So what happened?

Reaction score
I go to another place to discuss the Cards and it's amazing the difference between there and here.
That place may be on the optimistic side but this place is definitely on the pessimistic side and it's jarring when I come back here.

I thought Kyler played well, he missed a few throws but made some throws that many QBs simply can't make. And generally took care of the ball while maybe being banged up.

Penalties and line played killed us IMO. We also didn't really establish the run.

Also, I don't know if the play clock on my TV is accurate or not but the Seahawks got away with 2 delay of games on their final FG drive and there was a false start missed as well, although I admit that was a little closer than the delay of games which seemed clear as day, one was at least one full second past :00, maybe more.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
These teams are fairly, evenly matched at this point. This game was there for the taking, despite having needlessly squandered a timeout. The Cards have about a minute left. The steadily moved down the field gobbling up yardage, making 10-12 yards, one first down at a time until about the 30. All of a sudden they toss out that strategy to try to get it all in one play. They lacked the patience and poise to continue what was working. Again they failed to understand that even had that strategy change worked they would have given Wilson the opportunity to beat them with a last second field goal. Murray shows his worst trait of continuing with his primary receiver by throwing to Fitz who is doubled covered, instead of taking the short toss. Fittingly the drive ends with Murray being sacked as they can’t protect him long enough to let the receivers get deep. During the course of the game I comment when Seattle completed a hot read, that KK doesn’t employ that tactic. I guess he’s creatively drawn to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

KK continues to lack the in-game self-discipline necessary to lead a top team. He seems to only listen to one voice: his. He lets emotions rule logical judgement and statistical probability. These are hard things to change. There’s no way to be certain he can’t evolve into a top coach, but I’m far from convinced he’s headed there.

Posters will respond about all the points they’ve scored. Keep in mind NFL scoring is setting a record pace. Think how many defenses the Cards have played against that had their secondaries decimated. In other games they faced a collapsed line. 2020 is just devastating rosters. For the most part, the Cards passing game has avoided the 2020 syndrome. So they have put points on the board. Have they dominated many games? Do they even control many games? Every game is a challenge. They have enough offensive talent to make the playoffs and I think they will, but it will be a stressful journey.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All I can say was it felt like a loss the entire game. There’s wasn’t a single point I thought they were going to win. Kyler wasn’t being kyler. We have the most talented roster of players, we also have the dumbest roster and coaching staff. It’s infuriating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I felt we were going to win when we got the ball back down 2 in the 4th, and then we had the Arnold mix-up which led to the IG. I also felt we were going to force OT when we got the ball back and Kyler moved it to the Hawks 35 with a minute left and two timeouts.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The team just didn't seem ready to play.

But Seattle didn't look very good either.

I feel like the o-line play was actually the biggest reason for the loss - and Dre Kirkpatricks ridiculous penalty.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belichick isn’t looked at as a good coach, eh? Or Payton?

Belicheck went 11-4 with Matt Cassel at QB. He also went 3-1 with Garappalo and Jacoby Bursett in 2016 when Brady was suspended. He’s also won 6 super bowl and been to 9.

Payton went 5-0 when their HOF QB got injured last year. He’s also won a Super Bowl, been to numerous NFC Title Games and the playoffs over ten times.

that’s why those guys are looked at as good coaches. They’ve won big, in the playoffs and they’ve shown not to be total one trick ponies solely dependent on MVP level QBs, finding ways to win even when they don’t have those guys for stretches of seasons.

KK has accomplished absolutely nothing in college or pro at this point. Right now, jury’s out.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The discipline is a problem.

Discipline and game planning.

Why the high number of penalties on both sides of the ball?

How many deep shots did the Cardinals take? 1 maybe 2???

I dont think we target Hopkins nearly enough, he should be seeing 10 targets a game minimum

You have the best wr in the league on your team. Get him the ball however you can.

I think some of that is on Kliff some is on Kyler. Its hard to tell. Whenever they show the all 22, Hop is getting doubled tightly

Kliff needs to use motion and isolate hopkins 1-1.

Just get him the ball please.

Hop was getting frustrated and I don’t blame him. They’re using him like a possession WR.

The Hail Murray was a band aid.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One thing for sure. Kyler is getting pissed off with Kliff sometimes and some of his calls. You could see it last night on 3rd and 10 when he called the TO. There was no need to call that TO. You can see the team are ready, trust Kyler knows what he is doing and will get the snap off.

Petty stuff like that, 2nd guessing Kyler, needs to stop.

The timeout was not a major error. He called it right when the clock hit zero, even though that doesn’t mean the delay flag should be thrown, sometimes refs throw it (mistaking 0.9 seconds for 0.0). It was absolutely not a terrible decision. Kyler was slightly frustrated, but he should have been ready to snap much faster than he was. It would have been a disaster to drop back to 3rd and 15 in that spot.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hop was getting frustrated and I don’t blame him. They’re using him like a possession WR.

Every player gets frustrated when they don’t get the ball. If Seattle is bracketing Hopkins over the top, it makes no sense to chuck it deep: especially when we moved the ball just fine in the 2nd half when Kliff and Kyler got their bearings.

Hopkins has been targeted deep quite a bit: he has several long catches on the year other than the game-winner. The TD catch against Seattle in Game 1, for example.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Belicheck went 11-4 with Matt Cassel at QB. He also went 3-1 with Garappalo and Jacoby Bursett in 2016 when Brady was suspended. He’s also won 6 super bowl and been to 9.

Payton went 5-0 when their HOF QB got injured last year. He’s also won a Super Bowl, been to numerous NFC Title Games and the playoffs over ten times.

that’s why those guys are looked at as good coaches. They’ve won big, in the playoffs and they’ve shown not to be total one trick ponies solely dependent on MVP level QBs, finding ways to win even when they don’t have those guys for stretches of seasons.

KK has accomplished absolutely nothing in college or pro at this point. Right now, jury’s out.

Your point made no sense. Belichick got fired by Cleveland b/c he couldn’t win with their QB. Carroll got fired from the NFL same reason (and he’s only won with Russ). Tomlin has only won with Ben. Saban got run from the NFL: He’s not a bad coach.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After Sunday night’s game, this game was a big let down to me. From the opening kick off, there was no excitement in this game. It was like the Jets playing the Jags or some other lousy team that I didn’t really care about watching. It was that way the whole game, no excitement. Even on our last series, I was not excited, even though we still had a chance.

I had the blahs. The game had the blahs.:shrug:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Every player gets frustrated when they don’t get the ball. If Seattle is bracketing Hopkins over the top, it makes no sense to chuck it deep: especially when we moved the ball just fine in the 2nd half when Kliff and Kyler got their bearings.

Hopkins has been targeted deep quite a bit: he has several long catches on the year other than the game-winner. The TD catch against Seattle in Game 1, for example.

He has not been targeted deep “quite a bit”. Certainly not the past 3 games or the first 3-4 games.

He’s the best WR in the league and Seattle has the worst pass D in the league. The issue needs to be forced.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
These teams are fairly, evenly matched at this point. This game was there for the taking, despite having needlessly squandered a timeout. The Cards have about a minute left. The steadily moved down the field gobbling up yardage, making 10-12 yards, one first down at a time until about the 30. All of a sudden they toss out that strategy to try to get it all in one play. They lacked the patience and poise to continue what was working. Again they failed to understand that even had that strategy change worked they would have given Wilson the opportunity to beat them with a last second field goal. Murray shows his worst trait of continuing with his primary receiver by throwing to Fitz who is doubled covered, instead of taking the short toss. Fittingly the drive ends with Murray being sacked as they can’t protect him long enough to let the receivers get deep. During the course of the game I comment when Seattle completed a hot read, that KK doesn’t employ that tactic. I guess he’s creatively drawn to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

KK continues to lack the in-game self-discipline necessary to lead a top team. He seems to only listen to one voice: his. He lets emotions rule logical judgement and statistical probability. These are hard things to change. There’s no way to be certain he can’t evolve into a top coach, but I’m far from convinced he’s headed there.

Posters will respond about all the points they’ve scored. Keep in mind NFL scoring is setting a record pace. Think how many defenses the Cards have played against that had their secondaries decimated. In other games they faced a collapsed line. 2020 is just devastating rosters. For the most part, the Cards passing game has avoided the 2020 syndrome. So they have put points on the board. Have they dominated many games? Do they even control many games? Every game is a challenge. They have enough offensive talent to make the playoffs and I think they will, but it will be a stressful journey.

the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Cowboys by 2 and struggled entire game. And Dallas had a 3rd string QB!!! 2 weeks ago Tampa Bay got beat 31-3 on national TV. Great teams struggle. And struggle a lot. We made the Super Bowl in 2008 and looked awful in a 3rd of our games. Win 4 games and we are definitely in the playoffs. Win 3 and very good chance.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
We are an inconsistent team at the moment. Lots of peaks and valleys.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you ever gonna give Miami their credit? They are 6-3 for a reason. Stop treating them like they’re the damn Bengals or something.

I'm not treating them like the Bengals. We still should have won.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I definitely saw some of that too. But to be fair, the one chance he had to make a big play he turned a 40 or 50 yard catch and run into a 22 yard catch and run out of bounds. That replay they showed it was unreal how much room there was with Edmonds in front to block He likely isn't going to score but it took us 5 more plays and over 2 more minutes to get a TD on that drive and I still for the life of me have no idea why D Hop ran out?

NFL players are weird sometimes, last week PP gets the INT and runs in a small circle and then goes down. Last night Hopkins.

I was actually wondering if that cheapshot hit in the head by the rookie had him a little dinged and that's why he ran out bounds there but I don't think it was the same drive

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Combination of our losing guys to injuries, their getting guys back from injuries, 2 of their WRs (Lockett, Metcalf) matched up with PP21 and a meiocre CB2, their run game vs. an interior line missing Corey Peters.

Plus - they out-hit us (i.e. after contact, their guys would bounce for an additional 4 - 6 yards. Our guys were stopped cold after initial contact. We were penalized 10 times for 100+ yards. The Peterson 43 yd (or whatever) penalty was a crippler. The Kirkpatrick taunting call was lethal. Murra's grounding call was a killer. That final flag in the end zone put the final nail in our coffin.

Say what you will, but you can't play that sloppily and win many football games.

Can the penalty issues be cleared up by better coaching? Dunno - that's why they play the games

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Seahawks are a better coached team than Cardinals. That showed and Cardinals lost.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Seattle DC Ken Norton had a game plan that stuffed KK and KM---even while he also is DC for one of the worst D's in the entire NFL. Go figure. VJ was short-handed and I don't fault the effort or the attempts to cover up our preseason 2nd half DL personnel. We didn't have the manpower.

Pete Carroll over KK all day---you don't go to two SB for nuttin.'

Our team is a work in progress. If we are having this same discussion this time next year . . .

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seattle DC Ken Norton had a game plan that stuffed KK and KM---even while he also is DC for one of the worst D's in the entire NFL. Go figure. VJ was short-handed and I don't fault the effort or the attempts to cover up our preseason 2nd half DL personnel. We didn't have the manpower.

Pete Carroll over KK all day---you don't go to two SB for nuttin.'

Our team is a work in progress. If we are having this same discussion this time next year . . .

This is what pisses me off about Kliff. Where are the in game adjustments?

I'm no NFL coach but I'm thinking that if the opposition are keeping 8 in the box a lot to stop the run then I'm either going to protect with 6 and throw deep to force them to move a safety up, or I'm going 4 wide.

It seemed to me Kliff didn't make any real attempt to get the run game going by adjusting his plan. All he did was target the RB's more in the passing game which of course didn't help Kyler get free.

It didn't help that I thought the O line had their worst game of the season.

Reactions: HGC

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA