So ready for VR gaming

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Minecraft that was shown at E3 was pretty damn amazing.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Crazy. We have been waiting for this for a long time.

Remember in the 90's when VR was THE FUTURE! Then it just disappeared.

One step closer to the end game which is being able to plug your mind straight into the VR world and then none of us will ever leave the house! lol.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy. We have been waiting for this for a long time.

Remember in the 90's when VR was THE FUTURE! Then it just disappeared.

One step closer to the end game which is being able to plug your mind straight into the VR world and then none of us will ever leave the house! lol.

I think the biggest problem was we were trying to do the walk around VR instead of figuring out a way to use a controller with it. This looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
OMG - There is an episode of Sunny In Philadelphia this season where they play a VR Game. It pretty much foreshadows problems with playing VR games! Pretty funny.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Love my PSVR. There's also a program called Trinus that can get it to work on PC. (haven't gotten around to trying it)

RE7, Werewolves Within... the upcoming Star Trek Bridge Crew game. The X-wing demo in Star Wars: Battlefront is pretty cool.

It's true though, motion sickness can hit you with certain movements. Games like Werewolves Within are no problem. But when you put yourself in games like Rigs or the Star Wars, it can hit you.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a perfect solution for moving around. Honestly, the biggest shortcoming. Even with augmented reality you would have to put objects in the game to match your environment but that would take away from the total immersion.

Just don't see how you will ever get away from using a controller to navigate and games on "rails" that automatically move you forward suck.

Still looking forward to it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a perfect solution for moving around. Honestly, the biggest shortcoming. Even with augmented reality you would have to put objects in the game to match your environment but that would take away from the total immersion.

Just don't see how you will ever get away from using a controller to navigate and games on "rails" that automatically move you forward suck.

Still looking forward to it.

The problem is that when you have games that move around, most if not all of them have motion sickness with them. If they ever do figure it out, it will be awesome.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I am a total newbie in Virtual Reality
As it turned out, there is a huge variety of VR
https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/virtual-reality-headsets
Samsung Gear looks pretty nice and well-made, besides there are lots of positive reviews. I just can't get understand, where do you get games for this and do u need a separate game pad??

I personally was not impressed. The screen was low resolution and yes there is a controller. You purchase the games via Samsung's store which you can access via the phone. I believe some games are available on google play.

If you just want to get your feet wet this will probably work.

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-vr/

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally was not impressed. The screen was low resolution and yes there is a controller. You purchase the games via Samsung's store which you can access via the phone. I believe some games are available on google play.

If you just want to get your feet wet this will probably work.

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-vr/
He was a spammer. Not sure why this post didn't get deleted, but I've taken care of it now.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did it a couple weeks back. I plunked down for a PSVR. It's the weakest of the bunch in terms of raw horse power but it actually does a better job on the "screen door" effect because of the subpixel tech Sony is using.

I tried the other 2 first (Oculus & Vive). Both were impressive and had better graphics but the screen door effect was pretty noticeable on both. Not to mention the price to get into those was really high (including the PC).

Plus what put PSVR over the edge for me was the number of games in the pipeline. There just seemed to be a ton of promised support games wise for the PSVR.

So far so good. Yes, I wish it was higher resolution but the good news is that the PS4 Pro has extra juice the developers have not even used yet. So this first batch is maxed out for the older PS4 but has not yet maximized the PS4 Pro. The games will work for either but soon Sony says "enhanced" modes for future PSVR games will take advantage of the extra juice in the Pro model.

Last but not least the games. I have to tell you that even though this first batch of games again could be better visually you get lost in the worlds. The immersion in some of these games is amazing. Developers are just learning how to program for these. The ceiling is high IMO.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did it a couple weeks back. I plunked down for a PSVR. It's the weakest of the bunch in terms of raw horse power but it actually does a better job on the "screen door" effect because of the subpixel tech Sony is using.

I tried the other 2 first (Oculus & Vive). Both were impressive and had better graphics but the screen door effect was pretty noticeable on both. Not to mention the price to get into those was really high (including the PC).

Plus what put PSVR over the edge for me was the number of games in the pipeline. There just seemed to be a ton of promised support games wise for the PSVR.

So far so good. Yes, I wish it was higher resolution but the good news is that the PS4 Pro has extra juice the developers have not even used yet. So this first batch is maxed out for the older PS4 but has not yet maximized the PS4 Pro. The games will work for either but soon Sony says "enhanced" modes for future PSVR games will take advantage of the extra juice in the Pro model.

Last but not least the games. I have to tell you that even though this first batch of games again could be better visually you get lost in the worlds. The immersion in some of these games is amazing. Developers are just learning how to program for these. The ceiling is high IMO.

I am surprised the xbone X didnt have VR as a explanation point on its hardware, hopefully they do something similar as I dont have a playstation.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am surprised the xbone X didnt have VR as a explanation point on its hardware, hopefully they do something similar as I dont have a playstation.

The XBOX X will have AR support but I just read a rumor that they might make a deal for VR support as well. Whatever that means. I think MS will push hard for their AR technology though.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The XBOX X will have AR support but I just read a rumor that they might make a deal for VR support as well. Whatever that means. I think MS will push hard for their AR technology though.

I thought for sure they were going to push it as mixed reality and have AR and VR. The machine can handle it, thats for sure. I guess we'll see. The Oculus comes with an Xbone remote so it seemed a given there would be a partnership and games.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought for sure they were going to push it as mixed reality and have AR and VR. The machine can handle it, thats for sure. I guess we'll see. The Oculus comes with an Xbone remote so it seemed a given there would be a partnership and games.

That's what I think they do. They push their own AR tech and to make sure they don't alienate VR fans announce a deal with Oculus. Honestly, I think that is the smart play IMO if that is how it goes. That way MS can concentrate on AR and not spread themselves to thin with VR.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This is mainly why I got the PSVR too. Screen Door effect, Sony support, $399, and the fact that there were hints that at some point they might even support it on PC. Of course there's also Trinus which is a paid app (there's a free demo) where you can use PSVR on PC.

No way Oculus or Vive would ever be usable on PS4.

Interesting that only the PSVR is capable of native 120hz. I really need to get around to trying Trinus and see how much better PSVR looks on a capable PC. That graphics gap is probably mostly due to PS4/Pro hardware limitations rather then the headsets themselves.

There are already games that take advantage of PS4 Pro.

The resolution issue isn't a big deal. 1080 vs 1200 is a huge difference. We really need 4k or even 8k VR. So knowing that's where we need to get to really get it right, it just doesn't make much sense to make a big deal about such a small difference between these 1st gen offerings.

There are some fun social games on PSVR. Werewolves Within and Star Trek Bridge Crew are quite fun. Also don't forget if you have Battlefront on PS4 they have a free VR mission.

As for Microsoft, I think they are waiting. They are asking people to buy a premium console, so I don't think they want to ask people buy a Rift or Vive. That's a lot of money. Also AR is last I checked something like 2000-3000 and has like a credit card a few inches in front of your faces field of view (really bad FOV). It's just not ready yet.

I thought I read something about Microsoft partnering with someone to make a VR headset compatible with PC.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/12/acer-microsoft-vr-mixed-reality/

Perhaps this is their stepping stone to something bigger with Xbox Two or something.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SO I bought a 15" asus helios 300 predator (mouthful) gaming laptop. It can run any VR headset on the market.

I have $500 in credit on amazon.com.......

hmmmmmmmm

I guess I'm going to have to over analyze everything for a week and make a decision. Right now you have the vive, the rift and the new windows mixed reality headsets all with their own pros and cons it seems. All 3 access SteamVR so the gaming selection should be similar on everything.

The ASUS mixed reality headset is about 250 right now where the vive is 500 and the rift is 400. The asus has no speakers but I have headphones I could use.

hmmmmmm

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VIVE and it isn't close. Better games and better support. Even those all use Steam, it doesn't mean all VR games work on all headsets.

If you can wait another year or two and get the wireless VIVE that would be best. If not, I would consider at least waiting a month or two. The VIVE Pro headset is coming out next month and has a chance to bring down prices even more.

One of the biggest reasons why I don't play VR as often as I like is because the cord that has to connect to your PC is constantly in your way. No matter what I do, I end up stepping on the cable.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
VIVE and it isn't close. Better games and better support. Even those all use Steam, it doesn't mean all VR games work on all headsets.

If you can wait another year or two and get the wireless VIVE that would be best. If not, I would consider at least waiting a month or two. The VIVE Pro headset is coming out next month and has a chance to bring down prices even more.

One of the biggest reasons why I don't play VR as often as I like is because the cord that has to connect to your PC is constantly in your way. No matter what I do, I end up stepping on the cable.

PSVR is quite nice. It's ability for 120fps is the best on the market. The problem is the hardware behind it. The consoles, even X1X just aren't powerful enough to truly deliver the top notch experience. People just don't understand that the consoles CPU are literally cutting off 40-60 frames per second from the top end. To truly get higher framerates you NEED a good CPU. The consoles have absolute crap CPU's.

You can have the same roughly GPU power as the X1X, but have an i7, and your PC will run the games at 80-120 FPS or higher on the same settings that are 30-55ish FPS on an X1X.

Thus to compensate for that on PSVR they have to drastically lower the IQ and resolution, so it doesn't even match the capability of the PSVR screen.

Vive only has the room aspect, hand controls, and a slightly higher resolution (which is nothing really) going for it in terms of actual hardware.

PSVR also has been the cheapest, as low as $149.99, and quite often has sales at $199.99.

Wires are a problem, and when the wireless (with hopefully replacement batteries!!! that's the key... you don't want to throw the thing out when the battery dies/has 30 minute life) versions eventually hit the market, they'll be great.

Trinus allows you to use PSVR on PC. Obviously not everything is quite compatible if the game requires the room/touch type inputs.

https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/psvr/

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's the first thing I thought of when I looked at them and noticed they are all corded.

If I wait a year or two my system will probably be obsolete lol

A month or two may be possible, We'll see. I am going to go try out the VR gaming at octane raceway by next weekend just to make sure I like it enough.

Thx for input, I had heard similar about the vive. My area will only be about 8x8 too.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PSVR is quite nice. It's ability for 120fps is the best on the market. The problem is the hardware behind it. The consoles, even X1X just aren't powerful enough to truly deliver the top notch experience. People just don't understand that the consoles CPU are literally cutting off 40-60 frames per second from the top end. To truly get higher framerates you NEED a good CPU. The consoles have absolute crap CPU's.

You can have the same roughly GPU power as the X1X, but have an i7, and your PC will run the games at 80-120 FPS or higher on the same settings that are 30-55ish FPS on an X1X.

Thus to compensate for that on PSVR they have to drastically lower the IQ and resolution, so it doesn't even match the capability of the PSVR screen.

Vive only has the room aspect, hand controls, and a slightly higher resolution (which is nothing really) going for it in terms of actual hardware.

PSVR also has been the cheapest, as low as $149.99, and quite often has sales at $199.99.

Wires are a problem, and when the wireless (with hopefully replacement batteries!!! that's the key... you don't want to throw the thing out when the battery dies/has 30 minute life) versions eventually hit the market, they'll be great.

Trinus allows you to use PSVR on PC. Obviously not everything is quite compatible if the game requires the room/touch type inputs.

I don't have or want a ps4 so that Trinus would be the only way even if I went that route. This will be solely for in my room on my gaming laptop.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PSVR wasn't in his option set. :)

If you are wanting to try VR on a budget and have a PS4, I'd say go for it. I can't speak for Trinus though.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SO I bought a 15" asus helios 300 predator (mouthful) gaming laptop. It can run any VR headset on the market.

I have $500 in credit on amazon.com.......

hmmmmmmmm

I guess I'm going to have to over analyze everything for a week and make a decision. Right now you have the vive, the rift and the new windows mixed reality headsets all with their own pros and cons it seems. All 3 access SteamVR so the gaming selection should be similar on everything.

The ASUS mixed reality headset is about 250 right now where the vive is 500 and the rift is 400. The asus has no speakers but I have headphones I could use.

hmmmmmm

For your situation, obviously you're not going for PSVR, so the Vive would be a great choice. Didn't see your question.

The 1060 in it will run quite nicely, the i7 7700hq is a nice laptop CPU, but it will hinder VR a bit. But you should be able to tune some stuff to get it running pretty great.

Just remember you want a high framerate, so sacrifice some IQ for higher framerate.

Personally I really got to try out my i7 7700k and GTX 1070 on Trinus with PSVR. Still haven't gotten around to it lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson