A) Our top two players essentially share the same Guard position. Every other player on the team is a role player.

(B) Hornacek has been playing 4th quarters with no Centers, especially during the losing streak. Granted Chandler has been out, but Len has hardly been thrust into the limelight, probably due to his lack of development as an anchor.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
(A) Our top two players essentially share the same Guard position. Every other player on the team is a role player.

(B) Hornacek has been playing 4th quarters with no Centers, especially during the losing streak. Granted Chandler has been out, but Len has hardly been thrust into the limelight, probably due to his lack of development as an anchor.
Your "A" point has absolutely nothing to do with "small ball".

As for B, Chandler has been hurt, prior to that he was in during the clutch other than we needed to rain threes or we had a lineup that was tearing it up AND when Len or Chandler were not in they were replaced by Leuer and Tele, guys who are not "small".

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your "A" point has absolutely nothing to do with "small ball".

As for B, Chandler has been hurt, prior to that he was in during the clutch other than we needed to rain threes or we had a lineup that was tearing it up AND when Len or Chandler were not in they were replaced by Leuer and Tele, guys who are not "small".

Exactly. This is nothing different than every other team does, especially when playing from behind.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison