Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Wars: Episode VIII (2017)

A continuation of the saga created by George Lucas set 30(+) years after Return of the Jedi.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rian Johnson To Write And Direct Star Wars: Episode VIII

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-...direct-star-wars-episode-viii?linkId=12857863

Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Johnson is widely considered one of cinema’s most gifted young filmmakers, having directed the modern sci-fi classic, Looper, as well as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. He was also behind the camera for three episodes of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, including “Ozymandias,” which series creator Vince Gilligan named as the best installment of the show. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, producer of Looper, Don Jon, Brick, and The Brothers Bloom, are on board to produce.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘Star Wars: Episode VIII': Benicio Del Toro Eyed for Villain Role

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni58815673/?ref_=nv_nw_tn_1

Casting for Disney and Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: Episode VIII” is already in motion, as Benicio Del Toro has been offered the role of the villain in the upcoming film, sources tell Variety.

Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and Oscar Isaac, who will first be seen in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” bowing this Christmas, are all expected to return, with Rian Johnson helming the pic.

A deal is still far away from coming together and who exactly Del Toro will be playing is unknown, but insiders say the studio was going after A-list talent for the role, also meeting Joaquin Phoenix for the role.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J.J. Abrams Teases The Force Awakens’ Connection to Star Wars: Episode VIII

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...connection-to-star-wars-episode-viii#/slide/1

Unlike the “Star Wars” films of yore, the new batch of movies set in a galaxy far, far away are set to be pushing into production and into theaters in the quickest succession of the franchise yet. Speaking with Wired, where he opens up about a number of topics like composer John Williams and casting the film, director J.J. Abrams spoke about the art of connecting the upcoming “The Force Awakens” to Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: Episode VIII.

“The script for VIII is written. I’m sure rewrites are going to be endless, like they always are. But what Larry (Kasdan) and I did was set up certain key relationships, certain key questions, conflicts. And we knew where certain things were going. We had meetings with Rian and Ram Bergman, the producer of VIII. They were watching dailies when we were shooting our movie. We wanted them to be part of the process, to make the transition to their film as seamless as possible. I showed Rian an early cut of the movie, because I knew he was doing his rewrite and prepping. And as executive producer of VIII, I need that movie to be really good. Withholding serves no one and certainly not the fans. So we’ve been as transparent as possible.

“Rian has asked for a couple of things here and there that he needs for his story. He is an incredibly accomplished filmmaker and an incredibly strong writer. So the story he told took what we were doing and went in the direction that he felt was best, but that is very much in line with what we were thinking as well. But you’re right—that will be his movie; he’s going to do it in the way he sees fit. He’s neither asking for nor does he need me to oversee the process.”

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
18 months away! 3 Star Wars movies in 18 months!

Dec '15 Ep 7
Dec '16 Rogue One
May '17 Ep 8

Good time to be a fan!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Episode VIII pushed back

Star Wars Episode VIII delayed until December of 2017. Appears it is for a script re-write.

"http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/20/star-wars-rumor-episode-8-shooting-delayed-for-a-script-rewrite"

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Wars Episode VIII delayed until December of 2017. Appears it is for a script re-write.

"http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/20/star-wars-rumor-episode-8-shooting-delayed-for-a-script-rewrite"

Kinda confusing..... It says it's been pushed back at the beginning of the article, but the last sentence of the article reads, "Delay or no delay, Episode VIII is still officially scheduled for release on May 26, 2017."

Huh????? :shrug:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:mad::pullhair::talk::thumbdown:computer::madarms:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ep 8 now moved to December 2017. A full 2 years between movies. :(

So much for the history of the May release dates being restored. :bang:

Rewrites...mostly to reduce the roles of some soon-to-be-introduced (female) characters from what has been reported. In order to focus on the main characters (especially Rey) introduced in The Force Awakens.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kinda confusing..... It says it's been pushed back at the beginning of the article, but the last sentence of the article reads, "Delay or no delay, Episode VIII is still officially scheduled for release on May 26, 2017."

Huh????? :shrug:

They originally wrote the article about the rewrites and at that time it wasn't being delayed. They put an update up top about the delay but left the original article as is even if the line about it not being delayed was now incorrect. Dumb. It's not that difficult to take out that line.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rewrites...mostly to reduce the roles of some soon-to-be-introduced (female) characters from what has been reported. In order to focus on the main characters (especially Rey) introduced in The Force Awakens.

Seems a little weird to me that they have to go back and do rewrites to focus more on the main character of the first movie.

And I wonder what the date pushback means for Avatar 2 which is set for the same week. Massive game of chicken or does Avatar move back AGAIN? I'm guessing they move again.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

They could move it again to May of 2018. :D

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems a little weird to me that they have to go back and do rewrites to focus more on the main character of the first movie.

And I wonder what the date pushback means for Avatar 2 which is set for the same week. Massive game of chicken or does Avatar move back AGAIN? I'm guessing they move again.

By the way, this makes me wonder about how they are going about writing this new trilogy. I am sure they had a story arc they were all following but JJ made a statement that he read the script and thought it was great.

However, are the writers of these films doing it in a bubble of sorts so that the other don't know what what each other is writing? You wouldn't think that is possible without the trilogy seeming disjointed. Why is this coming to light now that the focus was too much on newer characters being introduced in Episode 8?!?

You are right...this is a little weird. You would think there were multiple people with eyes on the script from a collaboration standpoint to catch this earlier no?

Either way....

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is the article I read on it:

Why Star Wars: Episode 8 May Be Undergoing A Rewrite

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Star-Wars-Episode-8-May-Undergoing-Rewrite-106667.html

The purpose of the rewrite, interestingly, is reportedly to reduce two new character roles to be a smaller part of Star Wars: Episode VIII. Since there is still quite a bit that we don’t know about our main characters – Rey (Daisy Ridley), Finn (John Boyega) and Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) - it seems that the decision has been made that introducing major new parts to the new movie would simply get in the way of the leads that we just met. A reporter for The Wrap was speaking on the Meet the Movie Press podcast and explained:

"I said before there were two young female roles, now I actually heard that the rewrite will make these roles smaller. They want to get to know better the characters they already have. So the new rewrite is shrinking the new roles in order to spend more time with Rey, Poe and so on."

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disney Pushes Episode VIII Back, Put Next Pirates of the Caribbean in Its Place

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/disn...ack.html?om_rid=AAW6-n&om_mid=_BWn-VYB9J86xY-

You'll have to wait a little longer to find out what's up with Luke: Disney has pushed Rian Johnson's Episode VIII from May 26, 2017 back to December 15. The new Pirates of the Caribbean movie will take its old release date, a slight jump from its previous July 7 date.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Disney Pushes Episode VIII Back, Put Next Pirates of the Caribbean in Its Place

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/disn...ack.html?om_rid=AAW6-n&om_mid=_BWn-VYB9J86xY-

You'll have to wait a little longer to find out what's up with Luke: Disney has pushed Rian Johnson's Episode VIII from May 26, 2017 back to December 15. The new Pirates of the Caribbean movie will take its old release date, a slight jump from its previous July 7 date.
It's being moved back because of the way it cleaned up at the box office for the Holiday break - the 15th is the last Friday just as the 18th was this past year. Even if Avatar is released around the same time, Ep8 will still clean house. Sure they can massage the script a bit more, but Disney saw what happened for Ep7. $$$$$$

I wouldn't be surprised to see all future SW movies take that 2wk break for releases.

Last edited:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Steven Spielberg's next movie Ready Player One has the same December release date. They're probably going to have to move that one now.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steven Spielberg's next movie Ready Player One has the same December release date. They're probably going to have to move that one now.

Probably? They will have to move it. Unless this movie is saddled with tons of bad rumors about problems, panned by critics etc......it's going to kill whatever comes near it in that release window.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably? They will have to move it. Unless this movie is saddled with tons of bad rumors about problems, panned by critics etc......it's going to kill whatever comes near it in that release window.

it'll kill whatever comes near it in that release window regardless of any of the above happening.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave