Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Episode VII)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know why we need spoiler tags on speculation about a character's origins. You aren't spoiling anything. You are making stuff up.

:D

I am going to speculate that the Emperor and Padme's handmaiden (Keira Knightly) bond over being from the same planet. They had a secret affair that resulted in a love child (a daughter). Then, she is kidnapped, raised by the Hutts, and then procreates with Boba Fett after he escapes the Sarlacc. Their spawn is half-Sith, half clone.

Her mom and dad train her to be self-sufficient, a pilot, and a general bad-ass. Maybe mom tosses in some Force training too. She has a tendency to embrace the light side of the Force, so she is really half-Jedi at this point.

Then one day, Rey hears an old recording of her grandpa issuing Order 66 and her clone half tries to kill her Jedi half, causing a complete psychotic break and amnesia.

When we meet her, she thinks she is waiting for her parents to come back or something, but really, they ditched her crazy ass on a desert planet so they could go all "Dog the Bounty Hunter" throughout the Galaxy without some stupid drooling mental patient cramping their style.

At least TRY to be realistic! Amnesia is only in soap operas. :D

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I saw it again last night cuz I wanted to see it at the IMAX before it was too late.
My plan too. IMAX seems to have 2wk runs on movies, but maybe this will be few weeks longer.

What makes Kylo not scary is the whole crying to Vaders mask thing and basically EVERYTHING after he takes off the mask. The second he takes off the mask its like whaaaaat? This wimp is the villain?
Funny, that's something I mentioned early on and got ripped for it ;-)
But yeah, with the mask and voice he was a cool villain. Without the mask he was clean shaven Adam Driver and his regular voice didn't do it. He was too... Disney w/o the mask. I get he's still young, but Vader had the mask for life support and Ren has it for a costume piece.

But, I believe that it was deliberate to soften that character. Because he basically is a huge poser. People have called him a fanboy which I think is a great description. I think if you told JJ Abrams; that villain sucked he was basically a fanboy. JJ might say; Sweet, that's exactly what I was going for! I believe it was all deliberate and just might require a little patience on our part to see how it all shakes out in the rest of the series..
That's a good description. He's trying to prove himself still.

From wearing the mask he doesn't need, letting his guard down by to trying to convert Rey. (remember he was under orders to bring her to Snoke, not kill her. And he basically has her defeated before she went on force steroids.) :) He's trying to convince everyone including himself that he is this big bad villain and he is obviously an entitled little child in many ways. But I maintain that this movie may all part of him turning into one of the worst villains we've ever seen. His psychosis and his desperation to prove himself has caused him to murder those closest to him and now that he has passed Snokes test of killing you know who, the reigns might be off this guy and we will see where he goes from here.
I think we're going to see Kylo evolve with the dark side like we've never seen before. He's going to have a lot of emotions to deal with since he did what Luke and Vader could never do to each other. Remember the rage Luke displayed at the end of Jedi when beating down Vader and cutting his hand off? He still couldn't kill Vader. Kylo did and I hope it's fun to see how he evolves with Plagueis.. er Snoke.. and the dark side.

One question I would love answered is why does the Dark side always obsess about the Jedi so much? Going back to the old ones they are constantly raving about how much better the darkside is than the light, but they obviously fear the Jedi and are obsessed about taking them out. I mean, Snoke fears Luke so much that he made it Kylos main task to find him and kill him because he believes that the simple fact of Luke being found will bring rise to the New Jedi Order which will obviously be a huge threat to them.
Good vs Evil. Light vs Dark.. Will be interesting to find out.

Is this set up like another trilogy or is it an open ended thing?
It's Disney, so they'll milk it as long as it makes $$, but honestly after this trilogy and the spin-offs people will suffer Star Wars burn out. My guess at least.

Regardless of how we all felt about this one, I think we'd like them to keep em coming. It's better than 90% of the other garbage and look how much discussion it has prompted! Its fun going back and forth with everyone and hearing peoples critiques etc. I like it.
Yuppers. And, I still stand by my comments as to why this might be the best of the seven so far.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Doh!!!! You posted this as I was typing!!!!

Good article!
I'm still not convinced of the Kenobi link just because of the time difference between all events vs when she'd need to be born. It's plausible though.

There was concept art for Anakin for Ep7 and rumors of Christensen reprising the role as a possible ghostly Anakin. I still think she's a Skywalker, but we'll find out.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced of the Kenobi link just because of the time difference between all events vs when she'd need to be born. It's plausible though.

There was concept art for Anakin for Ep7 and rumors of Christensen reprising the role as a possible ghostly Anakin. I still think she's a Skywalker, but we'll find out.

Oh god please no....

Good takes on everything else BC! Always enjoy your posts.

It's funny because my main thought for her not being a skywalker was only that it was just too obvious, but that may very well wind up being it and we're all just overthinking it. haha. :)

How come they went out of their way to tell us in ROJ that Leia has the force too but they have never shown us how she uses it? Going into this one, I thought forsure we would see some Leia force using. But with how old CF has gotten, it would probably be super hokey, but then again they did make Alec Guiness a Jedi, lol. The did one tiny hint of it when she could "feel" when you know who died, but thats it. It's not important, just a wondering....

You guys know when they had the battle outside of Maz's place. Solo comes out like a boss and shoots two stormtroopers, and then he does a no look, behind the back shot on the ST behind him.

Force? Or solo is just a badass? As others have said they kindof hinted that Po might be getting his midiclorians on too. :)

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Rey was easily the best part of the movie for me. She was a protagonist that I definitely look forward to watching in the future. And that was the most important thing Awakens needed to do.

Agreed 100 percent.

Honestly, her character done wrong could have derailed the entire movie. To me despite all the parts of the plot and characters, Star Wars future success hinged on fans getting behind the new characters. I found myself cheering and rooting for Rey almost from the start. Same with Finn.

If they screwed Rey up, this movie would have been a hideous abomination. Good thing they nailed her (as I will someday do...in my dreams lol)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed 100 percent.

If they screwed Rey up, this movie would have been a hideous abomination. Good thing they nailed her (as I will someday do...in my dreams lol)

Rey was really the only one of the new cast that I loved... which is odd because the other three young leads are some of my favorite young actors (with Isaacs and Driver both being SUPER-TALENTED). Poe just wasn't given much of a character or much to do or much screen time, Finn bugged me a little bit and, Ren, was just too much of a little bitch for me to really fear as a bad guy. And I know that his character is gonna have an arc, but the general idea of a whiny, Vader fan-boy as the big heavy to kick-start the new series just fell completely flat for me.

Rey and Han carried this sucker for me.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Agreed 100 percent.

ROFL oh man... :biglaugh:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny because my main thought for her not being a skywalker was only that it was just too obvious, but that may very well wind up being it and we're all just overthinking it. haha. :)

Occam's Razor.

Law of Parsimony.

:)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rey was really the only one of the new cast that I loved... which is odd because the other three young leads are some of my favorite young actors (with Isaacs and Driver both being SUPER-TALENTED). Poe just wasn't given much of a character or much to do or much screen time, Finn bugged me a little bit and, Ren, was just too much of a little bitch for me to really fear as a bad guy. And I know that his character is gonna have an arc, but the general idea of a whiny, Vader fan-boy as the big heavy to kick-start the new series just fell completely flat for me.

Rey and Han carried this sucker for me.

I agree Poe didn't have enough screen time but I still loved Finn too. I have to agree though that once Driver was unmasked my first thought.....oh that dude from Girls. However, I loved the temper tantrums and the otherwise bad-ass scenes with him earlier in the film. I didn't see his character as whiny. He came off like a petulant child having temper tantrums while struggling with the Light vs. the Dark.

Anakin (Hayden's portrayal) came off as whiny. This didn't feel like that but that's just me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best "review" thus far. :)

By the way, I honestly don't think the original reviewer from Huffington Post actually paid attention at all during the movie. Some of my favorite excerpts:

1. To blow up the 120-km "Death Star" in Star Wars, the rebels needed detailed plans for the base and a full-scale invasion force -- as well as the supernatural targeting skills of the most powerful Force-user in the galaxy.

Yes they did. And in the Force Awakens, the hastily thrown together plan formulated by the Resistance to possibly, maybe cripple the Starkiller Base…@#$@#$ FAILS. Poe Dameron and his squadron have pulled out and are actually leaving the planet when they see that the target they couldn’t even dent has been damaged from the inside. They then turn around and manage one last, desperate run. I don’t want to hit this too hard on the nose, but you would’ve noticed this had you actually watched the movie.

4. Rey becomes nearly as effective a Force-user in a few hours as Luke Skywalker did in a few years.

Yeah. Makes you wonder why doesn’t it? Kinda feels like we’re being set up for something in the future. I wonder if we’ll ever find out about her mysterious past and her mystical connection to the Force and Luke Skywalker? If you don’t understand that this is set-up for future films, then you should have your Netflix password taken away from you.

8. It's okay that Poe survived a Tie Fighter crash; after all, so did Finn.

Finn was miles away, strapped into an ejector seat with a spent parachute strewn out behind him. Poe stated he woke up that night and didn’t know where he was (probably strapped to ANOTHER EJECTOR SEAT). Here’s a hint when it comes to watching movies. Use the parts you know to fill in the parts you don’t know. That’s not a writing lesson. That’s a watching lesson.

10. For that matter, why is it made to seem like the entire Republic is centered in just one star system?

Let me simplify this so you can understand a little better. There’s this place in The United States called Washington DC…

11. Kylo Ren is the head of the Knights of Ren, but there are no other Knights of Ren in the movie.

Except for the six guys you see in Rey’s vision. Idiot.

19. Why wasn't the Resistance able to access R2D2's data archives at any point over the course of the many years Luke was gone?

I’m not an expert in droid memory systems, but when the most powerful Jedi in the Galaxy tells his fiercely loyal droid to code and hide something, I’m pretty sure it gets coded, broken up and hidden in places that programmers can’t find. Then again, maybe the Huffington Post dude knows something about droid memory systems that I don’t.

24. Rey says that the Millennium Falcon is "garbage" and hasn't been flown in many, many years. Indeed, it's such junk, in her view, that she won't even board it when she's about to be ripped to pieces by twenty Tie Fighters. Then she gets on board and it basically flies perfectly.

if you really want to say that Falcon starts on the first turn of the key and flies perfectly, you must not have been watching when thing crashed and smashed its way into the air, stalled out, had its belly gun lock up, malfunctioned to a point where it was in danger of spewing poison gas or the fact that Rey had to yank parts out of it with alarms blaring all over the place just to keep the hyperdrive from overloading. Yeah. Ran like a champ.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
By the way, I honestly don't think the original reviewer from Huffington Post actually paid attention at all during the movie. Some of my favorite excerpts:

1. To blow up the 120-km "Death Star" in Star Wars, the rebels needed detailed plans for the base and a full-scale invasion force -- as well as the supernatural targeting skills of the most powerful Force-user in the galaxy.

Yes they did. And in the Force Awakens, the hastily thrown together plan formulated by the Resistance to possibly, maybe cripple the Starkiller Base…@#$@#$ FAILS. Poe Dameron and his squadron have pulled out and are actually leaving the planet when they see that the target they couldn’t even dent has been damaged from the inside. They then turn around and manage one last, desperate run. I don’t want to hit this too hard on the nose, but you would’ve noticed this had you actually watched the movie.

4. Rey becomes nearly as effective a Force-user in a few hours as Luke Skywalker did in a few years.

Yeah. Makes you wonder why doesn’t it? Kinda feels like we’re being set up for something in the future. I wonder if we’ll ever find out about her mysterious past and her mystical connection to the Force and Luke Skywalker? If you don’t understand that this is set-up for future films, then you should have your Netflix password taken away from you.

Finn was miles away, strapped into an ejector seat with a spent parachute strewn out behind him. Poe stated he woke up that night and didn’t know where he was (probably strapped to ANOTHER EJECTOR SEAT). Here’s a hint when it comes to watching movies. Use the parts you know to fill in the parts you don’t know. That’s not a writing lesson. That’s a watching lesson.

10. For that matter, why is it made to seem like the entire Republic is centered in just one star system?

Let me simplify this so you can understand a little better. There’s this place in The United States called Washington DC…

11. Kylo Ren is the head of the Knights of Ren, but there are no other Knights of Ren in the movie.

19. Why wasn't the Resistance able to access R2D2's data archives at any point over the course of the many years Luke was gone?

I’m not an expert in droid memory systems, but when the most powerful Jedi in the Galaxy tells his fiercely loyal droid to code and hide something, I’m pretty sure it gets coded, broken up and hidden in places that programmers can’t find. Then again, maybe the Huffington Post dude knows something about droid memory systems that I don’t.

24. Rey says that the Millennium Falcon is "garbage" and hasn't been flown in many, many years. Indeed, it's such junk, in her view, that she won't even board it when she's about to be ripped to pieces by twenty Tie Fighters. Then she gets on board and it basically flies perfectly.

if you really want to say that Falcon starts on the first turn of the key and flies perfectly, you must not have been watching when thing crashed and smashed its way into the air, stalled out, had its belly gun lock up, malfunctioned to a point where it was in danger of spewing poison gas or the fact that Rey had to yank parts out of it with alarms blaring all over the place just to keep the hyperdrive from overloading. Yeah. Ran like a champ.

Great stuff CR!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:thumbup: x 1000

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wish people would stop all of this non-sense. This might even be worse than Kylo is Luke Skywalker.
Yeah. It's because of the scars, but the Plagueis is theory holds way more weight.

And from the way back machine in 1983.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, but bashing anyone that didn't care for the many, many problems with the movie--a movie I still enjoyed immensely, by the way--is just whiny fanboy-ism. Folks are more than able to love it unconditionally--and I'm glad they can--but why should they care if others point out the holes in the movie?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, but bashing anyone that didn't care for the many, many problems with the movie--a movie I still enjoyed immensely, by the way--is just whiny fanboy-ism. Folks are more than able to love it unconditionally--and I'm glad they can--but why should they care if others point out the holes in the movie?

it does strike me as really odd the venom directed at people who don't gush about the movie. I know someone out here who's a writer who saw the movie 8 times, then wrote a pretty long blog entry just ripping anyone who critiqued the movie and has since deleted all his social media accounts after.

I don't think I've ever seen people take a personal affront to criticism of a movie like I have this movie.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
it does strike me as really odd the venom directed at people who don't gush about the movie. I know someone out here who's a writer who saw the movie 8 times, then wrote a pretty long blog entry just ripping anyone who critiqued the movie and has since deleted all his social media accounts after.

I don't think I've ever seen people take a personal affront to criticism of a movie like I have this movie.

when we left the theater my ol'lady says to me,..."well, you asked me once,....and I guess I am going to have to say I am more of a Trekkie"...........

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison