Snap Counts and Thoughts - @CHI

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The 15th overall pick is a high price to pay to motivate an off-ball linebacker.
Only if you’re buying that Collins is already deemed to be a bust. Just like many, I’m sure that Keim felt that Collins was the best player available at 15 when we drafted. And it’s not like Hicks is a young player in his prime. He’s getting long in the tooth. Those on this board that have dogged Keim the last few years have already been proven wrong, so I’ll take the odds that they’ll be wrong here too.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it’s not like Simmons was taking snaps from a scrub. He took over for established veteran Devondre Campbell who has been killing it for the Packers after leaving.
The difference I would argue there is that Campbell was here on a one year contract and wasn't the leader on defense or play caller. Simmons and Campbell were both learning the Cardinals defense where Hicks is handled all play calls on defense.

I will say I wasn't a fan of the Collins pick for the reasons you have mentioned. I wanted Surtain, who was gone, or Farley. But we didn't get either and instead we have Collins and I'll wait and see what happens next season with him before I judge.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Oh, man, the hardcore Collins defense on here is hilarious. It's like it's WWI on the board and posters are desperately trying to defend every inch of turf.

Fact: Collins isn't playing much--3 snaps last game.
Fact: Collins isn't playing over Vallejo and Walker, I think his name is.
Fact: Collins is playing far less than even Simmons played last year.

Everything else is conjecture. You know, you can really enjoy the run this team is on AND be disappointed we haven't gotten any impact, or even snap count contributions, from our 1st-round pick.
No one is defending Collins because no one knows anything. But you seem to be the only one blasting him based on incomplete evidence. But that's your MO, always looking for something to complain about with this team.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Chooper has it right. Collins needs to be on the outside as a rusher right now. Might have a Reddick like start

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Only if you’re buying that Collins is already deemed to be a bust. Just like many, I’m sure that Keim felt that Collins was the best player available at 15 when we drafted. And it’s not like Hicks is a young player in his prime. He’s getting long in the tooth. Those on this board that have dogged Keim the last few years have already been proven wrong, so I’ll take the odds that they’ll be wrong here too.
Hmm, I think “wrong” is an incorrect word. They were right in previous years. Each year a GM makes moves and each move should be judged both individually and in the aggregate. For instance, we could win a super bowl this year and due to the flimsy reliance on one or two year contract older vets fade back into the non playoff realm thereafter. At which point it would be appropriate to judge those years as failures. He’s really an interesting mixed bag of success and failure. Was integral in the arians success, was also integral in allowing that success to fade instead of maintaining it, had a hand in wilks debacle, has been involved in resurgence. pretty good on one year deals, great on trades, mediocre at best drafting, hasn’t managed a continuity of a roster as evidenced by our pending free agency debacle.

Same can be said about players. I think many see the concept of “bust” as being binary. Good or bad. But it can vary from year to year. Hicks is a great example. Bust last year but terrific this year. So I think it comes down to expectations. Did someone meet them, exceed them, or fail to do either? I think it’s safe to say that for his rookie year, thus far, Collins has been a bust. He was our highest selection, the 15th player selected of everyone available in the whole country that was draft eligible, we were told he would start right away, and he is failing to get play time over bottom of the roster/practice squad players. Almost zero-ish production in the big scheme of things. By virtually any definition that’s a bust for this year, thus far.

And that would be considered a bust in any industry. Yes, there’s a learning curve involved in all individuals initial year in a job, but the 15th overall pick in the draft is like recruiting someone from MIT if you’re an engineering firm. You have high expectations of that individual and you’re paying him or her for those expectations. Even in the first year you would expect to get some production out of that engineer and you would expect to maybe bring them into projects that you wouldn’t include your worst engineers (the guys or gals that may be let go - ala practice squadera like walker). Particularly this far into their first year with your firm. You’d look forward to their growth but you’d also be disappointed in what you got, or rather did NOT get, this year. And you’d be justified in your position. Just as many think about Collins now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No one is defending Collins because no one knows anything. But you seem to be the only one blasting him based on incomplete evidence. But that's your MO, always looking for something to complain about with this team.
I think his evidence is pretty clear: not playing over Vallejo and walker. We can only guess at the reason, but that’s an indisputable fact at this juncture.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And it’s not like Simmons was taking snaps from a scrub. He took over for established veteran Devondre Campbell who has been killing it for the Packers after leaving.

I’m not mad about Collins. I’m actually laughing about it. The fiasco is hilarious. I’m sure it won’t matter much in the long term because the difference between a C+ and A- off-ball linebacker isn’t much on an impact on a defense.

Which is why is so hilarious we drafted two of them high in consecutive years.

very funny · extremely amusing · hysterically funny · hysterical · uproarious · riotous · farcical · sidesplitting · rib-tickling · too funny for words · humorous · entertaining · comic · chucklesome · killing · killingly funny...

Or as you aptly put it, a 'hilarious' overreaction!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think his evidence is pretty clear: not playing over Vallejo and walker. We can only guess at the reason, but that’s an indisputable fact at this juncture.
Actually, Collins played and Vallejo didn't this week, so there is that. Collins only subbed in for Hicks and Walker came in for four Goalline plays to be an extra LB. So the evidence is not complete and reinforces my opinion that Collins is shadowing Hicks and not in on sub packages for that reason.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yup. It's a comment on this season and his lack of snaps. While I think he's going to be a bust, I can't know that for certain, just as those who think they know for certain he'll come good can't know that for certain. I'm sticking to "Just the facts" here :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Actually, Collins played and Vallejo didn't this week, so there is that. Collins only subbed in for Hicks and Walker came in for four Goalline plays to be an extra LB. So the evidence is not complete and reinforces my opinion that Collins is shadowing Hicks and not in on sub packages for that reason.
Didn’t Vallejo not play due to injury? So that “evidence” has no merit. And if a player in their 12th week doesn’t have the capability to shadow a player and learn a handful of sub package plays that amounted to four snaps, that’s a concern. You can say it’s not. But it’s clearly a concern.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t Vallejo not play due to injury? So that “evidence” has no merit. And if a player in their 12th week doesn’t have the capability to shadow a player and learn a handful of sub package plays that amounted to four snaps, that’s a concern. You can say it’s not. But it’s clearly a concern.
I don't know if it's a concern, that my point. No one does! If he doesn't play 80% or more of the snaps week 1 next year, then I will be concerned. Until then, I'm not. Also, if Hicks wasn't playing at a high level, I would also be concerned. They drafted Collins to take over for Hicks and he has been subbing in for him.

Also, dumb question that I am genuinely asking. Only one player can communicate with coaches through their helmet, correct? If that is still the case, then that is Hicks and I would assume Collins when Hicks is out. Not sure if that plays into this at all.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. It's a comment on this season and his lack of snaps. While I think he's going to be a bust, I can't know that for certain, just as those who think they know for certain he'll come good can't know that for certain. I'm sticking to "Just the facts" here :)
I'll leave it with this. You've always been great at writing fiction and I wholeheartedly mean that. This is another example of that!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a concern, that my point. No one does! If he doesn't play 80% or more of the snaps week 1 next year, then I will be concerned. Until then, I'm not. Also, if Hicks wasn't playing at a high level, I would also be concerned. They drafted Collins to take over for Hicks and he has been subbing in for him.

Also, dumb question that I am genuinely asking. Only one player can communicate with coaches through their helmet, correct? If that is still the case, then that is Hicks and I would assume Collins when Hicks is out. Not sure if that plays into this at all.
Hmm I guess I just don’t see the difference between week 1 next year and week 13 this year. They are both well into his career and times by which many players (particularly 1st round picks) are significant contributors. Week 1 next year is an arbitrary decision date that’s founded more in humans’ bizarre desire for definitely determinable concepts (like making 1,000 yards, or age 50 birthday, special marks). What’s more relevant is at what point should a team expect a 1st rounder to be a significant contributor. It’s not only not unreasonable, but I would say it’s a high expectation for that mark to be after a significant amount of weeks in a rookie season otherwise it’s worthwhile to wonder why it’s not happening.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'll leave it with this. You've always been great at writing fiction and I wholeheartedly mean that. This is another example of that!
What’s the fiction? The fact that he’s not playing much? The fact that he’s playing less than JAGs? Those are facts. Everything else that’s been raised is conjecture.

Stout

Reaction score

Cardinals purposely avoiding 'sink or swim' philosophy with rookie LB Zaven Collins​

“Davis sees scaling back the work as a normal part of the development cycle rather than a setback in how Collins has progressed.”

Well, that's just a bull pucky statement right there. Scaling back the work isn't normal development, however you slice it. I don't disagree with benching a rookie who isn't getting it because the team is winning. Speaks even more to the lack of development, though. Were he getting better in practice as the season progressed, "normal development" would lead to more PT.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
“Davis sees scaling back the work as a normal part of the development cycle rather than a setback in how Collins has progressed.”

Well, that's just a bull pucky statement right there. Scaling back the work isn't normal development, however you slice it. I don't disagree with benching a rookie who isn't getting it because the team is winning. Speaks even more to the lack of development, though. Were he getting better in practice as the season progressed, "normal development" would lead to more PT.

The statement, in passing, is not from Davis but the writer who is summarizing. And I don't think it means scaling back all of the development work but rather his on-field presence on Sunday.

I'd like to see more of him, too, but leave it to the coaches to actually know when he's ready.

Stout

Reaction score
People want instant gratification.....What can you do?smh

LOL Really? Wanting your 1st-round pick to at least be a contributor year 1 in the modern NFL is instant gratification? I agree, what can you do with your post? smh

He’ll be just fine. The whiners on this board will eat crow AGAIN, and again, and again, and again.

Based on...? And, go ahead, insult me again for wanting at least a minimal contribution from our 1st round pick. Be more of a preschooler..

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LOL Really? Wanting your 1st-round pick to at least be a contributor year 1 in the modern NFL is instant gratification? I agree, what can you do with your post? smh

Based on...? And, go ahead, insult me again for wanting at least a minimal contribution from our 1st round pick. Be more of a preschooler..

Three phases to the game and he's playing on Special Team(s).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm comfortable with the team looking at Collins, thinking he is going to be great in the future, but knowing he will cost the team RIGHT NOW and playing veterans who won't make the mental mistakes.

This argument is hilarious. The team is 10-2 so I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt in their appraisal of the situation.

The darkside is always going to do this, always going to whine about any perceived issue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson