Squid Game (Netflix)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
trust me... Ouchie and Brother Not Ouchie were 7 and 5 years older than me so I saw everything at a very young age as well... not to mention my best friend's father would ALWAYS rent us THE most inappropriate movies for 8 year olds. ones that we didn't even ask for, like the night he brought us home an amazing double feature of Eddie Murphy's Delirious and The Exorcist. I can remember him taking us to see Sam Kinnison, with Pauly Shore opening at Celebrity Theater when we were probably... MAYBE 11 (Yup...1987 show at Celebrity). In the middle of one of the wildest bits I've EVER seen, I remember him looking around and saying "I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest and you guys are the youngest people here."

but I know Ouchie's boys... they ain't even close to being ready for this.
Corey won’t go outside at night to see all my werewolves powered on with the fog machines working.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I watched all the Evil Deads and I Spit On Your Grave around those ages.

My mom was completely lackadaisical about what I watched as a kid. We'd go to the video rental and she would tell me to go pick something out and I went over to the horror movie section and would find the goriest or scariest movie I could find.

So shows like Squid Room seem like kids shows to me....and I loved the first episode it was fantastic, I can't wait to watch the rest.

So no wonder why you are Crazyinthebrain, oops, I mean Krangthebrain. :p

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an only child, I was never limited to what I could watch either and vividly remember seeing The Warriors and Tom Horn in the theaters as well as many other R-rated 70's and early 80's films. Although I realized at an early age that it was all fantasy and that the actor you saw chopping people up in one film was playing a nice neighbor or a mean sheriff in their next role. I worried many years later about my uncle exposing my cousin to graphic films as a child because he didn't have a solid grasp on what was real and just Hollywood. It really depends on the individual, IMHO.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is excellent. My daughter and her college roommates told me to watch it. My daughter watches a ton of foreign content.

DEBATE QUESTION:

So my daughter says to watch it in Korean with American subtitles. My wife refuses to watch anything without the English dub so if she needs to do something at the same time she can still listen to it if distracted for a moment.

Opinions?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is excellent. My daughter and her college roommates told me to watch it. My daughter watches a ton of foreign content.

DEBATE QUESTION:

So my daughter says to watch it in Korean with American subtitles. My wife refuses to watch anything without the English dub so if she needs to do something at the same time she can still listen to it if distracted for a moment.

Opinions?
Honestly, just set the time aside to watch it without distractions and watch it in Korean with the English subtitles. It is so engrossing that time will fly by and you won't feel tempted to look away at all. It was so good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

DEBATE QUESTION:

Opinions?

Get her into EA... Electronics Anonymous.

But seriously, I have the same problem/addiction she does. I heard so much hype about this that I turned my phone to watch episodes with subtitles.

That said, I might have heard too much hype. I think the show is good, but worthy of being the most watched show ever on Netflix? I think that oddly says more about how f’ed up humanity is in general than how f’ed up the show actually is.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Two episodes in and will likely binge the rest this weekend. It definitely sucks you in. Some really cool visuals as well.

Something tells me this will inspire a lot of Halloween costumes this year.

I told my wife tonight I already have a red hoodie, I just need a mask with a square on it

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We finished this over the weekend. Honestly, one of the best foreign series I have ever seen.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap. Netflix just released some numbers. They value Squid Games at $891.1 million dollars which is more than 40 times the production cost of $21.4 million. It makes it one of the most profitable shows in streaming services history.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm halfway through episode 2. I had heard it was graphic but man episode 1 all of a sudden it's like wait did that just happen.

Lucy won't watch it so it will take me awhile to get through it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on Ep 5 or 6 now. This is bizarre it's one of those I can't turn away things i know it's wrong on many levels but it's compelling anyways. I'm watching with dubbed English.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What a fascinating series, with a pretty good twist at the end.

I only had one real problem with it, and it is a failing of most Asian productions: They are usually terrible at casting Westerners. Their Eastern cast is really great, but none of the Westerners they brought in (the VIPs) were any good. Their delivery was as bad as it gets and took me out of story every time one of them opened their mouth.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simply loved this show. I am just not so sure how they keep dragging this out to multiple seasons. Sure there are some threads to pull but I really can't see the show staying fresh and original outside of a couple seasons max.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Simply loved this show. I am just not so sure how they keep dragging this out to multiple seasons. Sure there are some threads to pull but I really can't see the show staying fresh and original outside of a couple seasons max.
The old guy won the golden globe for best Supporting this year. First Korean to win it.