LA Dodgers @ Arizona Diamondbacks series thread. 04/29/24-05/01/24

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
My goodness the DBacks bullpen is just horrible. Has to be one of the worst in baseball at this point. Well, the series is still winnable. Need to win at home, boyz - regardless of the quality of the opponent.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My goodness the DBacks bullpen is just horrible. Has to be one of the worst in baseball at this point. Well, the series is still winnable. Need to win at home, boyz - regardless of the quality of the opponent.
Brutal inning

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
story of the season so far

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
We're not having a very good sports month here in the Grand Canyon State...Suns get swept away in the first round and the DBacks are playing like hot garbage right now. Hope they can stay ahead of the Rockies and out of the NL West basement.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was on Lovullo though. Henry was pitching well and could have went another inning.

Gambler

Rookie
Reaction score
That was on Lovullo though. Henry was pitching well and could have went another inning.
As is often the case however, once there was a chance to ask the Manager and the player about the situation, an underlying reason not evident to those watching emerged. In fact, Henry was struggling, fatigued, and "out of whack" by his own admission. He communicated that to his manager, who acted accordingly,

NOW PLAYING
bleav in the bronx
Henry had labored through the first couple of innings giving up four hits, two walks, and two runs. He was fortunate the damage was not worse, as the average exit velocity on eight balls in play was 100 MPH.
ADVERTISEMENT

He managed to get double plays in each of the first two innings to get out of trouble, the second of which came on a scorched ground ball from Shohei Ohtani 107 MPH off the bat. It went right to Ketel Marte however who started a 4-6-3 double play.
Henry seemed to settle down after that, retiring the side in order in the third and giving up just a one out single in the fourth. But knowing his pitcher was fatigued and feeling out of whack, and with the top of the Dodgers order looming in the fifth inning, Lovullo decided to cut Henry's outing short.
"I clipped Tommy early." Lovullo said. "He threw the ball pretty well. I know he was laboring a little bit and he shared a little bit of information, and we ask our guys to do that. "
ADVERTISEMENT

So what information did Henry share exactly? This is how he described his outing and what he was telling his manager.
"Tonight was a little grindy. I felt like I was pitching upstream at times. ……I just felt a little out of whack. It’s just kind of one of those days from that standpoint. I feel like they happen. You’ve just got to fully commit to not battling yourself. There’s a temptation there to try and find it, try and search and make a ton of changes, I just tried to throw all that out the window today and compete with the hitter. "