Small Gripe about the Defense

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I know this is relatively minor, but Ralph Brown has been pretty poor of late, I personally think he should be deactivated and have either Adams or Toler put into his place. They both posess more speed and better tackling ability which would upgrade the defense. BUT after watching McKenzie, McAlister, and Ty Law play last week it really makes me wonder why we didn't sign one of these guys to upgrade the secondary All three still have a something left and one of them (McKenzie) has been outstanding since being signed. I know Brown is familiar with the scheme and that those three players may have had binding factors swaying them away from comingto AZ but those guys are superior players at this point in their respective careers and certainly could help us in the near future.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I second that thought.

I really think it is time to give Toler some playing time. The guy has a lot of promise.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not relatively minor in my opinion. Ralph Brown's guy scored the game clinching TD. He was bad the rest of the game also.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate to pile on a so-called "character guy" who provides experience and stability to our nickel and dime packages, but I agree - "it's probably time."

I still can't get out of my mind the image of Brown not quite extending his arms far enough to break up the TD completion to Santonio Holmes. And he hasn't done anything since then to dispell the suspicion that he's too often a half-step late.

No doubt, playing a raw but athletic rookie like Toler is risky, but maybe we're at that point where the risk of not knowing what we'll get with Toler is less than knowing what we'll be getting with Ralph.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's a question of scheme. I think there's more pressure on the Cardinal CB's (whomever they happen to be) in the C-3 shell with no consistent pass rush. To manufacture pressure they're bringing more guys on the blitz, which puts even more pressure on the secondary.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
My only gripe about the defense is that it gave up that 89 yard game winning TD drive with 2:37 left in the Super Bowl, and that 99 yard game winning TD drive with 2:37 left against the Titans last week. Other than that, no gripes.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like Micheal Adams has jumped Toler and Brown on the depth chart. I never expected that guy to take a snap with the regular defense but I see him out there more than Brown or Toler.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're right C, Adams has seen a lot more action this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard