Stephen King's It (remake)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am excited and I loved the mini-series (minus the ending). From what I understand they will not try to cram everything into one movie. As I understand it, this is part 1 of two movies from what I read. That is unless it changed.

That is the best approach. There is no way to fit everything into one movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am excited and I loved the mini-series (minus the ending). From what I understand they will not try to cram everything into one movie. As I understand it, this is part 1 of two movies from what I read. That is unless it changed.

That is the best approach. There is no way to fit everything into one movie.

DEVOURED the book as a teenager and the mini-series was freaking great (save the end... agreed there).

I'm excited to see what a big budget R rated version of this story will be and have been pretty surprised that the reaction has been so large. It's getting more attention than Fast 8 did on social media when the trailer dropped. Thought it was just my generation (40 now) and younger who loved this, but my 18 year old little brother was all over it also.

What do we think... is this Stephen King's biggest cross-over multi-generational book? It was always my second favorite to the extended version of The Stand and I know there's lots of Gunslinger fans out there, but I still feel like a majority of people would have no clue what those were and instantly know It.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This new one will be nothing but the same old jump scares, whats behind the door, lights flickering, something in the shadows, I heard a sound, yada yada.

arms behind door - check
flickering projector - check
sewer jump scare- check
pennywise in water - check

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Although im still probably gonna see it regardless

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
DEVOURED the book as a teenager and the mini-series was freaking great (save the end... agreed there).

I'm excited to see what a big budget R rated version of this story will be and have been pretty surprised that the reaction has been so large. It's getting more attention than Fast 8 did on social media when the trailer dropped. Thought it was just my generation (40 now) and younger who loved this, but my 18 year old little brother was all over it also.

What do we think... is this Stephen King's biggest cross-over multi-generational book? It was always my second favorite to the extended version of The Stand and I know there's lots of Gunslinger fans out there, but I still feel like a majority of people would have no clue what those were and instantly know It.

When it was first announced in 2009 people were mostly negative. As you stated it beat out the FF trailer for the most views in 24 hours which means public interest is extremely high despite what some folks are saying.

Honestly, this could that crossover provided they don't screw it up. Especially, if this movie leaves you wanting for the second one.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The movie was phenomenal. I was skeptical but the best way I can describe this is Stand By Me in a horror genre. It was great. Stranger Things but with a creepy clown instead of an alien thing would be another description.

Which is ironic because the lead in Stranger Things (Finn Wolfhard) was absolutely awesome in this movie. Andrés Muschietti managed a perfect balance of humor, drama and horror. Something that the vast majority of directors screw up in this genre.

Seriously, this movie cracked by Top 5 movies in this genre for me. I can't wait for Chapter 2.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I had high hopes but I was massively disappointed, and that's all I'm gonna say about it. Just didn't work for me personally.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was an incredible movie with layers upon layers upon layers. The imagery and metaphor were woven expertly into this film. Best horror movie since Cabin in the Woods, bar none.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was an incredible movie with layers upon layers upon layers. The imagery and metaphor were woven expertly into this film. Best horror movie since Cabin in the Woods, bar none.

Loved the pop cultural references in this movie.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

Totally agree, this version of IT is fantastic. Well made flick in many ways as you mention, and an excellent cast. Sort of like a super dark "Stand By Me". I'm really looking forward to Chapter 2 now.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welp, that does it, I am going to see this.

my 9 year old saw the original and talked about it for months. hes dying to see this and wants to be pennywise for Halloween

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I feel like you guys are all pranking me. Where's Ashton?

I honestly thought it was comically, laughably bad. I mean seriously during the most "intense horror scenes" the whole theater was laughing and chuckling. I saw it with 3 other people and we all completely agreed that it pretty much couldn't have been worse.

So I dont understand how I can be this far apart from my ASFN friends on this movie. What was good about it? Did you honestly think it was scary?

The only thing good about it was the intentional humor, there were some really funny lines, but it was offset by the unintentional humor and SUPER campy special effects. IMO The scene in the sewer where the clown danced seriously reminded me of Zoolander during the brainwashing scene. I thought it was Will Farrell up there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
is it only rated R because of cuss words and scary scenes?

Yeah there was no nudity or anything. Some of the boys jokes are a little crude, ya know, as teenage boys can be. Most of that will probably go over a 9 year olds head tho.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah there was no nudity or anything. Some of the boys jokes are a little crude, ya know, as teenage boys can be. Most of that will probably go over a 9 year olds head tho.
thanks!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed it immensely.. The humor added in to mix with the suspense was done really well and the cast was excellent... I don't know what the hell Bert saw :)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I enjoyed it immensely.. The humor added in to mix with the suspense was done really well and the cast was excellent... I don't know what the hell Bert saw :)

Seriously I'm gonna have to go see it again. I'm normally on the same page as you guys and I respect your opinions on movies. I've seen a bunch of movies based on your guys recommendations which is why this is my favorite part of the forum.. This is really confusing to me.

I'm not even trying to be contrary or different, I like genuinely HATED it lol. I 100% expected all you guys to be in here trashing it to no end.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously I'm gonna have to go see it again. I'm normally on the same page as you guys and I respect your opinions on movies. I've seen a bunch of movies based on your guys recommendations which is why this is my favorite part of the forum.. This is really confusing to me.

I'm not even trying to be contrary or different, I like genuinely HATED it lol. I 100% expected all you guys to be in here trashing it to no end.

I honestly have no idea what movie you were watching. Two things, I was a fan of the original and I was super skeptical of them touching this movie. My expectations were low even though I thought the trailer looked good.

My expectations were exceeded in almost every single way. My teenage daughter never seeing the original now wants to see it after this. She loved this movie. She normally finds horror films to be really bad movies. She loved this as well.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I haven't seen it, but a "critic" from Vulture on NPR this morning said that the fact that it was set in the 80s and not in the 50s/60s like the original was a huge problem. Saying that no kid in the 80s would approach a clown talking to them from the sewer...

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I haven't seen it, but a "critic" from Vulture on NPR this morning said that the fact that it was set in the 80s and not in the 50s/60s like the original was a huge problem. Saying that no kid in the 80s would approach a clown talking to them from the sewer...

Not even a 6 yr old from a small town like Derry? I didn't have a problem with it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah...stupid take. I know me and my friends were fearless on our adventures as kids. We used to go to a super spooky cemetery in our neighborhood with a scary old caretaker and his dog. We used to sneak in the back way between a chain link fence and wall about 2 feet wide behind a storage area to get in the back way. You were basically stuck in that little corridor for about 2 football field lengths.

We also used to sneak through a massive orchard that was scary as all hell too. It was spooky because the trees and wind chimes that made it sound haunted and there were dogs there too.

Kids love adventure.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't agree with that at all... Lots and lots of VERY naïve children out there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard