Stephen King's It (remake)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen King's It (remake)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stephen-kings-be-adapted-by-334899

Warner Bros’ adaptation of the classic Stephen King novel It has a director and writer.

Cary Fukunaga, the hot-shot filmmaker behind last year’s adaptation of Jane Eyre, is boarding the project as director and will co-write the script with Chase Palmer, who previously adapted Frank Herbert’s Dune for Paramount.

A best-selling book when it was published in 1986, It, like The Stand, is one of King’s biggest and most dense tomes, and the plan is for Fukunaga and Palmer to adapt the work into two films.

The book was previously adapted in 1990 as an ABC miniseries that starred John Ritter, Harry Anderson, Tim Reid, Annette O'Toole, Richard Thomas and Tim Curry played Pennywise.

Warners picked up the rights in 2009 and originally intended to adapt it into a single movie.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I remember really liking the mini-series, but watching it now years later, it's really cheesy with a lot of b-rated tv actors and low production value. Out of all the stuff they are remaking nowadays, I'm not overly concerned about this one.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen King is so hit-and-miss as an author and the same goes for his movies.

The "Dead Zone" with Walken was pretty good. "The Stand" was a masterpiece as a book. Did not work as a TV miniseries, IMO.

"It" as a book is just too long and not interesting. Evil clown?

I did read a Stephen King book that does bring back a couple characters from "It" The JFK assassination one. That was really hit and miss as well.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if they're going to go so far as to include the prepubescent ********* like the book.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember really liking the mini-series, but watching it now years later, it's really cheesy with a lot of b-rated tv actors and low production value. Out of all the stuff they are remaking nowadays, I'm not overly concerned about this one.

it's definitely got it's cheese factor and the end was HORRIFIC, but for a network TV series, I still think it got a significant amount of the story right with a couple of scenes that still disturb me when i think of them. That and Tim Curry as Pennywise was freaking fantastic.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's definitely got it's cheese factor and the end was HORRIFIC, but for a network TV series, I still think it got a significant amount of the story right with a couple of scenes that still disturb me when i think of them. That and Tim Curry as Pennywise was freaking fantastic.

It was dark for a TV series, and Tim Curry portrayed Pennywise exactly as I pictured him in my mind's eye while reading the book.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great movie when i was a kid. looking back and trying to watch it again I cant stand it though. A remake might be a good thing. Personally I am not a fan of stephen king movies, they really crawl themselves along.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
great movie when i was a kid. looking back and trying to watch it again I cant stand it though. A remake might be a good thing. Personally I am not a fan of stephen king movies, they really crawl themselves along.
Wha?

You must be registered for see images attach

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wha?

speaking of IT, sleepwalkers, thinner, etc.

Although looking at his filmography I LOVED creepshow, running man and pet cemetary. I enjoyed sometimes they come back again even though it wasnt a very good movie.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
speaking of IT, sleepwalkers, thinner, etc.

Although looking at his filmography I LOVED creepshow, running man and pet cemetary. I enjoyed sometimes they come back again even though it wasnt a very good movie.
For every Thinner, It and Sleepwalkers, there's a Shawshank, Misery, and Stand By Me... :)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I agree. It was like a 6 hour mini series or something like that and even to this day I say the first half was fannnnntastic! Tim Curry is one of the all time great villains. BEEP BEEP RICHIE!!!!

The second half it fell apart and I am still not over how ridiculous the monster at the end was. In typical Stephen King fashion, a phenomenal premise that started strong and then fizzled.

Please, please, please no giant spider.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I have always been a big Time Curry fan...... but the new Pennywise is all aces on creepy!!... I foresee mass quantities of night terrors in my future

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's just hope the ending isn't uber lame.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can already tell you its going to fail for the fact they will try way too hard to "make it scary".

"It" is so unique because of its simplicity. There's Pennywise, broad daylight, walking down the street. Terrifying and it works.

This new one will be nothing but the same old jump scares, whats behind the door, lights flickering, something in the shadows, I heard a sound, yada yada.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can already tell you its going to fail for the fact they will try way too hard to "make it scary".

"It" is so unique because of its simplicity. There's Pennywise, broad daylight, walking down the street. Terrifying and it works.

This new one will be nothing but the same old jump scares, whats behind the door, lights flickering, something in the shadows, I heard a sound, yada yada.
Agreed, but hope it's not. The guy playing Pennywise should do great, but i just hope it's not a run of the mill horror flick.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member