Sting probably gone for good

DesertDog2K1

Reaction score
InsideLacrosse.com reports Sting will go dark for 2008 season, which REALLY SUCKS. I don't see them coming back in the future, either. If they don't, it will be a true shame but I can say those guys were great. Great success on the field and real gentleman off of it. What really burns me is this OVERSATURATED sports market could not support the team.

They had a lot more success (two West titles) than those other clowns that play at Jobing.com Arena (and I understand the Coyotes are responsible for pulling the plug). I wouldn't give a rat's ass if the Coyotes went dark as well. How many playoff series have the Coyotes won since they moved to Arizona from Winnipeg? That's right, a big fat ZERO.

Good luck, guys, wherever you are dispersed to. It's been a pleasure cheering for you the past few years.

HooverDam

Reaction score
What really burns me is this OVERSATURATED sports market could not support the team.

Huh? Doesn't this explain itself. Our market is oversaturarted, and thus can't support small, fringe sports like Lacrosse. Leagues like this would be much smarter hosting teams in midsize cities, that don't have many (or any) teams in the big 4 leagues. It seems to me places like the Inland Empire, Tucson, Tulsa, Ok City, Columbus, Portland, Boise, San Antonio, et cetera would be more able to support teams like this since the sporting dollar isn't spread so thin.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
off again, on again, off again.

Make up their damn minds already.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the Coyotes are responsible for pulling the plug.
If by "the Coyotes" you mean Jerry Moyes and Doug Moss, the owner and governor of the Sting who also are the owner and president of the Coyotes, then you would be right. Why wouldn't it be the owner to pull the plug?
I wouldn't give a rat's ass if the Coyotes went dark as well. How many playoff series have the Coyotes won since they moved to Arizona from Winnipeg? That's right, a big fat ZERO.
As opposed to all those titles the Cardinals and Suns have racked up during their time here?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, there's still no word on this from the NLL, Sting, or any other sports news site. What's bizarre is that the Sting just recently signed a couple of players, including an Arizona native. It makes no sense for them to do that since they would just lose them in a dispersal draft should they indeed fold. I've got a call in to Doug Moss to see what's up with this.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, there's still no word on this from the NLL, Sting, or any other sports news site. What's bizarre is that the Sting just recently signed a couple of players, including an Arizona native. It makes no sense for them to do that since they would just lose them in a dispersal draft should they indeed fold. I've got a call in to Doug Moss to see what's up with this.
Please keep us posted. This yo-yo-ing is killing me.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the word: they have officially suspended operations for 2008, but plan on being back in 2009. All current Sting players will be loaned out to the other teams by a dispersal draft but will be returned to the club in 2009 (HUGE sigh of relief there, had the team suspended operations indefinitely, the team would have lost everybody permanently). There was some sort of trouble in getting arena dates on short notice, coach Hamley a little while ago claimed that the Sting were considering playing one or two more road games than usual.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:( That sucks (no Sting this year)

:) Happy that at least for the time being, they'll be back.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Arizona and Boston have decided not to play in the NLL for 2008. Both teams are expected back in 2009, based on the player "disperal" rules above.

OP
OP
D

DesertDog2K1

Reaction score
Rumors on the NLL board are that Sting players have been notified they will NOT be back in 2009.
R.I.P. STING