Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Episode VII)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got our Blu-ray last week. I think my daughter has watched it 5 times already. She says it's her favorite movie.

I really enjoyed the bonus material. Very cool to see how the whole thing came together.

I had no idea that BB8 was a puppet for the most part. Thought it was a real robot. Amazing!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got our Blu-ray last week. I think my daughter has watched it 5 times already. She says it's her favorite movie.

I really enjoyed the bonus material. Very cool to see how the whole thing came together.

I had no idea that BB8 was a puppet for the most part. Thought it was a real robot. Amazing!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was surprised to to learn that there was a real robot and also a puppet on rails type thing. The way they made it sound was that all the shots of BB8 were from a real robot. It appears the real Robot was used but not as much as I thought it was. Still pretty cool what they did though.

I agree with the extras. Pretty good stuff and sheds some light on decisions made.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
okay...disc came out...watched this again....this time unfiltered by expectations.

I enjoyed it this time around. Lots of symbolism from the first trilogy in this that I did not really notice the first time.

in one respect, poor writing is clearly on display,....however, it was very reminiscent of the original....in regards to gaps in the story as it pushes along with so much unexplained..or,...assumed...

still think the villain suxx roxx....... nowhere scary or intimidating..... when snopes brings him in to finish his training he really needs to put that boy through a world of pain........ the only saving grace was that young Anakin was kinda a bitch boy too....so there may be hope.
Finn...he is basically the biological version of c3po for this series...but without the cool sidekick.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay...disc came out...watched this again....this time unfiltered by expectations.

I enjoyed it this time around. Lots of symbolism from the first trilogy in this that I did not really notice the first time.

in one respect, poor writing is clearly on display,....however, it was very reminiscent of the original....in regards to gaps in the story as it pushes along with so much unexplained..or,...assumed...

still think the villain suxx roxx....... nowhere scary or intimidating..... when snopes brings him in to finish his training he really needs to put that boy through a world of pain........ the only saving grace was that young Anakin was kinda a bitch boy too....so there may be hope.
Finn...he is basically the biological version of c3po for this series...but without the cool sidekick.

One of the coolest things I love about the film is it has made my daughter a huge fan. She has pretty much been lukewarm to Star Wars despite my desperate attempts to pull her into the fold over the years. My son is already there.

She LOVED this movie. Even my wife said...I think this might be my second favorite. Her favorite is the one with the Teddy Bears (don't get me started) but my daughter was even meh about ROTJ. At any rate, now my daughter is asking when the next one comes out and is even excited about Rogue One.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
One of the coolest things I love about the film is it has made my daughter a huge fan. She has pretty much been lukewarm to Star Wars despite my desperate attempts to pull her into the fold over the years. My son is already there.

She LOVED this movie. Even my wife said...I think this might be my second favorite. Her favorite is the one with the Teddy Bears (don't get me started) but my daughter was even meh about ROTJ. At any rate, now my daughter is asking when the next one comes out and is even excited about Rogue One.

That is very cool and I have similar circumstances. My daughter still has not seen the first six,lol... but she really likes this one....and laughs at the emo bitch sith baby,lol

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
Yeah as really wonder if the new Star Wars movie will do better than the Force Awakens when it opens in December?!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah as really wonder if the new Star Wars movie will do better than the Force Awakens when it opens in December?!

I think it'll be a total smash hit, but I don't know if it reaches Awakens heights. Awakens was the first true sequel to the mother of all trilogies, bringing back the entire cast from Jedi after 30 years. But it'll still be huge.

That said... I was totally wrong about how much Awakens would make and could be wrong again.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it'll be a total smash hit, but I don't know if it reaches Awakens heights. Awakens was the first true sequel to the mother of all trilogies, bringing back the entire cast from Jedi after 30 years. But it'll still be huge.
Yup... But, the anticipation is there, plus Fishers death will give it a bump. I could see it passing TFA, but won't be the least bit surprised if it falls between TFA and Rogue. As long as it kicks Beauty and the Beast out of #1, all will be good.

That said... I was totally wrong about how much Awakens would make and could be wrong again.
No more wagers Jar Jar?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup... But, the anticipation is there, plus Fishers death will give it a bump. I could see it passing TFA, but won't be the least bit surprised if it falls between TFA and Rogue. As long as it kicks Beauty and the Beast out of #1, all will be good.

No more wagers Jar Jar?

didn't think about Fisher's death... that could give it a bump for sure, but I still think it falls between TFA and Rogue... which will still be an outrageous amount of money and likely the 2nd highest grossing domestic BO, if not getting super close to Avatar.

as far as the anticipation... i'm not sure... the teaser was somewhat lacking for me and I think the the remake of A New Hope turned off some fans where some people aren't as ravenous like they were before Awakens. But that's prob a small amount.

we'll see in a couple months.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
didn't think about Fisher's death... that could give it a bump for sure, but I still think it falls between TFA and Rogue... which will still be an outrageous amount of money and likely the 2nd highest grossing domestic BO, if not getting super close to Avatar.

as far as the anticipation... i'm not sure... the teaser was somewhat lacking for me and I think the the remake of A New Hope turned off some fans where some people aren't as ravenous like they were before Awakens. But that's prob a small amount.

we'll see in a couple months.

I just think you're forgetting that overall, most people LOVED TFA. 90% audience score on RT and (A) on Cinema Score, etc...

The buzz is just not there for you because you don't fall in that group I think. This is not a dig, just an observation. When I saw that trailer in a theater for the first time, the place was definitely buzzing. People clapped afterwards, etc.

It'll be like me when the IT 2 trailer comes out and everyone else is stoked and I'm like; really? :shrug:

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just think you're forgetting that overall, most people LOVED TFA. 90% audience score on RT and (A) on Cinema Score, etc...

The buzz is just not there for you because you don't fall in that group I think. This is not a dig, just an observation. When I saw that trailer in a theater for the first time, the place was definitely buzzing. People clapped afterwards, etc.

It'll be like me when the IT 2 trailer comes out and everyone else is stoked and I'm like; really? :shrug:

Maybe... but we're talking setting all-time records again. It would be great for Hollywood because box office took a beating over the summer.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Ha! I knew I could come to ASFN and find this pessimism. As someone who reads through these posts months or years after the fact, I have found this pattern when something like this was announced. First everyone is shocked, then they go through the long list of reasons why this won't work, then they start to turn the corner and get excited, then most of the time everyone celebrates the eventual great film. I've seen it a hundred times.

I can't wait to check back in 5 years and read about what a brilliant choice this was.

Hahaha. I don't remember posting this back in 2013, but apparently I was pretty close. Just 11 months off.

Hope you're right cuz I do like the franchise.

Based on what I read skimming through these 67 pages I think I was right.

In 1991, I saw Star Trek I, II, III, IV, V and then finally VI at an all day marathon - at the one and only original Cine Capri theater (since demolished).

Lots of fun if you have the time. The only way I'd consider doing it these days would be if the original Cine Capri still existed. Loved that place.

I believe I've only seen one of these films, during a logic class at MCC in '94, but that sounds pretty awesome.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe... but we're talking setting all-time records again. It would be great for Hollywood because box office took a beating over the summer.

I am absolutely stoked it’s anybody but Rian Johnson doing this film. Had he comeback I would have been seriously not excited for the first time in my life for a Star Wars film.

Remember the feeling we all had with the first trailer of TFA!? Man I would give anything to feel that moment again with this last one in the trilogy.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Who wrote the dialogue for this thing?

A 12 year old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this probably isn't what Disney was hoping to see as far as early tracking for the "finale" of the saga:

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019...Z0wP822YmbnGCQdZiba_FL0vTWtGg9ISTvslRPpOX67q0

I am not sure I agree with that. TFA did $248 million opening weekend and just fell short of a billion. After TLJ doing $620 million total I think this is probably exactly where Disney thought this would be (somewhere in the middle). If this does $750 million it will do just that. I think the X-factor is close out movies. It seems movies that close out a SAGA always get a boost at the box office.

It just blew away End Games record for pre-sale tickets. I think Disney is probably OK right now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I agree with that. TFA did $248 million opening weekend and just fell short of a billion. After TLJ doing $620 million total I think this is probably exactly where Disney thought this would be (somewhere in the middle). If this does $750 million it will do just that. I think the X-factor is close out movies. It seems movies that close out a SAGA always get a boost at the box office.

It just blew away End Games record for pre-sale tickets. I think Disney is probably OK right now.

Disney will always be "ok", but I doubt they're looking at those tracking numbers and are super happy. They bombed out hard with Solo, Last Jedi seemed to be pretty polarizing and make a lot less money than TFA and they just canceled Benihoff and Weiss' new Star Wars trilogy also.

Personally, I think if they were smart, the Star Wars movie universe ends here. Simply slapping a STAR WARS banner on a movie without any of the beloved characters is going to lead to costly misfires, IMO. They will probably start to own TV the same way Marvel is going to tho. I think that's where their bread gets buttered primarlly after Skywalker comes out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard