Slow & Steady 2 Year Plan

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monti must be taking another year to evaluate the roster and hire his own personnel people. Wasn't that the narrative for not spending last year?
No, the narrative was not spending money until they knew what they had long term with Kyler. We just as easily cut him like the Broncos did, ate all of that dead cap, and in prime position to take a QB.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monti must be taking another year to evaluate the roster and hire his own personnel people. Wasn't that the narrative for not spending last year?
We spent $139 million on 13 FAs this off season. That is ranked 7th. Last year we spend $71 million on a whopping 33 FAs. That's ranks 24th for 2023. That is quite the jump.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tops spenders last off season. Not a single playoff teams.

Last edited:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Daniel Jeremiah's latest Mock has the Cardinals trading with the Vikings:

The Cardinals end up with :

Arizona Cardinals

Jared Verse
Florida State · Edge · Senior
PROJECTED TRADE WITH MINNESOTA VIKINGS

The Cardinals trade back and still get an elite edge rusher in Verse.

Arizona Cardinals
(via CLE through HOU)

Brian Thomas Jr.

LSU · WR · Junior
PROJECTED TRADE WITH MINNESOTA VIKINGS

The Cardinals passed on a chance to pick a receiver at No. 4 in this scenario, but they still land a premier pass catcher after trading down.

Arizona Cardinals
(via HOU)

Byron Murphy II
Texas · DT · Junior
The Cardinals make the last of their three first-round picks in this projection and get the best interior pass rusher in the draft class. So, in this scenario, they wrap up Round 1 with arguably the best outside and inside pass rushers available and a receiver who offers as much upside as any pass catcher in this prospect crop.
I would love this draft.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Dallas Turner is gone by 11. I'd be amazed if he gets passed the Falcons at 8 as Edge is by far the weakest room on their roster.

If I thought Turner was there at 11 I'd be ok with trading with the Vikings. If we could come out of round 1 with Dallas Turner, Adonai Mitchell (who is well undervalued IMO) and one of Johnny Newton/JPJ/Barton/McKinstry that is 3 day 1 starters.

Adonai Mitchell is being undervalued. He's tall and fast, a less jacked up DK Metcalf but with a route tree. It's not crazy to think Mitchell will end up as good as the top 3.
Heck, I'd take it a step further and say AD Mitchell could end up being the best WR in this draft class. I'm not predicting he will be, I'm just saying I think his ceiling is that high. He is a big moment/big game player who has incredible hands.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Agree on almost everything Harry thanks again ..but where does Gaines fit on this roster going into 2024 season? I have to wonder if he has a chnce to fill that left guard spot later this upcoming season. Or was the suprising move to re-sign Wilkinson because Gaines' rehab hasnt been where the team would like it to be at this point
Don’t like him

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not even close. Rod Graves panicked when all of the players who they hoped to drop to them at #17 overall were all gone and selected a player who most had as a late 2nd early 3rd round pick in Calvin Pace. Graves then followed it up by selecting a WR at #18 who most thought would be a 2nd round pick in Johnson.

In DJ's mock, he has the Cardinals selecting the Best Edge and Best DT in the class as well as an elite prospect at WR.
I think it is ambitious to believe both Murphy and Thomas are available at those spots. And if they aren’t, the talent you have to pivot to is not great. Lots of risk trading down because of the lack of top end talent that isn’t a OT.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is the T Sizzle trade down all over again.
But it 'appears' better because we have a 3rd pick that doesn't come from the trade to round out the additions. Easy to be spun as getting well-rounded value.

I think it is ambitious to believe both Murphy and Thomas are available at those spots. And if they aren’t, the talent you have to pivot to is not great. Lots of risk trading down because of the lack of top end talent that isn’t a OT.
Agree

All told, pick the stud, and then with 27 see how the draft falls.

I don't want to waste capital in a draft to trade back up in a 'deep' draft. Defeats the purpose of adding the picks we did. We're in a position to capitalize, so capitalize.

We also have seven in the top 104 and simply need to make them count. I'm not interested in giving up a stud to get a couple more. Or to shift the mix down and then back up.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Interesting question for the board regarding the DJ mock.

Would you prefer Jared Verse at 11 or Byron Murphy? I ask because I feel that most posters on here had Murphy rated higher.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh and I just want to clarify I'm not moving down to 11 unless the Vikings throw in at least a 2025 1st as well. We are talking a Trey Lance type trade or no thank you.

No way I'm moving off of MHJr for anything less than:

#11, #23, 2025 1st, 2025 3rd

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We're really going to do this and trade down instead of taking one of the best WR prospects in years, won't we?