Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Split

Release date: January 20, 2017
Studio: Universal Pictures, Blumhouse Productions
Director: M. Night Shyamalan
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for disturbing thematic content and behavior, violence and some language)
Screenwriter: M. Night Shyamalan
Genre: Thriller

Starring: James McAvoy, Anya Taylor Joy, Betty Buckley, Jessica Sula, Haley Lu Richardson

Plot Summary: Writer/director/producer M. Night Shyamalan returns to the captivating grip of "The Sixth Sense," "Unbreakable" and "Signs" with "Split," an original thriller that delves into the mysterious recesses of one man’s fractured, gifted mind. Following last year’s breakout hit "The Visit," Shyamalan reunites with producer Jason Blum ("The Purge" and "Insidious" series, "The Gift") for the film.

While the mental divisions of those with dissociative identity disorder have long fascinated and eluded science, it is believed that some can also manifest unique physical attributes for each personality, a cognitive and physiological prism within a single being.

Though Kevin (James McAvoy) has evidenced 23 personalities to his trusted psychiatrist, Dr. Fletcher (Betty Buckley), there remains one still submerged who is set to materialize and dominate all the others. Compelled to abduct three teenage girls led by the willful, observant Casey (Anya Taylor-Joy, The Witch), Kevin reaches a war for survival among all of those contained within him—as well as everyone around him—as the walls between his compartments shatter apart.

For "Split," Shyamalan and Blum reassemble their core team from "The Visit," the No. 1-grossing horror film of 2015. Their fellow collaborators include producer Marc Bienstock and executive producers Ashwin Rajan and Steven Schneider.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Been burned way, WAY too many times by M. Night Shamalamadingdong.
yup..... shammalammydingdongs movies fall flat.....also not so sure macavoy has the chops to pull off this character

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Supposedly McCavoy did great, but the story was very erratic...just from what I've heard. Shyamalan wrote, and directed this, so very skeptical.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Supposedly McCavoy did great, but the story was very erratic...just from what I've heard. Shyamalan wrote, and directed this, so very skeptical.
what the hell,...I'm sure at some point around late May I will be sitting up late some sunday night and there wont be anything on tv...and I will run across this on the guide. Will give it a watch then and see what I think.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Well...had the day off today and decided to go see this with mi padre. Overall it was better than I expected...it was very creepy and it definitely left you pretty tense throughout the film. McCavoy was ridiculously good...he would shift between personalities/characters effortlessly. However...not really a film you 'need' to see in theaters, but certainly worth watching just to see how good McCavoy is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if anyone spoils the end of this movie for you, they should be punched in the face. I had it spoiled, robbing me of what would have been one of the great HOLY BALLS moments I'd probably ever have in the movies and am pissed about it. But knowing the end going in, I was probably able to watch the movie much differently. I dug it because I knew what it was, but I would have loved to see it with fresh eyes and then rewatched.

Reaction score
if anyone spoils the end of this movie for you, they should be punched in the face. I had it spoiled, robbing me of what would have been one of the great HOLY BALLS moments I'd probably ever have in the movies and am pissed about it. But knowing the end going in, I was probably able to watch the movie much differently. I dug it because I knew what it was, but I would have loved to see it with fresh eyes and then rewatched.

That happened to me with The Sixth Sense. Knew about Willis' character before hand.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to go see this. Pretty good. Definitely better than his last main stream movies. The ending. AWESOME!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Surprisingly, we all liked it! He got a little Shamalamadingdong towards the end, but it was still his best BY FAR in a while...

Macavoy blew my mind! One of the best acting performances I have seen. The guy was absolutely believable as every single persona IMO.

His mannerisms when he was being the kid, and the woman were almost eerie.

He better get an oscar nod for that next year.

Not a perfect movie but I thought it was well done and the ending was awesome! I could tell what was happening by the music. I was like, hey,,, I recognize this!

that's REALLY awful. That was one of the great twists of all time. Whoever spoiled that for you should be kicked in the junk.

This is why I keep giving MKS more and more chances. Because he gave me one of the greatest moments in any movie. When I saw that the first time I was, idk, 19? When did it come out? 99? Anyways. I saw it under the PERFECT conditions. I had heard nothing about it, had no idea what it was about and I was with a bunch of my college friends and we were stoned out of our brains lol.

The moment I "got it" was when she dropped the ring, I literally gasped and went; "Holy poo he's dead..." Outloud, like LOUD! lol and I NEVER talk in movies. It was just a completely organic reaction. I've never heard a theater react so vocally to a twist, nobody noticed everyone was freaking out on their own.. It seemed like nobody knew it was coming and everyone was shocked! Absolutely LOVED the 6th sense the first time I saw it. One of the best movie experiences ever!

Glad to see MKS not make another turd.
I hope this turns into a universe! You know what I mean. :)

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, we all liked it! He got a little Shamalamadingdong towards the end, but it was still his best BY FAR in a while...

Macavoy blew my mind! One of the best acting performances I have seen. The guy was absolutely believable as every single persona IMO.

His mannerisms when he was being the kid, and the woman were almost eerie.

He better get an oscar nod for that next year.

Not a perfect movie but I thought it was well done and the ending was awesome! I could tell what was happening by the music. I was like, hey,,, I recognize this!

This is why I keep giving MKS more and more chances. Because he gave me one of the greatest moments in any movie. When I saw that the first time I was, idk, 19? When did it come out? 99? Anyways. I saw it under the PERFECT conditions. I had heard nothing about it, had no idea what it was about and I was with a bunch of my college friends and we were stoned out of our brains lol.

The moment I "got it" was when she dropped the ring, I literally gasped and went; "Holy **** he's dead..." Outloud, like LOUD! lol and I NEVER talk in movies. It was just a completely organic reaction. I've never heard a theater react so vocally to a twist, nobody noticed everyone was freaking out on their own.. It seemed like nobody knew it was coming and everyone was shocked! Absolutely LOVED the 6th sense the first time I saw it. One of the best movie experiences ever!

Glad to see MKS not make another turd.
I hope this turns into a universe! You know what I mean. :)

Yeah... my friend and I went to go see The Sixth Sense SKY HIGH with no expectations/no idea of the twist. I was beyond hooked into the movie and like you, literally GASPED along with the rest of a packed house. It felt like
The entire theater moved from people being blown back in their seats. A truly special moment... and while this one wouldn't have been as incredible, it still would have been pretty awesome. I would have known from that first music cue when he staring in the mirror. The only question would have been the same one I had watching it... how/who is the reveal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys seen his last movie The Visit? It's not great, but it's a pretty entertaining and twisted 90 minutes. Worth the watch and what got me into the theater for Split.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys seen his last movie The Visit? It's not great, but it's a pretty entertaining and twisted 90 minutes. Worth the watch and what got me into the theater for Split.

I forgot about it. Actually DEVIL got me to see this. Liked it so I gave this a shot.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I thought Devil was solid too.

Actually, I really didn't want to see it. I had seen his name on it and thought...wow...B movie garbage is what this guy has become then noticed the reviews.

I was pleasantly surprised and thought...maybe this guys does have something left.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Actually, I really didn't want to see it. I had seen his name on it and thought...wow...B movie garbage is what this guy has become then noticed the reviews.

I was pleasantly surprised and thought...maybe this guys does have something left.

MKS has a unique acumen for writing out suspenseful and intriguing scripts, he just needs someone to reel him in when he goes coo coo. lol This partnership with Blumhouse seems to be really good for him, I hope it continues.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MKS has a unique acumen for writing out suspenseful and intriguing scripts, he just needs someone to reel him in when he goes coo coo. lol This partnership with Blumhouse seems to be really good for him, I hope it continues.

After The Village, which had an interesting concept that fell pretty flat on it's face, he seemed to have totally lost his way with Lady In The Water and Beware The Trees, aka The Happening. But he's been digging himself out of the ditch he put himself in, slowly but surely with Devil, Season 1 of Wayward Pines and The Visit. Now that he seems totally back in the light of day, I hope he stay there.

Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and the first 100 minutes of Signs were an incredibly impressive burst on the scene. Let's hope his time in the sun keeps on keeping on.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think I'm the luckiest person alive because The Sixth Sense is the only MKS movie I've ever seen.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

To be fair, Devil was not directed by M. Night and the script was based on a story he wrote. I believed he might have produced it, but today that doesn't mean much. I wouldn't attribute that movie to him, other than the story, which was criticized for being too convoluted.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
After The Village, which had an interesting concept that fell pretty flat on it's face, he seemed to have totally lost his way with Lady In The Water and Beware The Trees, aka The Happening. But he's been digging himself out of the ditch he put himself in, slowly but surely with Devil, Season 1 of Wayward Pines and The Visit. Now that he seems totally back in the light of day, I hope he stay there.

Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and the first 100 minutes of Signs were an incredibly impressive burst on the scene. Let's hope his time in the sun keeps on keeping on.
The Village is one of my top 10 least favorite movies I've ever seen, and the one movie I came the closest to walking out of the theater while watching. I thought Lady in the Water and The Happening were awful as well, but not as bad as THe Village dreck.

I had no desire to see The Visit, but Split is vaguely intriguing. Will probably buy/watch on Bluray when it comes out.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, Devil was not directed by M. Night and the script was based on a story he wrote. I believed he might have produced it, but today that doesn't mean much. I wouldn't attribute that movie to him, other than the story, which was criticized for being too convoluted.

I really liked it and my problem with M. Night has never really been directing per say. His writing goes from being really interesting to him letting his inside voice escape to often. I have always viewed him as story teller first. Producer or not, it's his story.

I actually liked the Village. Didn't love it and it did seemed contrived but that was probably the last movie of his I liked. Lady in the Water had so much potential but it just missed and The Happening sucked. I will have to watch the Visit now. Split is easily his best work in a very long time.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really liked it and my problem with M. Night has never really been directing per say. His writing goes from being really interesting to him letting his inside voice escape to often. I have always viewed him as story teller first. Producer or not, it's his story.

I actually liked the Village. Didn't love it and it did seemed contrived but that was probably the last movie of his I liked. Lade in the Water had so much potential but it just missed and The Happening sucked. I will have to watch the Visit now. Split is easily his best work in a very long time.

don't go expecting any great shakes from The Visit. It's just a fun, pretty ridiculous "thriller".

Reaction score
What was the big reveal in this movie? I figured he would become the monster early on so I don't think that was it. I get the end with Willis at the diner counter being the guy from Unbreakable. McAvoy was outstanding playing different personalities btw.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson