Stoudemire: 'I want to be that guy'

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
Stoudemire: 'I want to be that guy'

PHOENIX -- The scene was the home locker room, minutes after the Suns had emphatically illustrated they are not who we're used to seeing and certainly are not where they want to be. Amare Stoudemire stood at his locker with his head bowed, looking distant amid a crowd of familiar faces, resembling a sad puppy who had lost his way.

The Phoenix Suns had not only been beaten by the Los Angeles Lakers over the course of 48 excruciating minutes, they had been beat down. L.A.'s precision had been in full effect, its togetherness undeniable, as had been the Lakers' depth and confidence. And so, indeed, had been the good time they were having at the Suns' expense.

"They did look really good out there," Stoudemire said, deadpan. "They were fluid, flowing. Just doing what they do. I remember when we looked like that."

Stoudemire stopped right there.

He knew he didn't need to say another word.

The Suns, 11-5 on the season, still sit near the top of the Western Conference standings. They still have Stoudemire and Steve Nash. Add the usual bandits like Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and Grant Hill, and one would think Phoenix is still the same potent team it's been in recent memory.

Except that is simply not true.

For one thing, the Suns don't have departed coach Mike D'Antoni, who averaged 58 wins the past four seasons. In his place is new coach Terry Porter, whose mandate is to tweak the offense and cater more to Shaquille O'Neal (acquired from Miami halfway into last season) -- but more so to fix a defense that surrendered 105 points per game (24th in the league) and 45.6 percent shooting from the field (18th in the league) last season.

Supposedly, this transition will transform the Suns from all-entertainment status to legitimate title contenders. So say Hill and almost everyone else in Phoenix's locker room.

Almost!

"I hope so," said Stoudemire, who is averaging 22.6 points, 8.3 rebounds and 57.4 percent shooting from the field thus far, showing little regression despite the changes. "The goal is bigger than just myself. It's to win a championship. Do everything it takes. But in the process, I'm also trying to be the best I can be, too."

Sorry! But few, if any, can tell what direction Phoenix is headed right now.

In recent seasons, the Suns were considered a top-three team in the West. Now, with the emergence of the Lakers, Utah, New Orleans and Houston, along with omnipresent San Antonio (when healthy), the Suns are lucky if they get mentioned in the top six.

The Suns are running less, and less effectively, than they have in years past. The frenetic pace made so famous by D'Antoni has virtually disappeared during the first month of this season.

Time and again, spacing is an issue because Shaq is clogged in the middle where Stoudemire used to be all by himself. It forces Stoudemire to stay away from the basket more, engaging in predictable pick-and-rolls or just being a perimeter shooter -- when everyone knows his athleticism and aerial assault were what made him arguably the best offensive power forward in the game over the past two seasons.

When asked about his situation, Stoudemire said, "You've got LeBron James who's a featured guy. You've got Dwyane Wade. He's a featured guy. Dwight Howard? They go to him. Chris Bosh? They go to him.

"Bottom line: I want to be that guy. I want to show the league and the world that I feel like my game has improved to that level."

When asked whether he felt Porter's new system was helping that cause, Stoudemire said, "I'm not sure."

When told it wasn't good for him to feel that way, his response: "It ain't great!"

Stoudemire left it at that. So Porter, knowing Stoudemire -- and others -- might have some reservations about the new world order in Phoenix, elected to elaborate for him.

"The important thing with Amare is that we have to continue to win games," Porter said. "He's getting touches in the areas he needs to get touches. He just has to be aggressive. I think the last few games he's gotten the ball in the areas he's needed to get the ball. He's gotten the attempts he's needed. We just have to keep working at it.

"I've talked to him a lot about having to grow in other areas of his game in order to be mentioned with guys like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. Those guys came in and had a presence offensively, but as the years progressed, their defense got considerably better. And Amare has gotten better from day one. So in my mind, I believe he'll be fine."

The thing is, it doesn't matter how anyone but Stoudemire feels, as it pertains to Stoudemire, if the future is what the Suns are concerned about.

Shaq goes out of his way to say, "Amare is a helluva player. He's the most athletic power forward I've seen in a while, and he's our main guy." But that hasn't stopped anyone from noticing Phoenix is, as Bell says, "Shaq's team right now. No complaints. We're just all adjusting."

Then there's Nash, the former two-time league MVP, looking bewildered for the first time in years. As point guard, he feels similar concern, despite having the ball in his hands most of the time.

"You're not wrong in that we're not where we want to be yet," Nash said. "We're not running as much as we would like to. We've got some work to do.

"We emphasized going inside and our half-court game for six weeks during training camp and the preseason. That's what you're seeing. If we play too methodically for all 82 games, it's going to wear guys down. No doubt.

"But [Porter] wants us to run. We want to run. Eventually, we'll be fine."

They'd better be. Because while all this talk has circulated about the potential 2010 availability of LeBron, D-Wade and Bosh, they are not alone on that list.

Asked whether he thinks about his own availability in 2010, Stoudemire didn't hesitate: "Absolutely! You have to look at those opportunities because this is a business and you want to explore every option. I guarantee you every owner will explore their options, especially when a player's contract is up. So it's the same for players. It's definitely the same for me.

"As a player, you should look at the teams you might want to play for. The city you may want to live in. The system you may want to play in. The economy. The cost of living. Everything. It's about what's best for you."

Are you listening, Phoenix? Rest assured, 29 other teams certainly are.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=smith_stephen&page=Stoudemire-081128

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What a depressing article, again, it points out what many of us think are the major problems with the offense and the direction of the team in general. Let's keep alienating our only hope for the future though, that seems to be a good plan.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
At what point does Amare be held responsible? Apparently nobody's style of play is good enough for him.

He hated Mariom, we shipped him out. He grew tired of nobody playing defense under D'Antoni, we kicked him to the curb. Now he's bitching about Porter?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At what point does Amare be held responsible? Apparently nobody's style of play is good enough for him.

He hated Mariom, we shipped him out. He grew tired of nobody playing defense under D'Antoni, we kicked him to the curb. Now he's bitching about Porter?

I don't think that's a fair assessment of what happened. Marion would still be here regardless of Amare's feelings if the Suns had shown they could beat a contender last year. The Suns had been feasting on the also-rans while getting run by the best teams.

Amare's a whiner, not a malcontent. I think there's a difference.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Riiiiiiight it is all Amare. Amare this. Amare that. Amare made Marion ask to be traded. Amare made D'antoni not want to incorporate defense. When Amare leaves the complainers will look around and say too bad Amare left but why didn't he like us?

I love having hiim on the Suns. I hope he dunks on your heads.:mulli:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Amare, we want you to be that guy too, so let your game do the talking.

cly2tw

Reaction score
People who criticize Amare for not improving his game but still wanting a bigger role, they conveniently forgot how terrible Horward, Al Jefferson, among others played offensively for 3-4 years before they get where they are now. Their teams let them be and endured the whole pain of the growing process. Amare has not been given the chances for learning from failure, constant failure, on the Suns. When anyone simply blames him for everything, they should take this into consideration, to be fair. JJ fought out such a chance for himself and came to unfold his whole talent.

After all is said and done, Amare might be just the superstar talent wasted on Suns myopic attitude towards him! :(

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Dont put much credence into anything Stephen A. Smith puts out there. I've seen more credible stuff written on the stalls of a Flying J than what comes out of that poor bastards mouth. Typical east coast spin. Heaven forbid a west coast team besides L.A. get some respect.

Hey Stephen, last I checked, Phoenix just leap frogged your town Phili as the 5th largest market in the U.S. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Amare is THAT guy, he is the go to guy when it matters. The only reason Shaq may get more touches early on is to get him into a rhythm.

I also think this article was saying something that wasn't clearly said. Amare just whats to be the focus on a team and he is, but it doesn't look like that when they establish Shaq first.

I don't think Amare meant to diss Shaq or the system or anything, just venting his frustration, which is understandable...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
anyone failing to recognize this as "mcdyess part II" is sticking their head in the sand. ainge didn't utilize mcdyess to his fullest extent and mcdyess became an easy target for denver. the same will surely happen with amare at this rate. his comments in the last two paragraphs of that article confirm it.

unfortunately, our front office and ownership are just too damn stupid to recognize what they're doing. yeah, cater to the aged on the team who won't be here in two years. aged that have no shot of getting us to a championship. the suns have become laughable to me. a quiet, sad, tearful laugh of a franchise. hello phoenix kings.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
So far, Porter's direction does not make much sense. Shaq is not the franchise player... Amare is. Feed the beast.

Good article... perfectly highlights the issues with this declining franchise!

Last edited:

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
i hate the suns management. Sarver sucks, Kerr sucks, Porter sucks. Im glad Im in colorado so I don't see every game. 1 point win over the Thunder, and the games I have seen haven't even been competitive. We sucked against teh lakers and we suck tonight.

Can Sarver please sell the team? Colangelo, you still out there?

OP
OP
LV-Suns

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
I am pretty much giving up on Amare. I actually don't even mind if he leaves for anywhere else that he wishing to be.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Some of you guys need to get a grip. Amare Stoudemire is expressing his concerns over his role on this team, and he is being used in a way that sacrifices his role, and the team was blown out by the lakers. What do you expect him to feel like, powerless, while one of the suns chief rivals blows them out. Do you think amare has doubts of an offense with tons of turnovers and no easy baskets. Its his right to doubt his employers and their actions, and amare knows this offense is NOT nearly as efficient as the DA offense. He needs to consider all angles, defensive improvement etc, but if I were him, I'd also ask questions, but perhaps not in public. Some of these guys talk to steven A, and amare said too much. But it is a concern that he may opt to go somewhere else based on the "system".

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Some of you guys need to get a grip. Amare Stoudemire is expressing his concerns over his role on this team, and he is being used in a way that sacrifices his role, and the team was blown out by the lakers. What do you expect him to feel like, powerless, while one of the suns chief rivals blows them out. Do you think amare has doubts of an offense with tons of turnovers and no easy baskets. Its his right to doubt his employers and their actions, and amare knows this offense is NOT nearly as efficient as the DA offense. He needs to consider all angles, defensive improvement etc, but if I were him, I'd also ask questions, but perhaps not in public. Some of these guys talk to steven A, and amare said too much. But it is a concern that he may opt to go somewhere else based on the "system".

Amare is the one who needs to get a grip. If he wants to be the man, he needs to play like the man. He could start with blocking out and rebounding, continue with moving without the ball, passing the basketball when he is quadruple teamed instead of forcing shots.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Amare is the one who needs to get a grip. If he wants to be the man, he needs to play like the man. He could start with blocking out and rebounding, continue with moving without the ball, passing the basketball when he is quadruple teamed instead of forcing shots.

Yeah he should continue to pass the ball to guys who cant create their own shot with the clock winding down, eh, ... no!:mad:

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Amare is not the reason the Suns are struggling. His game lately is a symptom of the bigger problem... the offensive system they are trying to run now is the problem.

ecutch

Reaction score
As one of the Team USA coaches reportedly said this summer, Amare makes great plays, he isn't a great player. Mr. Kerr, let "Me First" Stoudemire walk.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I am pretty much giving up on Amare. I actually don't even mind if he leaves for anywhere else that he wishing to be.

I'm actually here with you on this. I don't see Amare as a player with a lot of heart. If we wanted 20/8 from the 4, we could trade Amare for West or Boozer plus other parts and be a deeper team....

I am frustrated as a Suns fan, but it is not because of this season so far. We are 11-6, which will track to like 53 wins, or something. I am frustrated with how the organization has been managed for the last 10 years and now we are at a point in terms of the roster that short of blowing it all up and starting all over, literally from scratch. Iguodala, Deng, Rondo and Rodriguez are all out there and had we kept even 2 of them, it would have altered drastically how we pursued FAs and other rookies. The incompetence makes me sick. I actually feel bad for Porter because he'll guide us to our 50+ wins and we'll fade out in the playoffs until the point when the management is willing to bite the bullet on the roster and rebuild.

I'd rather be a Hawks, Blazers or Hornets fan right now.

Wonder

Registered
Reaction score
does not one person want to mention that Nash didn't play? I mean that's one of our good players missing, our starting PG missing, 2timemvp not playing, they're better and worse than they look right now with that record.

OP
OP
LV-Suns

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
Stoudemire voices displeasure with system

21 comments by Paul Coro - Nov. 28, 2008 10:15 PM
The Arizona Republic

It is not just perimeter players who are struggling to embrace the Suns' new offense.

After Friday's loss to Miami, Suns power forward Amaré Stoudemire expressed unhappiness with his role that he also shared in a Nov. 20 espn.com interview published Friday.

Asked after the game if the offense puts him in the right spots, Stoudemire said, "Sorta, kinda. Consistency for me would be great. That way, I know what to look forward to and how to attack. That way, when I do get it, I'm not off-balance or surprised I have it."

Asked if this system can provide him the chances he wants, he said, "I really don't know. I know I put in a lot of hard work this off-season to really take that next step, to really be in the class of the D-Wades (Dwyane Wade) and the LeBrons (LeBron James) and the Dwights (Dwight Howard). I put in the hard work this off-season to be in that class. Right now, I'm a little frustrated."

After making 9 of 21 shots in a Nov. 20 loss to the Lakers, Stoudemire mentioned those names to espn.com as "featured guys" to say how he wants to be the go-to guy in an offense that now starts with Shaquille O'Neal post-ups.

"I want to show the league and the world that I feel like my game has improved to that level," Stoudemire told espn.com.

He said the Lakers "were fluid, flowing . . . I remember when we looked like that."

He also talked to espn.com about free agency in 2010, when he can opt out of his contract. Such talk is bound to produce trade rumors with Stoudemire not rebounding and defending like a star. In recent games, his offensive involvement has curtailed.

"Absolutely!" Stoudemire told espn.com when asked if he thinks about 2010 free agency. "As a player, you should look at the teams you might want to play for. The city you may want to live in. The system you may want to play in. The economy. The cost of living. Everything. It's about what's best for you."
Coro picked up the ESPN article