Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Steven Spielberg's next movie Ready Player One has the same December release date. They're probably going to have to move that one now.

Ready Player One was an awesome book, I have faith Spielberg can do it justice and it deserves a fighting chance, going up against SW8 won't give it that chance...so it is destined to move.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Seems a little weird to me that they have to go back and do rewrites to focus more on the main character of the first movie.

And I wonder what the date pushback means for Avatar 2 which is set for the same week. Massive game of chicken or does Avatar move back AGAIN? I'm guessing they move again.

I bet that has something to do with it to. Trying to get into the holiday release and pushing back Avatar.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/10/star-wars-episode-viii-production

Filmmaker Rian Johnson is already making a few special modifications to the Star Wars universe. The director (best known for Brick and Looper) has started rolling cameras on Star Wars: Episode VIII, according to Disney CEO Bob Iger.

The galactic sequel was set to begin in January, but principal photography was pushed back a few weeks around the same time the movie’s release was shifted from May 2017 to December of that year.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's way too soon but I am so jacked for the next movie already.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There have been some alleged rumors/spoilers regarding a script that have spread the last week or two and quite honestly if they're even remotely true the story has gone full stupid, imo.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been some alleged rumors/spoilers regarding a script that have spread the last week or two and quite honestly if they're even remotely true the story has gone full stupid, imo.

The same think happen with the last one and most turned out to be nonsense. They admitted to leaking out false info. I bet this is no different.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how often you visit some movie new sites but there are some big hitters on this list that reported stuff completely wrong at this same stage of filming. Some of these in retrospect are hilarious.

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-force-awakens-false-rumors/

How incredibly bad would it have been to see at the end of a crawl....a hand floating threw space?!?!? LOL.
The thing with the hand is that it has actually turned out to be true to an extent. It was from an early draft of the script and before production began.

http://geektyrant.com/news/mark-hamill-confirms-original-opening-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens

The difference with this one is that production has already started. I just hope it's not true.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing with the hand is that it has actually turned out to be true to an extent. It was from an early draft of the script and before production began.

http://geektyrant.com/news/mark-hamill-confirms-original-opening-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens

The difference with this one is that production has already started. I just hope it's not true.

So glad they changed that. At any rate you can see the laundry list of things that were not true. There is another list of 30 items out there. JJ admitted that they leak false stuff.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't know how often you visit some movie new sites but there are some big hitters on this list that reported stuff completely wrong at this same stage of filming. Some of these in retrospect are hilarious.

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-force-awakens-false-rumors/

How incredibly bad would it have been to see at the end of a crawl....a hand floating threw space?!?!? LOL.

Looking at that list some of those rumors weren't false...

26. “The First Order’s soldiers are being taught that the Empire was a benevolent force, and that Luke Skywalker and those damn rebels who blew up the Death Star (twice) are the villains who destroyed everything.” — CinemaBlend

That is actually in one of the books.

27. “Rey tries to help by releasing the ship’s cargo (which appears to be livestock, potentially giant space pigs).”— Making Star Wars

She did release the ships cargo (by accident) and they were giant whirling balls of teeth and tentacles.

33. “After Rey and her friend get into Maz’s stronghold, Rey gets into a bar fight. Finn is little help ... However, Chewbacca helps sort out the problem, as it turns out a Wookiee at your side is a little better than an ex-Stormtrooper for bar fights.” — Making Star Wars

This was cut and confirmed by Abrams, Unkar Plott the fat dude that Simon Pegg played was to have his arm ripped out by Chewie.

35. “Back at the Resistance base, Maz gives the lightsaber to Leia.” — Making Star Wars

We see this one in the trailer, Abrams admitted to the change as well.

36. “We then cut to Kylo Ren, who walks into the cockpit of the crashed Falcon. He sits in the pilot’s seat, and has a moment.” — Making Star Wars

This was in the deleted scenes, he doesn't "sit" but he stands in the cockpit with his hands on the back of the pilots chair.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at that list some of those rumors weren't false...

That is actually in one of the books.

She did release the ships cargo (by accident) and they were giant whirling balls of teeth and tentacles.

This was cut and confirmed by Abrams, Unkar Plott the fat dude that Simon Pegg played was to have his arm ripped out by Chewie.

We see this one in the trailer, Abrams admitted to the change as well.

This was in the deleted scenes, he doesn't "sit" but he stands in the cockpit with his hands on the back of the pilots chair.

The vast majority were false. Even some of these may have been early drafts but they were not part of what was ultimately filmed. Some of these rumors were reported as being "seen" by insiders in early cuts as well. Some of it is splitting hairs but the point is there were a TON of rumors and admitted false leaks.

So, I wouldn't get worked up about many of them. They could also be early drafts or stuff that never makes it into the film.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The vast majority were false. Even some of these may have been early drafts but they were not part of what was ultimately filmed. Some of these rumors were reported as being "seen" by insiders in early cuts as well. Some of it is splitting hairs but the point is there were a TON of rumors and admitted false leaks.

So, I wouldn't get worked up about many of them. They could also be early drafts or stuff that never makes it into the film.

Yep the majority of them were false, some to the point of being stupid. My favorite stupid rumor had Luke's lone line as "My bay girl" when he saw Rey.

I was just pointing out that a few of what they mentioned in the article were not really false rumors at all (the Chewie ripping the arm out was even in the novelization)

"Grabbing the thrusting arm, a roaring Chewbacca twisted and ripped it off at the shoulder, throwing the dismembered limb clear across the room. Looking down at himself, Plutt let out a scream of agony..."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep the majority of them were false, some to the point of being stupid. My favorite stupid rumor had Luke's lone line as "My bay girl" when he saw Rey.

she's from Frisco, huh? One mystery solved!

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So Ep 8 is supposed to start right when 7 ends. From Johnson
“This is going to start right where the last one left off. It was a break from tradition.”

There's speculation that the title crawl/space ship sequence at the beginning might be skipped. I can't imagine an episode movie not having that, but who knows for now...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So Ep 8 is supposed to start right when 7 ends. From Johnson

There's speculation that the title crawl/space ship sequence at the beginning might be skipped. I can't imagine an episode movie not having that, but who knows for now...

No, they are skipping the crawl from Rogue One, Kathleen Kennedy made it clear the crawl is for the episodes but wasn't sure they'd be appropriate for the spin-off's

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, they are skipping the crawl from Rogue One, Kathleen Kennedy made it clear the crawl is for the episodes but wasn't sure they'd be appropriate for the spin-off's

The impression I got was that it's under discussion and not 100%. Personally I would hate to see the crawl go. I really don't think the crawl has anything to do with the tone of the film. The only thing that can impact that is the script and the actors. It's one tradition I would like to see them keep.