So what caused PP to "change his mind"

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's probably a couple of things.

1. It was never as bad as his friend let on. The 'friend' might be a person with lesser scruples and would do this, while PP might not. Thus when he talked he made it worse than it is.

2. MB laid down the law while maybe hinting at an offseason plan. Perhaps even going as far as... if you keep your mouth shut, play out the season, and don't like the changes made in offseason (maybe coaches) and free agency (player), we may consider your request around the draft if we can get good value.

Perhaps there wasn't even a trade request, but a hearing out session where PP vented and MB assured him they have a plan (like 2, but without the trade details.)

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
2. MB laid down the law while maybe hinting at an offseason plan. Perhaps even going as far as... if you keep your mouth shut, play out the season, and don't like the changes made in offseason (maybe coaches) and free agency (player), we may consider your request around the draft if we can get good value.

I think this is the most likely scenario.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Rich Eisen interviewed .. .what's his name? ... the short guys who does MMA?

He claims it all started when the Saints innocently called to inquire about PP2's trade availability, then all the telephoning back and forth was misconstrued as him being shopped around. Cardinals had already told the Saints 'not gonna happen.'

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The meeting with Micheal Bidwill and his commitment to fix the problems is what changed his mind for now. I agree with Cardsfan88 that it is basically wait and see what we do in the off season.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's a smart move EVEN IF he wants to be traded
if he yells and screams I WANT OUT - the media calls him a big baby that can't handle tough times and watch out team A if you have a bad season he's gonna start crying....
by putting out the statement it calms Cards fans and puts a pretty light on an otherwise poop stain of a situation.

My understanding is he went to Mike B and asked if the Cards are working on being contenders or rebuilding ground up....and Mike said we are NOT in an unload and rebuild mode.

Don't count out the possibility of a trade, but if they do all hell is gonna break loose in AZ land. Season tickets will be burned on YouTube.

OP
OP
K

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
So basically MB talked PP off the ledge, and said wait til off season, not sure I understand the rationale on either side, He still wants out, the team still stinks, so what really changed. Is PP gonna half azz it the rest of the way, not tackle anybody, or fake an injury. The toothpaste is outta the tube now. I assume Cards will trade him to Buffalo or Oakland for a 1st round pick in offseason. Buy hey PP, if you could shipped out to a crappy team, thats the risk you take. I will never look at him the same going forward.

PP embarrassed the organization and pizzed off the fans when he could have quietly had the same conversation with MB. Horse crap way of handling things PP.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rich Eisen interviewed .. .what's his name? ... the short guys who does MMA?

He claims it all started when the Saints innocently called to inquire about PP2's trade availability, then all the telephoning back and forth was misconstrued as him being shopped around. Cardinals had already told the Saints 'not gonna happen.'
Jay Glazer?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He didn’t change his mind. If given the choice, he would still walk away. However, due to his contract, he’s not in a position of power. I hope the conversation was fruitful and laid out the organization’s plans for a quick reboot. PP21 deserves to know what’s going on behind the scenes.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Maybe people shouldn’t take everything “insiders” like schefter say as gospel.

Wasn’t Andy Reid our HC a few years ago?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think:

the trade request was genuine
when told they weren't going to trade him, he has made the best of it
I think the Mike B sit down gave Pat P a quasi-graceful way out
I also think it genuinely helped, but didn't 100% reverse PP feelings

and I also think as a fan -- it helps because it put the org on notice ( it was anyway) -- but in on notice in a way that hopefully adds some urgency to Mike Bs process this offseason.

the only thing worse for the org coming off a 2-14 kinda season would be one of its bonafide stars giving the org a vote of no confidence

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I would say there is a 50/50 chance that by the end of day one of the 2019 draft PP will be wearing a different uniform in a different town unless they rip up his contract and give him a new one making him the highest paid CB in the NFL.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His release was just spin. Doesn’t want to be booed mercilessly at home Sunday.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He realized there was zero chance of the Cards dealing him and he was smart enough to know that trying to force it in this short window by going nuclear was not going to change that and would just hurt himself (trade value, salary potential, HOF potential) as much as the org.

The thing is though, MB needs more than him to squash the "I want out" stuff. He needs to him to be dedicated to the org, be a leader, be all-in and not just on game day. This is where I think MB told him that him to give it a few more games (if not the rest of the season) and if things don't get better and the players are still in mutiny mode that he will force changes, and I'm sure PP said he'll go with the flow and hold him to it in the offseason.

What those changes are I don't know, and it likely depends on the time scale of how they are going to measure improvement and success. It could be as small as forcing the defense scheme to change a bit more towards what the players are comfortable and successful with. It could something bigger, like promising a new DC. Or, it could be as far as promising a new HC next year. It sounds crazy, but if the Wilks and staff have lost PP, there is a chance (not saying likely, but a chance) he's lost most/all of the team. At that point you either let the inmates run the asylum or get a new HC, or else you'll get uninspired play out of these guys.

I'm not sure if Wilks has lost all of the players yet, but I can see for guys like PP and Fitz it is very tough on them. They have performed at the top of their game, made lots of money, locks for HOF (Fitz 1st ballot, but PP will likely get there)... all they want is ring, and the first step is to be just good enough to get to the playoffs. This team is isn't light years from what it was just a season ago, so I'm sure in their minds their isn't even any light at the end of the tunnel to give keep that dream alive. Fitz is way too much of a pro to ever ask for a trade, but if I were in their shoes I can't say I wouldn't be thinking about the prospect of going to a team that isn't a sh*tshow, let alone a contender.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe people shouldn’t take everything “insiders” like schefter say as gospel.

Wasn’t Andy Reid our HC a few years ago?

I thought the exact same thing, Cbus, and I even had written a post on the matter that I was about to post. Then, literally in the same minute, Peterson admitted that he did say something to Michael Bidwill, Steve Keim or Steve Wilks, or all three, in the start of the week, and based on the reports I tend to believe he said that he wanted out. Maybe it didn’t happen exactly like Schefter said, but the basic point was just as he reported.

I am kind of torn on this one. On one hand I am angry that he choose this exact time to do this. You would be very hard pressed to find a worse timing, and he must have known this, as I don’t believe it was a spontaneously action. If I am right, then he, full knowingly, made a bad situation worse for the organization. Because of that, I would strip him of his captaincy. I don’t think you can do this and still call yourself a captain.

On the other hand, people chase greener pastures all the time, and with the Cards alone you just have to look at previous key contributors like Tyrann Mathieu, Calais Campbell and Tony Jefferson (and probably others) to find players who have gotten their chance in the NFL because of the Cards, and who got lucrative contract offers from the Cards, but choose to turn their back on their teammates and the organization to make a business decision that benefitted themselves the most. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, and I certainly don’t think bad of those players because of it, but when you look at it in the same light as what Peterson did, it is exactly what happened.

I don’t know. I have always liked Patrick Peterson, and I still like him. I believe him, and I am happy that he is staying with the team.