Some people just don't get it

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This team STUNK last year. This team really STUNK last year. Everyone also expects Josh McCown in his FIRST year as a starter to throw for freaking 300 yards every game without any mistakes because WE ALL KNOW HE HAS BEEN A STARTER FOR YEARS AND HAS BEEN IN THIS PASSING SYSTEM FOR YEARS. We also have a RB that probably can play another 10 years...he is so young. If you understand football, if you realize how young this team is (minus our really really young RB named Emmitt) and yet they had a chance to get in the playoffs. I'm just so PIS$ED at how critical some fans are with this team. People get mad a Green for having no patience... well some of these people need to take a long look in the mirror. Young team, 1st year starter at QB, aging HB (and don't give me that crap that the lack of depth is Green's fault...made a great trade but Hambrick got hurt), and Starks is vastly improved due to the fact he wasn't even on the field due to injuries since we signed him.

Speaking for myself I'm extremely excited with the team the Cardinals will have next year because I seen the competition in the West and in our rebuilding year we almost won the division. The Seahawks, Rams and Niners better enjoy this year, because they are in for a long span of hurt which the Cardinals are going to put them through in the coming years.

Peace

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:
Speaking for myself I'm extremely excited with the team the Cardinals will have next year because I seen the competition in the West and in our rebuilding year we almost won the division.

:thumbup: I couldn't have said it better myself. Excellent post and exactly what's on my mind too.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:
This team STUNK last year. This team really STUNK last year. Everyone also expects Josh McCown in his FIRST year as a starter to throw for freaking 300 yards every game without any mistakes because WE ALL KNOW HE HAS BEEN A STARTER FOR YEARS AND HAS BEEN IN THIS PASSING SYSTEM FOR YEARS. We also have a RB that probably can play another 10 years...he is so young. If you understand football, if you realize how young this team is (minus our really really young RB named Emmitt) and yet they had a chance to get in the playoffs. I'm just so PIS$ED at how critical some fans are with this team. People get mad a Green for having no patience... well some of these people need to take a long look in the mirror. Young team, 1st year starter at QB, aging HB (and don't give me that crap that the lack of depth is Green's fault...made a great trade but Hambrick got hurt), and Starks is vastly improved due to the fact he wasn't even on the field due to injuries since we signed him.

Speaking for myself I'm extremely excited with the team the Cardinals will have next year because I seen the competition in the West and in our rebuilding year we almost won the division. The Seahawks, Rams and Niners better enjoy this year, because they are in for a long span of hurt which the Cardinals are going to put them through in the coming years.

Peace
Well said Jetstream....critical people who can't see the big picture piss me off to. :hulk: :thumbup:

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
You know

I understand the initial frustration of some of the fans but the very fact that people are upset with this loss is because this team actually had something to offer their fans... something the fans have not had since '98. Sit back, look at the rest of the division for next year and look at this Cardinal team and its future under Green... don't tell me you can't smile.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, not to burst your bubble but this really bad team from last year just may wind up winning exactly one more game than last years team. In a division that is far less competitive than it was last year. It also gave the worst team in football its only 2 wins.

That said, I agree the team is going in the right direction. A great draft with 4 starters which is unheard of for most any team. A Pro Bowl FA in Berry and a season in which we were competitive in most games(easily could have won 3 more). The QB spot still worries me quite a bit.

An offseason the equivalent of last years in both FA's and draft gets us a playoff spot next year.

Let Green do his thing and we will be having some real fun next year at this time.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know who you are talking about.

This team is leaps and bounds better than last year's pathetic showcase.

But we've still got a myriad of problems, in order: RB, OL, CB, QB, DT, TE.

Solve them and we are strong, strong, strong.

To your snide remarks: I don't want Josh to throw for 300 a game. I want him to get more accurate and not rely on jump balls. He can't hit a guy over the middle to save his life, and if I ever see him hit someone in stride it will be the first time. He's a great backup; we need a starter.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I don't know who you are talking about.

This team is leaps and bounds better than last year's pathetic showcase.

But we've still got a myriad of problems, in order: RB, OL, CB, QB, DT, TE.

Solve them and we are strong, strong, strong.

To your snide remarks: I don't want Josh to throw for 300 a game. I want him to get more accurate and not rely on jump balls. He can't hit a guy over the middle to save his life, and if I ever see him hit someone in stride it will be the first time. He's a great backup; we need a starter.

Agreed. He has to get better.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
He has gotten better as the year has gone on, has he not?

Really hard to say. He has been up and down most of the year. Thought he played better last week than this week. To be honest, I am not confident that he will get a lot better than he is now but I hope I am wrong.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
This is rather fun because the future is bright

I for one didn't think Josh was ready to be a winning QB this year but by know means can one look at a QB in his first year as a starter and say he is beyond help unless he plays horrid like the Bears rookie QB. Josh is playing a whole lot better in his first year as a starter than say hmmm... Eli Manning. As far as only having one more win so far doesn't make this team any better... well, I watched all the games last year (the whole stinking games through) and the difference is clear, we didn't lose by twenty points or more everytime we took the field. Many people are talking about having a running game... well Josh doesn't have one so they are absolutely correct. Darn, Drew looks a lot better once the Bills put Willis in the backfield. What would Brees look like without Tomlinson... it wouldn't be pretty. Am I a Josh apologist...no, I'm not apologizing for anything Josh has done in his first year. He played like a young QB in his first starting year in the NFL, and did pretty good at that. I don't blame the Cards if the rest of the division is going backwards and the best NFC team we played named the Falcons only beat us by 3 points. It is not just the West but really the whole NFC. The shape of the NFC is what it is and the Cardinals are in a good position to change their fate in years to come. You know who is going to win the West next year, it will simply be the one team that is willing to put a good defense on the field and the Cardinals seem to be way ahead of the other teams in accomplishing that. I wouldn't mind the Cards going with Shipp and Hambrick next year and draft D.J. Johnson the LB out of Texas and keep building the defense up so they won't have to score over twenty points almost every week to win. I can't wait for next year and the draft.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Much better

Frankly, if we lose to the Bucs next week and go 5-11, I still say we are a much better team. We did get blown out twice (?) this year, but that is way better than every road game like last year. We choked up two games real bad this year that cost us. We had opportunities to make the play offs as late as week 16. I think we should have won yesterday. I am frustrated at mistakes made and some poor plays. I have been frustrated by McCown on many occassions. I have wanted to fire several offensive linemen and I'd like a defensive line that could rush the QB AND stop the run.

However, no where in this frustration should any of us lose sight of the fact that we are a better team. We play with a chip on our shoulder and while we are screwing up more than I like, we had about a 33% roster turn around from last year. We had a QB that had started 2 games before this season and 4 or 5 rookies starting in key positions most of the year, including FOUR of our draft picks. Hell, I'm ecstatic that we had 4 draft picks make the team. (only slight sarcasm).

I will be upgrading my flex pack to season tickets next year. It'll be the first year I sign on all the way, because I believe the product they put on the field is competitive and fun to watch. The lesson we learned this year was how to play the games so they are close and winable. Next year, we can start to learn to win those close games. When that new stadium is finished we have the young talent to be the NFC champions. We have 15 or so starters that I am happy with. Last year, it was no where near that number. I was thinking today we have about 5 players that we have to upgrade to be a play off team. Last year, it was about 5 players I didn't want to cut.

Give Denny about a season or so of slack. He put a competitive, fun product on the field. Give this team another draft and another free agent year... yet again without losing any important free agents we don't want to lose... and we'll only get better.

I am impressed with this team at times... but at least there are times I am impressed with this team.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
McCown has been much better since he came back. I'll take the mistakes as long as he throws 2-3 TD's a game. The mistakes should minimize as he gains more experience.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
pete said:
McCown has been much better since he came back. I'll take the mistakes as long as he throws 2-3 TD's a game. The mistakes should minimize as he gains more experience.

The DB's are only going to keep dropping them for so long. He could have had 3-5 INT's again yesterday.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The team is headed in the right direction that is for sure. Solid off season moves will be critical. Don't be surprised if Denny makes changes (which many want) with the coaching staff.

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This team is much better than the last few. We have some really exciting players and those players seem to have great attitudes! Look at our youngsters; Boldin, Dansby, Dockett, Fitz, Step, Hayes. Also, Green's additions have been a pleasant surprise; Berry, Macklin, Zellner, Hambrick(before the injury). This has been a tough year but it has been competitiive. i only thought "Those same old Cards" on two-three occasions, as opposed to, being fed up by week 7 or 8. This year I have been excited the whole year!!!!!!

Going into next year, we need too:
- sign hill
- keep Josh, drop King
- find a competitive QB for Josh...I still believe he can be a 3500yds 23-12 td-int 5 rush td
- RG needs addressed
- TE " "
- I like Big, Wells, Step, Shelton
- I like Hambrick, Shipp, Scobey, maybe Emmitt(right price)
- Our receivers are set for years to come.
- On DDDDDDDDD############
- Give me a stud DT that can move and stuff the run
- A LE that is ready to step up
- A CB that will beat out Hill or Macklin
- A FS
- Oh Yeah DDDD####, thanks for the #5 ranking in the NFC, I was a LB in college, got a soft spot for D.
- I simply love our LB's
- And it is beautiful that we have no major free-agents ready to walk

We were in almost every game this year. Next year, I believe we go 9-7 or 10-6. The maturation of this offseason will be the winning factor. I actually expected us to win games this year. Next year will truly be exciting.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
I'm optimistic about next year as well. Hopefully the Cards beat the bucs next week that(6 wins) would be something to boost our cred in free agency.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
He has gotten better as the year has gone on, has he not?

You can get better and still not be a legit starter. He cannot put two games together and he is no longer a rookie. In my opinion McCown just does not have the presence or the mindset to every be anything but a backup. His idea of a long pass is a lob and hope one of our outstanding receivers will make the catch. He has a terrible time holding on to the ball and does not seem to sense a backside rush. Most good QB's have a clock in their head that says get rid of that ball. Josh's clock battery is apparently dead. Yesterday when he took that sack late in the game and more or less took us out of easy FG range is an example of something a smart QB just does not let happen. He had ample time yesterday and his problems were not the offensive line. I do not know how many interceptions he has thrown this year but he should have had at least three more yesterday some of which could have gone to the house. I think without question the Cards will come up with another QB in FA or via a trade this comming year. Green and Graves have been around to long to not read the writing on the wall and are not going to get caught up with his lack of production again. Furthermore Green has very little patience and you can bet he must be fuming at McCowns play yesterday. This guy is by no means a rookie and just getting better in his case is not good enough. There are some things you have or you do not have to be a successfull QB. You do not learn them. He is lacking these intangibiles. You can bet the players know it and you can bet the coach knowns it.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
PJ1 said:
Really hard to say. He has been up and down most of the year. Thought he played better last week than this week. To be honest, I am not confident that he will get a lot better than he is now but I hope I am wrong.

PJ I think the time for hoping has passed. It is now time for action on the part of management.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
TigToad said:
Frankly, if we lose to the Bucs next week and go 5-11, I still say we are a much better team. We did get blown out twice (?) this year, but that is way better than every road game like last year. We choked up two games real bad this year that cost us. We had opportunities to make the play offs as late as week 16. I think we should have won yesterday. I am frustrated at mistakes made and some poor plays. I have been frustrated by McCown on many occassions. I have wanted to fire several offensive linemen and I'd like a defensive line that could rush the QB AND stop the run.

However, no where in this frustration should any of us lose sight of the fact that we are a better team. We play with a chip on our shoulder and while we are screwing up more than I like, we had about a 33% roster turn around from last year. We had a QB that had started 2 games before this season and 4 or 5 rookies starting in key positions most of the year, including FOUR of our draft picks. Hell, I'm ecstatic that we had 4 draft picks make the team. (only slight sarcasm).

I will be upgrading my flex pack to season tickets next year. It'll be the first year I sign on all the way, because I believe the product they put on the field is competitive and fun to watch. The lesson we learned this year was how to play the games so they are close and winable. Next year, we can start to learn to win those close games. When that new stadium is finished we have the young talent to be the NFC champions. We have 15 or so starters that I am happy with. Last year, it was no where near that number. I was thinking today we have about 5 players that we have to upgrade to be a play off team. Last year, it was about 5 players I didn't want to cut.

Give Denny about a season or so of slack. He put a competitive, fun product on the field. Give this team another draft and another free agent year... yet again without losing any important free agents we don't want to lose... and we'll only get better.

I am impressed with this team at times... but at least there are times I am impressed with this team.

Our owners/coaches/fans should not accept just being better than last year. That is a terrible measuring stick. San Diego went from horrible to a playoff team in one year. We need to think bigger and not accept that "we are better than last year". Almost any team in the league is better than the Cards last year. I am not satisfied nor should any of us be with just being better than last year. I sure hope Coach Green does not use that as a measuring stick. Teams in the NFL can turn it around in one year with FA and good drafts and do. We should accept no less and the coach should accept no less. For a team to not make it to a .500 winning percentage in a decade is a disgrace. Who cares if you are better? The object is to win and make the playoffs and go from there. Some teams appear to make the playoffs year after year. Why them and not us????????

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
az jam said:
The team is headed in the right direction that is for sure. Solid off season moves will be critical. Don't be surprised if Denny makes changes (which many want) with the coaching staff.

When you are one of the worst it is hard not to head in the right direction. It is a sad commentary on our team that we as fans gloat over heading in the right direction or being better than last year. In Philly the fans expect to win the super bowl not improve from last year or be headed in the right direction. This is the mindset of losers not winners. Screw headed in the right direction or being better than last year. Put a dam team on the field that can make the playoffs. You do not build teams over 3 or 4 years anymore. With FA you either get better quick or you continue your losing ways.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Osbern61 said:
I'm optimistic about next year as well. Hopefully the Cards beat the bucs next week that(6 wins) would be something to boost our cred in free agency.

The only way to really make a critical judgement about next year is to see how we address the running game, the QB situation and the offensive line, and the coaches. Without knowing how these will be addressed there is no reason to be optimistic or pessimistic about this team. There is not enough available information. Clearly this team as it is will be no better than this year starting next year. The only measure we have to go on is history and that is not very encouraging.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
unfair

Teams don't go from terrible to good in one year. They go from losing records to winning records in one year. The Chargers have been upgrading positions on that team for a couple years now, starting with Tomlinson. We had a LOT of positions to upgrade this year. The team we are right now is a way better team than last year's team. Our record is only slightly better. But, with another good off season, we can be one of those teams that turns it around.

I absolutely agree with you that coaches and players can never, ever settle for being better, but not being great. Players and coaches are being payed to be great.

Fans, on the other hand, need to root for their team and back them even when you 'only' get to cling to better. Thats what being a fan is, rooting for yoru team and trying like heck to find the good in whatever you can. Otherwise, it just becomes a chore to scream your lungs out at the stadium next week. I'm a fan.

john h said:
Our owners/coaches/fans should not accept just being better than last year. That is a terrible measuring stick. San Diego went from horrible to a playoff team in one year. We need to think bigger and not accept that "we are better than last year". Almost any team in the league is better than the Cards last year. I am not satisfied nor should any of us be with just being better than last year. I sure hope Coach Green does not use that as a measuring stick. Teams in the NFL can turn it around in one year with FA and good drafts and do. We should accept no less and the coach should accept no less. For a team to not make it to a .500 winning percentage in a decade is a disgrace. Who cares if you are better? The object is to win and make the playoffs and go from there. Some teams appear to make the playoffs year after year. Why them and not us????????

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:
I for one didn't think Josh was ready to be a winning QB this year but by know means can one look at a QB in his first year as a starter and say he is beyond help unless he plays horrid like the Bears rookie QB. Josh is playing a whole lot better in his first year as a starter than say hmmm... Eli Manning. As far as only having one more win so far doesn't make this team any better... well, I watched all the games last year (the whole stinking games through) and the difference is clear, we didn't lose by twenty points or more everytime we took the field. Many people are talking about having a running game... well Josh doesn't have one so they are absolutely correct. Darn, Drew looks a lot better once the Bills put Willis in the backfield. .

That's really a myth, with McGahee, Bledsoe has 14 TD and 12 picks, without him 6 TD and 3 picks. rating went down with McGahee too. The reason the bills won was Mcgahee gave them a run game, not because Bledsoe got better. With their defense, having a run game allowed them to control the clock.

McGahee is one of the more valuable players in the NFL this year because the difference with him and without him is so obvious.

as for Brees, you do know he played with LT last year too? Wasn't all LT making him look good, he improved a lot, all those challenges from Flutie and now Rivers finally paid off. Same might be true with josh, bring in competition can only be good for him.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
TigToad said:
Teams don't go from terrible to good in one year. They go from losing records to winning records in one year. The Chargers have been upgrading positions on that team for a couple years now, starting with Tomlinson. We had a LOT of positions to upgrade this year. The team we are right now is a way better team than last year's team. Our record is only slightly better. But, with another good off season, we can be one of those teams that turns it around.

I absolutely agree with you that coaches and players can never, ever settle for being better, but not being great. Players and coaches are being payed to be great.

Fans, on the other hand, need to root for their team and back them even when you 'only' get to cling to better. Thats what being a fan is, rooting for yoru team and trying like heck to find the good in whatever you can. Otherwise, it just becomes a chore to scream your lungs out at the stadium next week. I'm a fan.

If you measure being good and bad by a teams record then most certainly teams like San Diego do go from being very bad to being very good in one year. I think they won 3 games last year and have won 11 or 12 this year. That is going from bad to good real fast. They had Tomlinson last year so it was not him. It is almost fortunate for them that Rivers held out and did not show up for training camp as he would likely have been the starter and Brees would be on the sideline instead of one of the most valuable players in the NFL. Teams in this day and age do not expect to take time to rebuild. Monetary pressures and FA does not allow it. Good teams can go south as fast as bad teams can go north in just one year. Tampa who? With some wise choices in FA (if we have the money and they will come) we could turn it around in one year. A good QB like a Brees, a good RB and perhaps a good OL and we might win 10 games. It is much harder for a celler dweller like our team to make this transition though not impossible. We put it all together in the 60's for a few years with Jim Hart and the Cardiac Cards and won 10 games several seasons. We lucked up on Jim Hart from a small school who came off the bench to be an outstanding QB. We filled the stadium in those days.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1