Still a Playoff Team

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I‘m not too concerned. I didn’t expect the Cards to go 17-0. They lost to a good team (not great) and it took several factors for it to happen. A rookie made rookie mistakes. He’s still an impact factor I’m glad the Cards have. An unfortunate audible caused the Cards to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but as bad as they played for most of the game it’s amazing they got that close. Edmonds had a heck of a game. His best this season. Kyler had a medium game for him. He got little help from his line and the play calling. I did like the trick Wildcat for the TD.

I thought they really lost the game based on coaching. I’m very concerned about how slowly Kingsbury adapts to what the defense is trying to do. It appeared to me the Pack wanted to sell out (not just blitzing as much as stunting) to keep Murray from getting to the outside. They clearly knew how disruptive it is when Murray gets to the edge, threatens to run and pulls up throwing. It was also clear the Pack also stayed in tight lanes and collapsed the pocket to where there was little room for Murray to go forward into a pocket. Hudson’s presence might have stopped that. IMO the Cards needed to show more pre-snap motion, run some screens, a few swing passes and quick slants. The short middle of the field was open the entire game. They could have thrown short to Ertz on almost every play. Kingsbury doesn’t seem to know how valuable a TE can be. The Cards needed to burn the rush by slowing it but Kingsbury just ran his favorites again regardless of the defense he’s facing. Kingsbury puts too much pressure on Murray by constantly forcing him to personally handle the rush with his feet rather than penalizing the Pack pay for abandoning the line.

On defense my choice would have been to pull the secondary closer to the line and force Rodgers to beat them through the air. Against this receiver group I’d play more man defense except against Cobb. I’d go with one deep safety aimed at providing over the top support on Cobb’s side. I disagree with those who say you can’t blitz Rodgers. You’d have to account for the TEs & Cobb on hot reads but Rodgers is not as agile as he once was and this group of receivers wouldn’t likely peel back to help Rodgers. The defense played better than the offense but they should have been even more dominant. The Pack wanted to dominate time of possession and the Cards let them.

Several posters have noted this was reminiscent of playoff football and the Cards will have to step up their game. That’s an accurate observation. The Cards have the talent. Do they have the coaching?

I‘m thankful Watt gave the Cards such a huge start. They should make the playoffs with just solid, average play. They will face several beatable teams but the coaches must be more aware of how the Cards‘ opponents are attempting to play the game on their terms and not let that happen. This teams has a decent defense and the best array of weapons in the league. Games shouldn’t be this hard.

on almost every play.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As fans we expect every pass to be completed, every 3rd down to be made on offense and every 3rd down to be stopped on defense.
Any mistake or failed play is followed with “ Stupid call. I wouldn’t have called that.”

If AJ turns and prevents that int we’re boasting 17-0 , super bowl, blah blah blah. Suddenly, in some eyes we’re going 7-10.

We’re going to be alright. Brace yourself…. We are going to lose again this year. Gasp!

We must bring our b+ game to win against very good teams.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Still thinks it comes down to KM's health, and how long he'll be out. I'm assuming he'll miss at least one game.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I‘m not too concerned. I didn’t expect the Cards to go 17-0. They lost to a good team (not great) and it took several factors for it to happen. A rookie made rookie mistakes. He’s still an impact factor I’m glad the Cards have. An unfortunate audible caused the Cards to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but as bad as they played for most of the game it’s amazing they got that close. Edmonds had a heck of a game. His best this season. Kyler had a medium game for him. He got little help from his line and the play calling. I did like the trick Wildcat for the TD.

I thought they really lost the game based on coaching. I’m very concerned about how slowly Kingsbury adapts to what the defense is trying to do. It appeared to me the Pack wanted to sell out (not just blitzing as much as stunting) to keep Murray from getting to the outside. They clearly knew how disruptive it is when Murray gets to the edge, threatens to run and pulls up throwing. It was also clear the Pack also stayed in tight lanes and collapsed the pocket to where there was little room for Murray to go forward into a pocket. Hudson’s presence might have stopped that. IMO the Cards needed to show more pre-snap motion, run some screens, a few swing passes and quick slants. The short middle of the field was open the entire game. They could have thrown short to Ertz on almost every play. Kingsbury doesn’t seem to know how valuable a TE can be. The Cards needed to burn the rush by slowing it but Kingsbury just ran his favorites again regardless of the defense he’s facing. Kingsbury puts too much pressure on Murray by constantly forcing him to personally handle the rush with his feet rather than penalizing the Pack pay for abandoning the line.

On defense my choice would have been to pull the secondary closer to the line and force Rodgers to beat them through the air. Against this receiver group I’d play more man defense except against Cobb. I’d go with one deep safety aimed at providing over the top support on Cobb’s side. I disagree with those who say you can’t blitz Rodgers. You’d have to account for the TEs & Cobb on hot reads but Rodgers is not as agile as he once was and this group of receivers wouldn’t likely peel back to help Rodgers. The defense played better than the offense but they should have been even more dominant. The Pack wanted to dominate time of possession and the Cards let them.

Several posters have noted this was reminiscent of playoff football and the Cards will have to step up their game. That’s an accurate observation. The Cards have the talent. Do they have the coaching?

I‘m thankful Watt gave the Cards such a huge start. They should make the playoffs with just solid, average play. They will face several beatable teams but the coaches must be more aware of how the Cards‘ opponents are attempting to play the game on their terms and not let that happen. This teams has a decent defense and the best array of weapons in the league. Games shouldn’t be this hard.

on almost every play.
Spot on post... Kliffy is worried about making 'his' way work rather than playing to the team's strengths and identity. he simply still can not adjust. We have won based on offensive talent and great defense. I am convinced that going up tempo to allow Kyler have more control of audibles/having less involvement of Kliffy makes this a better offense 100%. From slow start 1st halds, to how good we look in up-tempo second halfs (this year and last year) to Kliffy being less involved in the Cleveland game - the evidence speaks for itself.

Also agree on your defensive coaching standpoint. It was maddening not to see us try something different. At least if Rodgers did torch us throw the air a few times, it would have gave the offense more possessions - which I would have like in this game as I don't think GB could have kept up if we made this a high scoring up-tempo affair.

Queue the Kliffy defenders without validation other than our record... which Kiem should be credited.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
and before someone jumps in with this would be different talk had AJ not been gassed and have the ultimate mental gaff of the game...I still would feel the same - we should have won this game convincingly. Can't $#!* the bed all game..at home.. on the national spotlight...We got out coached 100%!

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Spot on post... Kliffy is worried about making 'his' way work rather than playing to the team's strengths and identity. he simply still can not adjust. We have won based on offensive talent and great defense. I am convinced that going up tempo to allow Kyler have more control of audibles/having less involvement of Kliffy makes this a better offense 100%. From slow start 1st halds, to how good we look in up-tempo second halfs (this year and last year) to Kliffy being less involved in the Cleveland game - the evidence speaks for itself.

Also agree on your defensive coaching standpoint. It was maddening not to see us try something different. At least if Rodgers did torch us throw the air a few times, it would have gave the offense more possessions - which I would have like in this game as I don't think GB could have kept up if we made this a high scoring up-tempo affair.

Queue the Kliffy defenders without validation other than our record... which Kiem should be credited.

Actual facts and evidence:

KK's playbook = KK's offence.

As for the "D", if not for a muffed punt and interception within 15 yds of the goal line, we would likely have given up 14 pts.

And it was good enough that we had the ball in our hands and an opportunity to win in the end.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ya I completely disagree and don't feel this is a confirmed fact/evidence "KK's playbook = KK's offence."...My opinion is it is more so Kyler and the weapons around him. Put 31 other OC's and I don't think your results vary much or if at all (other than pairing a more competent OC.. thus better results).

Up-tempo is far more Kyler doing the work than Kliffy. Audible's by the QB and adjustments on the fly.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As fans we expect every pass to be completed, every 3rd down to be made on offense and every 3rd down to be stopped on defense.
Any mistake or failed play is followed with “ Stupid call. I wouldn’t have called that.”

If AJ turns and prevents that int we’re boasting 17-0 , super bowl, blah blah blah. Suddenly, in some eyes we’re going 7-10.

We’re going to be alright. Brace yourself…. We are going to lose again this year. Gasp!

We must bring our b+ game to win against very good teams.

Not only we will lose again, we will lose to a team we should beat comfortably.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Actual facts and evidence:

KK's playbook = KK's offence.

As for the "D", if not for a muffed punt and interception within 15 yds of the goal line, we would likely have given up 14 pts.

And it was good enough that we had the ball in our hands and an opportunity to win in the end.
Considering the packers moved the ball pretty convincingly on us in the first half I’m not sure I understand the basis for this comment.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Kingsbury does seem slow to react to what the opponent is doing. Maybe he needs an offensive coordinator who can spot things quickly and suggest adjustments. :bang:

Edmunds did play well. Moore made multiple mistakes and the O-line definitely misses Rodney Hudson.

VJ likes to play a shell defense and force the opponent to drive the length of the field. Green Bay has a good enough run offense with Jones to do that, especially with J.J. Watt out of the game.

Yes, this is a playoff team, and hopefully they can win the division and host a playoff game.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ya I completely disagree and don't feel this is a confirmed fact/evidence "KK's playbook = KK's offence."...My opinion is it is more so Kyler and the weapons around him. Put 31 other OC's and I don't think your results vary much or if at all (other than pairing a more competent OC.. thus better results).

Up-tempo is far more Kyler doing the work than Kliffy. Audible's by the QB and adjustments on the fly.

Right. :shrug:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Considering the packers moved the ball pretty convincingly on us in the first half I’m not sure I understand the basis for this comment.

I'm sure you don't, and even if you did you'd dog me.

Riddle me this: Why didn't they score more than 24 given their convincing movement of the ball; why did it come down to a muffed punt leading to 3 and a pick-off inside the 15 yd line adding 7?

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardinals are a playoff team. Agree with Harry.

Only thing we need is health. If Cardinals core players are healthy by week 15,16 watch out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We have one of the best red zone defenses in the NFL? :shrug:
The argument was the only reason they scored that much was bc we put them in good field position. The presumption made there is they wouldn’t be able to get into the good field position without our turnovers. That’s faulty given the fact they drive consistently on us in the first quarter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Riddle me this: Why didn't they score more than 24 given their convincing movement of the ball; why did it come down to a muffed punt leading to 3 and a pick-off inside the 15 yd line adding 7?
Bc in the SECOND half we started moving the ball and playing better defense. In the FIRST half - you know when we got the short field that you claim is the only reason they scored - they moved the ball at will.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Also, just because I disagree with you doesn’t (a) mean I’m “dogging you” and (b) certainly doesn’t require a snide attack on me. Funny how the most delicate on here are quickest to attack.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How good a defense is all comes down to points allowed. We are now 3rd in the NFL, allowing 17.2 ppg. Bills #1, Saints #2. The Packers scored 14 pts on two drives that started in the red zone due to turnovers. The majority of their points. They also had long, time consuming drives that ate clock and resulted in ten points. That's because the defense made two turnovers on downs at the end of two of those drives.

Both things you guys are arguing about are true. So, what's the beef?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff as usual, Harry. I just hope we don't have a second half of the season collapse like we did last year. If Kyler is not really 100%, I would rest him against the 49ers.

AzRedbird69

Rookie
Reaction score
Just a couple observations. KK doesn't seem to have any killer instinct. Aaron and co. we're attacking Marcus Wilson with short passes. I didn't see our game plan develope. Didn't see any determination on O. The last drive was great, the first 3/4 was not. Defensively was too soft most of the time. ARod was never really pressured, he released it quickly or they ran for 5-6 yards

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We are the best team in the league.

Chandler J is back. Get Rodney Hudson back. Keep Kyler and DHop mobile. All will be well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose