Spring recruiting for the basketball team

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When was the last time a basketball player that wasn't soft came out of Orange County?

Pass on Franklin.

Yep, James Keefe and Mike Roll are nice guys and good role players but they are living proof of what you say. The OC kids never live up to the hype. The Wears will be the next.

I'm hoping because Tyler Lamb isn't actually from the OC he'll avoid that.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Don't forget Taylor King and those two kids who went to Oregon.

Just an FYI - 2010's Orange County high-major prospect with toughness concerns is Anthony Brown who is down to ASU and Arizona. He's still a top 75 player who I do think will end up at ASU however when all is said and done.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Don't forget Taylor King and those two kids who went to Oregon.

Just an FYI - 2010's Orange County high-major prospect with toughness concerns is Anthony Brown who is down to ASU and Arizona. He's still a top 75 player who I do think will end up at ASU however when all is said and done.

Amazing that a largely irrelevant school not to be worried about is competing for similar prospects. Aren't there some hot prospects coming from a School for the Blind we can lock up? I just hope we don't have to fill out our rosters with some Women's team players due to lack of recruits.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Amazing that a largely irrelevant school not to be worried about is competing for similar prospects. Aren't there some hot prospects coming from a School for the Blind we can lock up? I just hope we don't have to fill out our rosters with some Women's team players due to lack of recruits.
I really hope this talk dies down when you guys are in the NIT this year and we make it #26 so you guys focus on whoever your future starting QB.

Regardless, Arizona is stacked with impact wing players so when all is said and done I don't think Brown will be looked at as much of a priority from Sean Miller this summer. Same can't be said for ASU who very likely might need somebody to come in and start as Demetrius Walker will not get it done getting starter minutes. I'd assume Arizona is probably still on his list because the former staff and him had a very long relationship (the Lute/Pastner 'soft' player obsession). When you get a big top 10 class one year you can afford to be picky the following and my guess is Sean Miller will do such.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I really hope this talk dies down when you guys are in the NIT this year and we make it #26 and you guys focus on whatever scrub will be your future starting QB.

But regardless, Arizona is stacked with impact wing players so when all is said and done I don't think Brown will be looked at as much of a priority from Sean Miller this summer. Same can't be said for ASU who very likely might need somebody to come in and start.

Heh, exactly what I'd have hoped for, thanks Mao. Fortunately, no matter what the current circumstances for either side, the talk will never die down.

We'll be talking football soon enough as well, congrats are in order for the exciting Vegas bowl victory!

That you lucked into Sean Miller is almost too much to stand, on top of that it looks like he can recruit too. Hopefully Herb can continue to fashion makeshift squads from Miller's scraps and extend ASU's 5 game winning streak.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Arizona didn't "luck" into Miller, they backed a very, very large money truck up to his house in Cincinnati and dropped it off. I'll thank the cash machine Lute built, the horse racing industry, and the fact that John Calipari didn't want to deal with another recruiter near Lexington for SM who's going to be a monster down there.

Sendek will be fine, USC hiring Kevin O'Neill will definitely help (although I'm willing to guess Jamie Dixon has that job by the start of the 2012 season) keep ASU on that second tier. But you'll see Miller do what Howland did at UCLA in the next 2-3 years as far as separating his program from the pack goes. Miller's recruiting connections are flat out ridiculous.

As far as football goes, I have no clue. The boosters are sipping the Stoops kool-aid again but that's an annual occurrence/delusion. I'll do what I normally do: evaluate the team after two weeks and come up with a win total based on talent level. Then I'll subtract that number by two due to coaching blunders at which point I should be able to accurately predict what the 'Cats will do on the gridiron.

In related news however, I did run into a friend in SD this weekend who worked for ASU Football for several years under both Koetter and Erickson. Said ASU fans should be thrilled with seven wins, eight w's should win DE Pac-10 COY. Apparently your best RB is a walk-on and Sullivan is clearly ahead of the pack (which he stated is not a good thing).

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Arizona didn't "luck" into Miller, they backed a very, very large money truck up to his house in Cincinnati and dropped it off. I'll thank the cash machine Lute built, the horse racing industry, and the fact that John Calipari didn't want to deal with another recruiter near Lexington for SM who's going to be a monster down there.

Sendek will be fine, USC hiring Kevin O'Neill will definitely help (although I'm willing to guess Jamie Dixon has that job by the start of the 2012 season) keep ASU on that second tier. But you'll see Miller do what Howland did at UCLA in the next 2-3 years as far as separating his program from the pack goes. Miller's recruiting connections are flat out ridiculous.

As far as football goes, I have no clue. The boosters are sipping the Stoops kool-aid again but that's an annual occurrence/delusion. I'll do what I normally do: evaluate the team after two weeks and come up with a win total based on talent level. Then I'll subtract that number by two due to coaching blunders at which point I should be able to accurately predict what the 'Cats will do on the gridiron.

In related news however, I did run into a friend in SD this weekend who worked for ASU Football for several years under both Koetter and Erickson. Said ASU fans should be thrilled with seven wins, eight w's should win DE Pac-10 COY. Apparently your best RB is a walk-on and Sullivan is clearly ahead of the pack (which he stated is not a good thing).

By luck I meant after all the craziness of the process... including the meetings with Floyd and other blunders by Livengood, U of A ended up with Miller, one of the better options. This even after he initially said no. All in all, at the end of the day to end up with Miller seems pretty fortunate.

While you see Herb as little threat, he has made incredible progress in a short amount of time, especially when you consider the train wreck that was ASU basketball. He has proven an excellent defensive coach and it'll be interesting to see how much he opens up his offense, given the right talent. In addition, his recruiting has been solid and the facilities are much improved. Hell, staying 2nd tier in the Pac 10 would be fine for the time being, especially considering the strength of the conference.

I fully expect Miller to get the players he needs to keep U of A near the top of the Pac 10, I just hope the "rivalry" becomes more of one, as it has been of late. It can only benefit both teams and help hoops in the state.

Sounds like it may be a long year for Denny and the boys. Hopefully Ryan Bass or somebody will step it up at RB, I have little hope for Sullivan. Hopefully one of the young guys will step it up. At the very least Erickson is putting together a pretty impressive defense and RB and QB are both positions that ASU usually hasn't had problems recruiting.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
By luck I meant after all the craziness of the process... including the meetings with Floyd and other blunders by Livengood, U of A ended up with Miller, one of the better options. This even after he initially said no. All in all, at the end of the day to end up with Miller seems pretty fortunate.

While you see Herb as little threat, he has made incredible progress in a short amount of time, especially when you consider the train wreck that was ASU basketball. He has proven an excellent defensive coach and it'll be interesting to see how much he opens up his offense, given the right talent. In addition, his recruiting has been solid and the facilities are much improved. Hell, staying 2nd tier in the Pac 10 would be fine for the time being, especially considering the strength of the conference.

I fully expect Miller to get the players he needs to keep U of A near the top of the Pac 10, I just hope the "rivalry" becomes more of one, as it has been of late. It can only benefit both teams and help hoops in the state.

Sounds like it may be a long year for Denny and the boys. Hopefully Ryan Bass or somebody will step it up at RB, I have little hope for Sullivan. Hopefully one of the young guys will step it up. At the very least Erickson is putting together a pretty impressive defense and RB and QB are both positions that ASU usually hasn't had problems recruiting.

U of A did luck into Miller, they made the offer he refused only to change his mind the next morning, and I am esctatic he did. Now let's see what he can do with a very young team. I like this class because it doesn't have a superstar but very solid, skilled players that seem like they will stay 3-4 years and sustain the program.

ASU is doing well because of Sendek as well, he is starting to get nationally ranked recruits year after year which is more than other ASU coaches can say. Like U of A, ASU will have a very young team next year but their 5 man class is pretty good, could have used a big man.

As for ASU football, I think a Nance/Bass combo will be fine, Sullivan will start and Pete Thomas their top QB recruit will start next. Defense will be good if the secondary can rebound from an off year and replace Nolan.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard