Sun Devil Stadium Falling Apart

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You obviously haven't been in a High School in awhile. They're not just boxes with classrooms anymore.

Since I work in the construction business, especially the construction of all types of schools, I'm not surprised by the cost because I see it everyday.

Im sorry you cant honestly speak for all of America with this statement.. Every place is regional..

HooverDam

Reaction score
You obviously haven't been in a High School in awhile. They're not just boxes with classrooms anymore.

Since I work in the construction business, especially the construction of all types of schools, I'm not surprised by the cost because I see it everyday.

I graduated High School in 2002 from Pinnacle High in North East Phoenix, one of the nicest new schools in Arizona. And what was it mostly? Boxes full of classrooms. A few computer labs with PCs, and some basic low end science classrooms.

That is NOTHING compared to professional level bioscience labs, the buildings ASU has for Mars research, etc. ASU is a research university, they are doing projects that involve multi million dollar grants, to compare it to anything going on at any High School in the country is beyond naive.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I graduated High School in 2002 from Pinnacle High in North East Phoenix, one of the nicest new schools in Arizona. And what was it mostly? Boxes full of classrooms. A few computer labs with PCs, and some basic low end science classrooms.

That is NOTHING compared to professional level bioscience labs, the buildings ASU has for Mars research, etc. ASU is a research university, they are doing projects that involve multi million dollar grants, to compare it to anything going on at any High School in the country is beyond naive.

The new Physics building at Texas A&M University is currently being constructed for $45 million.

The Arizona Biomedical Research Collaborative Building is research and laboratory facility in downtown Phoenix, on Fifth Street just north of Van Buren. The building is a collaborative effort between U of A and ASU, and is the first facility planned for the Downtown Biomedical Campus. The budget is shared between U of A ($17,200,000) and ASU ($13,000,000). The building will accommodate research that will focus on understanding and addressing real health problems – cancer, diabetes, neurological diseases, and metabolic diseases – and the development of research-enabling technologies such as bioinformatics and proteomics. To facilitate this research, the principal functional areas in the building will include wet-bench laboratories, core support laboratories for instrumentation, computer labs for bioinformatics, and administrative support offices for faculty and staff.

$32 million for that. ASU is building a new Polytechnic Campus consisting of 3 buildings for $100 million.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
The new Physics building at Texas A&M University is currently being constructed for $45 million.

Ok whats your point? One building, in another state is apparently equal to your alleged cost of high schools? You are making little to no sense, I'm sorry. I attended one of the nicest high schools in the state and have visited many of the others on various athletic/yearbook related trips, they are nothing compared to a research facility.

Please enlighten us as to what these Taj Mahal like High Schools you think exist have that is so amazing? Really nice cafeterias or something?

Just think logically about it, which costs more: the facilities for research on MARS. Mars a planet thats 36 million miles away or a nice new drama facility or PC/Mac computer lab at a high school in Scottsdale.

EDIT: I really don't want to pick a fight w/ you, but I just don't see why people think its so crazy for one of the largest universities in the country, a school that has 4 large campuses , to be throwing around these types of numbers.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Im sorry you cant honestly speak for all of America with this statement.. Every place is regional..

True, we are building palaces for our high school students here. 25 million for Middle Schools, 16 million for Elementary. Those costs include the athletic facilities which usually include a football field with track and two gyms.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
EDIT: I really don't want to pick a fight w/ you, but I just don't see why people think its so crazy for one of the largest universities in the country, a school that has 4 large campuses , to be throwing around these types of numbers.

Well actually the ASU guy said that money was needed over the next few decades so it really isn't out of line when you look at it in that perspective especially if you include the satellite campuses.

But no matter how you look at it 3.2 billion is still what it costs to construct 100
Arizona Biomedical Research Collaborative Buildings. :D

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Well actually the ASU guy said that money was needed over the next few decades so it really isn't out of line when you look at it in that perspective especially if you include the satellite campuses.

As always in construction, the devil is in the details (Project Manager in Las Vegas & San Diego). The amount of money that ASU is requesting probably contains budgets for renovation of existing facilities (including remediation of hazmat, if required), new construction, escalation (construction materials prices are going crazy, not as bad as last year in some categories, but I'm seeing major price increases every month to three), design & land acquisition, environmental impact statements / government compliance, contingency / wish list, etc etc...

Just curious to know, anyone have an idea on how many SF ASU is looking to expand, or what their current building SF is? That would give us a very good idea as to the cost/SF - which tells us if ASU is being realistic, or smoking serious stuff.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What they are doing is trying to bundle SDS renovation with academic buildings.

I guess they figure it will be hard to refuse after doing their best to block the Cardinals

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort