Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda weird choice to steer Star Wars into the future.

It’s still odd that, out of all the directors available to steer the sinking Star Wars ship into the right direction, Disney and LucasFilm decided it was best to hire a non-fiction filmmaker with barely any experience in studio filmmaking.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

It’s still odd that, out of all the directors available to steer the sinking Star Wars ship into the right direction, Disney and LucasFilm decided it was best to hire a non-fiction filmmaker with barely any experience in studio filmmaking.
That article is hugely misleading. Nothing in the quoted clip--which is now unavailable--connected to Star Wars.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

More from her..... I'm not looking forward to Star Wars getting the Marvel treatment.

Stout

Reaction score
More from her..... I'm not looking forward to Star Wars getting the Marvel treatment.

The only problem there is her being an accidental filmmaker. What's wrong with activism? I mean, I seem to recall what your "problem" with Marvel was, but...this seems like much ado about nothing thus far. Granted, I've just gone by what I read in the article above (which didn't mention Star Wars) and this video (which mentioned activism--a net positive--and also didn't mention Star Wars). Are the fan boys just getting in a huff here?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The only problem there is her being an accidental filmmaker. What's wrong with activism? I mean, I seem to recall what your "problem" with Marvel was, but...this seems like much ado about nothing thus far. Granted, I've just gone by what I read in the article above (which didn't mention Star Wars) and this video (which mentioned activism--a net positive--and also didn't mention Star Wars). Are the fan boys just getting in a huff here?
I would prefer someone with a love for the canon be put in charge. A fan with a track record of great work in the field.

I mean..... Star Wars may be one of the top 3 or 4 IP's in the history of modern cinema. This was the best choice? Of course it wasn't.

We can also look at the choices Kathleen Kennedy has made with other top IP's like Marvel, the other Star Wars universes, or Indy. We don't have to look far.

Pick the people most qualified who have a love for the canon and the lore, and their fans who will do a great job protecting the legacy.

Simple stuff IMO when billions of dollars hang in the balance. And Disney continues to make billion dollar blunders under Kennedy.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's like putting Rob Zombie in charge of Barbie 2.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Her direct quote:

"And were in 2024 now. And I think it's about time that we had a woman come forward to shape the story in a galaxy far, far away".

Arguments like that never get old when women have been the protagonist in four out of the last five Star Wars movies. They have also been the writers, producers, directors, and stars of countless recent TV shows on D+. They encompass virtually the entire Lucasfilm story group and are currently the president of the entire studio.

And that's before we even get to the predictable tropes that have come to define this new brand of Star Wars. Trampling on 40 years of established history, and then piling on by killing off of their most beloved characters.

Her work as a documentary filmmaker in Pakistan is noble stuff indeed. I'm just left asking..... WTH does that have to do with Star Wars? And why is Disney continuing to pile on over and over and over again when it's so obvious how poorly this stuff performs when released.

I'm willing to bet that Star Wars fans will do to this franchise what Marvel, Lord of the Rings, and Dr. Who fans have done recently. Not pay to see it. And I'm sure they will be SO HAPPY when they are all called misogynists and racists and blamed for everything if it fails.

Stout

Reaction score
I would prefer someone with a love for the canon be put in charge. A fan with a track record of great work in the field.

I mean..... Star Wars may be one of the top 3 or 4 IP's in the history of modern cinema. This was the best choice? Of course it wasn't.

We can also look at the choices Kathleen Kennedy has made with other top IP's like Marvel, the other Star Wars universes, or Indy. We don't have to look far.

Pick the people most qualified who have a love for the canon and the lore, and their fans who will do a great job protecting the legacy.

Simple stuff IMO when billions of dollars hang in the balance. And Disney continues to make billion dollar blunders under Kennedy.
From a craft standpoint, I absolutely agree that it's a terrible hire. No doubt. I also know the undertones you post with, and take that slant of yours with a large grain of salt, is all.

I'll check out the posts below for more clarifying quotes.

Stout

Reaction score
Her direct quote:

"And were in 2024 now. And I think it's about time that we had a woman come forward to shape the story in a galaxy far, far away".

Arguments like that never get old when women have been the protagonist in four out of the last five Star Wars movies. They have also been the writers, producers, directors, and stars of countless recent TV shows on D+. They encompass virtually the entire Lucasfilm story group and are currently the president of the entire studio.

And that's before we even get to the predictable tropes that have come to define this new brand of Star Wars. Trampling on 40 years of established history, and then piling on by killing off of their most beloved characters.

Her work as a documentary filmmaker in Pakistan is noble stuff indeed. I'm just left asking..... WTH does that have to do with Star Wars? And why is Disney continuing to pile on over and over and over again when it's so obvious how poorly this stuff performs when released.

I'm willing to bet that Star Wars fans will do to this franchise what Marvel, Lord of the Rings, and Dr. Who fans have done recently. Not pay to see it. And I'm sure they will be SO HAPPY when they are all called misogynists and racists and blamed for everything if it fails.
Sorry, but the LOTR fans? Absolutely spot on. It's a great show and I can't be bothered with clowns pissed off at having black elves. Very few of them are upset only at the story. And, unlike with WoT (IMO), it's actually a good show. Similarly, the Marvel dudebros pissed at femininity in Marvel, or upset with She Hulk because of messaging, hold no truck with me. Going after the quality--or lack thereof--in Marvel and other properties is absolutely warranted. I myself am done with most of them for this; no one should be forced to watch (let alone like) She Hulk, for instance.

Like I said previously, this director should not be involved with Star Wars. Fully agreed on that. I do not fully agree with all the reasons.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Sorry, but the LOTR fans? Absolutely spot on. It's a great show and I can't be bothered with clowns pissed off at having black elves. Very few of them are upset only at the story. And, unlike with WoT (IMO), it's actually a good show. Similarly, the Marvel dudebros pissed at femininity in Marvel, or upset with She Hulk because of messaging, hold no truck with me. Going after the quality--or lack thereof--in Marvel and other properties is absolutely warranted. I myself am done with most of them for this; no one should be forced to watch (let alone like) She Hulk, for instance.

Like I said previously, this director should not be involved with Star Wars. Fully agreed on that. I do not fully agree with all the reasons.
RoP was anything but a great show. It's not even a matter of the people whining over stupid poo like black elves. It's more to do with the bad writing, the really stupid story lines, and the bad deviations from the source material. We could have a multi-hour discussion about everything wrong with it without even touching on the typical virtue signaling that was added.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
RoP was anything but a great show. It's not even a matter of the people whining over stupid poo like black elves. It's more to do with the bad writing, the really stupid story lines, and the bad deviations from the source material. We could have a multi-hour discussion about everything wrong with it without even touching on the typical virtue signaling that was added.
RoP was a poo show of epic proportions.

I could care less that some elves were black. The source material should be honored above all. Always. Especially with the one of the greatest IP's alive. Peter Jackson was willing to be involved..... they ghosted him. Such a joke.

Regarding the Star Wars canon..... Kathleen Kennedy has given us zero reason to trust her or any choice she has a hand in making.

Stout

Reaction score
IIRC, you're one of the hardcore source material fans? Because myself and all my writer friends agreed on the quality of the show. Most others as well.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Star Wars is old news for me. Couldn’t care less where this goes. I was a youngster when the original came out, and after the Empire Strikes Back, the rest just don’t come close.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
IIRC, you're one of the hardcore source material fans? Because myself and all my writer friends agreed on the quality of the show. Most others as well.
I definitely prefer that the source material not be completely changed.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I like when they do deviate from source material and the changes are actually better. It's like an opportunity for a do over.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yes, I was a huge LotR fan from the books before the movies came out. I prefer sticking to the source as much a possible but allow for changes that make sense for the different mediums. Like in the movies I didn't mind not having Bombadil or condensing the time lines but stuff like the changes to Faramir or him taking Frodo and Same to Osgiliath drive me nuts.

RoP had too much stupid in it though to be called good writing. I'll leave it for now though. We don't need to highjack the SW thread more. SW has enough issues on its own.