OT: Report: U.S. Bank Stadium (MN) will need $280 million in maintenance over the next decade

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Report: U.S. Bank Stadium will need $280 million in maintenance over the next decade​

U.S. Bank Stadium is one of the top stadiums in the NFL, but it's not going to be cheap to keep it that way.

According to a report from the Star Tribune's Rochelle Olson, the home of the Minnesota Vikings will need $280 million in maintenance over the next decade including $48 million within the next year.

The numbers came from an architectural assessment that was released on Friday. Although the public and the Vikings make an annual contribution to the stadium capital improvement fund, it currently sits at just over $16 million, leaving questions over how the money to maintain the stadium will be acquired.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Whaaat. Didn't they just build it? LOL

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hope the city is not paying for this. This is extortion payment if they are paying it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In early 2018, the Super Bowl will travel to Minneapolis, and the focus will be on the Vikings’ shiny new stadium, a beautiful, glassy structure. But there’s one problem with the stadium: It’s killing a bunch of birds who are being tricked by the reflective glass on the outside of the stadium walls.

A trio of organizations -- the Audubon Chapter of Minneapolis, the Minnesota Citizens for the Protection of Migratory Birds and the Friends of Roberts Bird Sanctuary -- worked together to prepare a report (which you can view in full here) that details the concerns about the stadium’s effect on birds flying into the stadium.

The results are not pretty: according to City Pages, over a two-hour span, the three groups found 60 dead birds lying on the ground and another 14 birds lying stunned on the ground.

The belief is that the stadium is killing up to 500 birds a year.

This pace would make it the deadliest building in Minnesota for birds.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I've been in that stadium a lot, more times than I care to remember, but it really is nice. I guess the more modern and higher tech you go the more it costs to maintain.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've been in that stadium a lot, more times than I care to remember, but it really is nice. I guess the more modern and higher tech you go the more it costs to maintain.
Such a thing as TOO nice.

Reaction score
280/10 = 28 per year. Really NOT that much for an NFL franchise to manage.

Granted that the Vikings ownership would rather the public have to foot the bill than themselves.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Roughly the cost of one middle-tier starting skill position player. If NFL owners can afford THAT expense, they can afford to keep their stadiums maintained. But no, Johnny Taxpayer will probably wind up picking up the tab.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Roughly the cost of one middle-tier starting skill position player. If NFL owners can afford THAT expense, they can afford to keep their stadiums maintained. But no, Johnny Taxpayer will probably wind up picking up the tab.
Taxes suck!

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
I guess the more modern and higher tech you go the more it costs to maintain.

Wow - it's taken years but finally a subject on the board I have some knowledge in. Life Cycle Costs of a Building which include Operations and Maintenance (O&M) can be up to 5 times the initial capital cost of the building. I'm a Facilities Management Professional and as an example - last year took part in a Long Range Infrastructure Project for an east valley city. For the current portfolio of 1.1 million square feet of Facilities and 800 acres or so of Parks, we were looking at a cost of about 11 million per year to maintain/repair/eventually replace assets as they reached the end of their Useful Equipment Life. You summed it up perfectly - big, complex, expensive buildings cost a lot to operate and maintain. Frequently, orgs don't plan on that, get sticker shock and start deferring maintenance. Deferred maintenance, as you might expect, costs more in the long run. I suspect that's why Chase Field is in the current mess.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Wow - it's taken years but finally a subject on the board I have some knowledge in. Life Cycle Costs of a Building which include Operations and Maintenance (O&M) can be up to 5 times the initial capital cost of the building. I'm a Facilities Management Professional and as an example - last year took part in a Long Range Infrastructure Project for an east valley city. For the current portfolio of 1.1 million square feet of Facilities and 800 acres or so of Parks, we were looking at a cost of about 11 million per year to maintain/repair/eventually replace assets as they reached the end of their Useful Equipment Life. You summed it up perfectly - big, complex, expensive buildings cost a lot to operate and maintain. Frequently, orgs don't plan on that, get sticker shock and start deferring maintenance. Deferred maintenance, as you might expect, costs more in the long run. I suspect that's why Chase Field is in the current mess.
I suspect you suspect correctly.