Stoudemire: 'I want to be that guy'

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
"As a player, you should look at the teams you might want to play for. The city you may want to live in. The system you may want to play in. The economy. The cost of living. Everything. It's about what's best for you."

he's going to leave Phoenix.
:(

AZ Sports Native

It's a dry heat.
Reaction score
"As a player, you should look at the teams you might want to play for. The city you may want to live in. The system you may want to play in. The economy. The cost of living. Everything. It's about what's best for you."
Is this multimillionaire seriously worried about the cost of living??? This just adds more fuel to the "Amare is an idiot" fire.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Is this multimillionaire seriously worried about the cost of living??? This just adds more fuel to the "Amare is an idiot" fire.

Only an idiot doesnt worry about cost of living when some cities have a 10% city wage tax(Phila), that might mean 1.5 mil per for amare. Any athlete who has a 10-12 year acareer and doesnt worry about those things IS an idiot. Even then, the cost of living was the LAST thing he mentioned.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only an idiot doesnt worry about cost of living when some cities have a 10% city wage tax(Phila), that might mean 1.5 mil per for amare. Any athlete who has a 10-12 year acareer and doesnt worry about those things IS an idiot. Even then, the cost of living was the LAST thing he mentioned.

agreed. as dumb as this sounds, to quote Patrick Ewing: These guys make a lot of money, but they spend a lot of money too. everything's relative.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A little sad. It should be factored in, but overall if you have 1 million in your account, you and your kids are safe if you are half way competent.

Sure you need the money for the rest of your life, but most people make do with a family for about 50-100k in todays dollars year in and year out. They survive just fine. Many on far less.

The people that don't need protection, want the utmost and unbreakable protection. Sounds a bit like real life too. Which is why it's asinine to go about things in this manner. You can almost never produce that, and it takes away so much from so many other areas.

I did things to allow me to be the biggest dummy with my money and I should still be able to buy whatever I want, whenever I want, for every day on this earth.

But then again Amare is a cheap guy. Just ask the people who serve him when he goes out to the clubs. Insert imagination of video of a bunch of baby chicks.

I do see a bit frustration, I do see this as him acting like a spoiled brat.

Didn't we bring shaq in also as a favor for him? His childhood idol? What a panzy if he's hating on it now.

You wanted it, suck it up, if it isn't exactly like it was in your dreams.

Of course I still like Amare, but his actions are quite childish.

We indeed may lose him. Some of us have thought that for years. But again, alot can change in a 1 1/2 years.

I do agree though that he should be getting a whole lot more pick and rolls. I just don't see why we don't run the pick and roll through amare, and also go through shaq. Instead of running the pick and roll 20-30 times (it seemed) the past few years per game, it seems we've been doing it like three times per game, late in games. There is a happy medium. Run the pick and roll 15-22 times, give the other touches to shaq. Sounds simpler than it is, but it seems like we are going to the extremes. Don't go to the extremes, do both, do both alot. If both are working, your outside game will open up. Being able to go to either at any given time, and have both in rhythm would be almost impossible to stop. Especially if the 3's are going down.

And someone might want to tell him, that other then say Oklahoma City, there isn't many places that have a lower cost of living then here. So cheap Amare better realize that, as many other places besides here cost 10-30 percent more, rough pull out of my butt figure. Hey Amare you know that the McDonalds in NYC don't have 99cent burgers, and haven't for a loooooooooooong time. Look at every 99cent special, and even in like 1993 it said 1.29 or 1.39 in NYC. Think of the toll roads/bridges, the traffic, etc.

As much as Amare looks stupid for what he says, the Suns are stupid for allowing all of this to happen.

When did the ineptitude switch happen between the Cards and the Suns?

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
More Stoudemire comments:
"Anywhere inside the 3-point line, I can score, but it's not an individual game," Stoudemire said. "As a team, we've got to figure out how to get better."
Same old, same old. I would just like to once hear Amare acknowledge some weakness in his own game and how he plans on addressing it, not "I'm even better now" or "the team needs to do this or that." Amare is certainly not the only one to blame for our recent struggles, and Porter's new offense is definitely contributing to his own struggles. But he didn't like D'Antoni's offense either, and was very vocal about that as well. Why can't he just once admit that he didn't play as well as he should have? A little humility never hurt anyone.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
"I've talked to him a lot about having to grow in other areas of his game in order to be mentioned with guys like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. Those guys came in and had a presence offensively, but as the years progressed, their defense got considerably better. And Amare has gotten better from day one. So in my mind, I believe he'll be fine."

I can't blame Terry Porter for saying this since it's true. Amare has been in the league 6 yrs and only his offense has improved. Maybe he's testing Amare to see how he reacts. Maybe later down the road Porter will make him the focal point once he proves he can be a complete player.

Having said that, I think Amare needs to feel he's the go-to-guy and that will fuel his energy and focus in the other areas.

nowagimp

Reaction score
A little sad. It should be factored in, but overall if you have 1 million in your account, you and your kids are safe if you are half way competent.

Huh? Tell that to the people who lost everything in the banking scandal economy. Also I hate to break it to you, but 1 mil wont cover you, and your kids and their healthcare over the next 30 years, not even close. You obviously havent spoken to a financial advisor recently.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I can't blame Terry Porter for saying this since it's true. Amare has been in the league 6 yrs and only his offense has improved. Maybe he's testing Amare to see how he reacts. Maybe later down the road Porter will make him the focal point once he proves he can be a complete player.

Having said that, I think Amare needs to feel he's the go-to-guy and that will fuel his energy and focus in the other areas.

Porter better be careful how he "tests" amare. Porter is basically an unproven coach, as is Kerr a GM. Do ya think amare might rather work for pops/buford, or PJ/kupchak or larry brown or joe dumars? He likely will get his chance to work with a proven championship caliber organization. Porter had better be careful.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Players go where they are traded but free agents can sign where they feel wanted and appreciated. Someone can sign Amare away if we let a riff develop. Steve Nash signed with us because we showed him we wanted and were willing to pay him so he felt more appreciated by us than Cuban. Grant Hill, Matt Barnes chose to play here for a reason, (if Sarver hasn't fouled that up in two years)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Porter better be careful how he "tests" amare. Porter is basically an unproven coach, as is Kerr a GM. Do ya think amare might rather work for pops/buford, or PJ/kupchak or larry brown or joe dumars? He likely will get his chance to work with a proven championship caliber organization. Porter had better be careful.

If the Suns continue their two personality style under Porter, I can easily see the Suns go into a rebuilding mode near the February trading deadline. IMO, Amare will undoubtedly opt out of his contract. Porter needs to decide if they are a running team that tries to play a little defense or a team that feeds Shaq as a first option. I liked it better with when Shaq's primary job was to focus on defense or as another option when the Suns need to play half-court. IMO, Amare should be the first option for Nash.

cly2tw

Reaction score
If the Suns continue their two personality style under Porter, I can easily see the Suns go into a rebuilding mode near the February trading deadline. IMO, Amare will undoubtedly opt out of his contract. Porter needs to decide if they are a running team that tries to play a little defense or a team that feeds Shaq as a first option. I liked it better with when Shaq's primary job was to focus on defense or as another option when the Suns need to play half-court. IMO, Amare should be the first option for Nash.

True. Hyprid offense = schizophrenia. The team either rebuilds or totally, unconditionally commits to playing half court primarily with opportunist fastbreaks when there is chance. Actually, that's what Porter probably initially wanted with the comments "only run after stops". But he apparently surrendered to Nash/Bell's demand to run more than that.

There is no excuse if our perimeters guys can't deliver passes into our bigmen in good position. It's frustrating to watch that even Singletary decided not to be patient enough to wait for the best chance to get the ball to Amare or making his Marbury impersonation of only using him as the decoy after p-n-r. In early games he was patient, which probably gained him the first PG off the bench in the first place.

I believe coach and mgt should have a set min. avg for shots for Amare say 17 a game and consider it a failure if they don't achieve that. Forced this way, they will have to work on both Amare gaining good position and guards delivering the passes to him properly. And don't let initial failure deter you! Since the alternative is rebuilding now, and with Amare defecting for sure.:mulli:

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
About the offense, Dragic, Singletary, Lopez, Amundson, Barnes never learned 7 seconds or less under D'antoni so to expect them to be able to run the fast offense at will and be on the same page as everyone else, is going to be difficult.

Nash can sort this out if coach Porter allows running when the players feel it. Porter still needs to demand more effort on defense and rebounding from everyone (and where is the team defense?). We look like last year's defense again. Ole' :madarms:

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
first off, Dragic sucks, give me Singletary any day of the week. I honestly think I could D up Goran. His game is only a "little" bit special because he is a left. His shot is below average, he can't dribble with his right hand(watch next time hes in), and he doesn't have superior athleticism... Also haven't seen him with any impressive passes in the post.

What kerr saw in this guy I dont know. I remember his highlight video and thinking he was a little passive, but that behind the back move in the highlight video, he tried that and couldn't get it all teh way behind the back...

If your out there Dragic I want to D you up, I've played Bayless, the Fontenot twins, and Coach Frank Johnson at the village, Bagga, Daniel Dillon, Wise and Rodgers at U of A, and Doug Flutie in SD(he was good), I guarantee I could ball Dragic up, he ****ing sucks.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
i got so distracted with How much Dragic sucks taht I forgot the topic....

Amare seems disinterested in the offense, his hands are always up as if to say "why didn't you pass it to me in that spot" (happnes most when Barbosa has the ball), he is just lacking that PEP in his step he used to have.

We are seeing a "passive" Amare, instead of the old "violent, I hope he doesn't get T'ed up or too many offensive fouls" Amare that I used to love.

Amare you are SAVAGE AS ****, act it and disrespect your opponent with facials, T-bags, and nasty blocks.

I wish I could kick this into Amare's head, I know Porter can't get any message into anyones head because noone understands what he is saying when he is slurring words together and slobbering while he is talking.

SunsFanVegas

Registered
Reaction score
i got so distracted with How much Dragic sucks taht I forgot the topic....

Amare seems disinterested in the offense, his hands are always up as if to say "why didn't you pass it to me in that spot" (happnes most when Barbosa has the ball), he is just lacking that PEP in his step he used to have.

We are seeing a "passive" Amare, instead of the old "violent, I hope he doesn't get T'ed up or too many offensive fouls" Amare that I used to love.

Amare you are SAVAGE AS ****, act it and disrespect your opponent with facials, T-bags, and nasty blocks.

I wish I could kick this into Amare's head, I know Porter can't get any message into anyones head because noone understands what he is saying when he is slurring words together and slobbering while he is talking.

LOL I'm glad someone else noticed this too I have a real hard time understanding what he is trying to say.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare running his mouth again... what a shock! Amare will never be mentioned with those other players until he puts the freaking effort in on both ends of the court. He is constantly standing around doing nothing, constantly out of position and is just terrible for the most part on D. For a guy who SAYS he wants to be one of the best he sure doesn't put in the effort on the floor.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Huh? Tell that to the people who lost everything in the banking scandal economy. Also I hate to break it to you, but 1 mil wont cover you, and your kids and their healthcare over the next 30 years, not even close. You obviously havent spoken to a financial advisor recently.

lol

Sure it would. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Before the crash I knew of the 100k limit. Never had that much, but I'd make sure I was covered.

And 1 mill would if you spend it right.

200k for a house, never a dime in rent again in your life
Work for a living, even making 20k a year, what you have should last you.
Don't have to buy the Escalade
Don't have to eat at Ruth Chris's steak house

Not my fault if they spend like they'll always get that income. I'm just saying what the average person is doing.

I'm happy with my 2003 Chevy cavalier I bought for 2800.

College education? Well if you don't make alot, financial aid is an option.

If they want to go to ASU, even with the price increases, it's doable. They don't have to live in a dorm, they can live at home or pay for their own rent.

Not saying you have to do things like that, but if you have to, you can.

Healthcare? Well we could get into that one, but it would cross into P and R.

If we had universal hc, it wouldn't matter how much you made

With 1 percent interest, 1 million dollars will accrue 10k a year in interest. That'll pay for all your food right there even if you aren't stretching it, but not also not splurging.

I also said, that the person with a million dollars, would make 50-100k a year, for the rest of their life whatever the value of the dollar is. If the dollar is worth half as much, and we're all getting paid doubld for the same work, 100-200k a year, or if deflation hits, and it goes down to 25-50k, whatever.

But then again living off a million dollars, and working for minimum wage the rest of your life is doable. It is. I guarantee it. You can't live like a millionaire, but then again 99 percent of us don't. We get by just fine with less and most making 30-70k a year.

I will never need a financial advisor. I can do my own leg work. Got A's in two accounting classes. I don't believe in all the hype people tell me, I think for myself. I was clipping coupons before age 10, but then again I was adding and subtracting at 18 months, and use to also ponder the 100k FDIC insurance in the 1980's, when I was born in 1978, so maybe it's just me.

But I also have to think the average person is capable of living off cheap food, cheap rent, cheap cars, cheap vacations, cheap everything, except when you splurge or on a few select items.

I live it. My family was never rich, we didn't have money sucked from us through credit cards, we didn't pay rent because we owned our house. It was great for when my dad couldn't find work for three years before finally retiring and taking social security at 62 even though he's in Who's Who Worldwide. That said, we spent money where it counted. So I and we as a family had some nice things even if we couldn't afford everything we wanted, we bought what counts. Even to the point where in many ways I had some of the trendiest clothes and newest video game systems.

Don't believe it nowagimp, and with the name maybe you have very costly medical problems???? So there is always an outlier in the statistics pool. But unless there is something major, then it would be enough.

What I know is, you give me that much money, and I can make it work. If I can, everyone else can.

Besides this is Amare, who has well more than a million and eats at McDonalds, and tips his bartender/hostesses like crap. I'm sure he'll be fine.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Play some defense and learn to control your anger BEFORE you spout off like a pompous dolt, Mr. Stoudemire.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare is a great talent. IMO the guy has improved ever year. Having said that...Amare can't put is name up there with those other guys regardless of "how hard he works" unless it shows on the floor.

He needs to be more consistant rebounding. He needs to continue to improve on defense. The problem I see with Amare right now is that he wants the NAME TAG that says "go to guy" regardless if he is actually consistant enough to be that guy yet.

There is no way we win a title with this group of guys this year. We are not good enough. So, if this team doesn't decide to make some moves to shore up this squad and make a run......give Amare his chance. Feed him the rock and let it ride. At the end of the season, if this team is no better off......Amare will have nobody to blame but himself.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Amare is a great talent. IMO the guy has improved ever year. Having said that...Amare can't put is name up there with those other guys regardless of "how hard he works" unless it shows on the floor.

He needs to be more consistant rebounding. He needs to continue to improve on defense. The problem I see with Amare right now is that he wants the NAME TAG that says "go to guy" regardless if he is actually consistant enough to be that guy yet.

There is no way we win a title with this group of guys this year. We are not good enough. So, if this team doesn't decide to make some moves to shore up this squad and make a run......give Amare his chance. Feed him the rock and let it ride. At the end of the season, if this team is no better off......Amare will have nobody to blame but himself.

I agree with you 100% especially the part about Amare.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he could keep his big mouth shut and stop picking up ******** fouls and stay on the floor that might be an idea, problem is he can't do either!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great post.

I totally agree, give Amare his chance. This team is not going anywhere without him and as of right now... he is the Suns future. However, I can see changes coming before the February trading deadline if the ship is not righted.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard