Simmons a bust?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Made the play of the game today when momentum had swung to Dallas. Not only did he pressure Dak, he never gave up on the play, punched the ball loose giving us the ball & allowing the points we needed to win. He does make mistakes yes, missed covering a TE today that burned him for a first down (Shultz) but he's far from a bust folks.

BigCardsFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Daryl Washington would have made the sack tbh

its just disappointing he has 4.3 speed but can't finish or erase plays

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not to mention he lead the team in tackles today with ten.

Nice bounce back game for him.

Meanwhile Jordan Hicks just one tackle
Playing with more speedy guys on the edge (Collins /gardeck/dimkuje) help us to contain, and Hicks plays 6/7 yards back weren't necessary
I hope the DC think about having 2 slow guys on the edge can't be an option in today nfl

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I’ll fan for him, not like he has easy assignments. This defense keeps him in flexible assignments and leaks all over, but seems to limit big plays and put players in position for turnovers.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He made one great play and about 20 bad ones.

I'm more concerned about the 20 bad ones.

Simmons is fine if you give him one job. Rush the passer, cover a TE etc

Anything that has an if/or component and he's poor.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Simmons is fine if you give him one job. Rush the passer, cover a TE etc

This is a reasonable take. And why VJ is a horrible coach for him. If VJ had any kind of defensive brain, he would unleash the kid in the pass rush on one play, and stick him like glue to a TE on another play. Do that, and, IMO, you have a pro bowler. But this is VJ, so...

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Yeah, in the last three games, just ten tackles total and no sacks for Hicks.

It's been a long season, but he's just 29, so hopefully he still has some gas left in the tank for the playoffs.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a reasonable take. And why VJ is a horrible coach for him. If VJ had any kind of defensive brain, he would unleash the kid in the pass rush on one play, and stick him like glue to a TE on another play. Do that, and, IMO, you have a pro bowler. But this is VJ, so...
When he blitzes him, send him straight through an A gap, nothing disrupts a play worse than someone coming right up the middle.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Simmons is fine if you give him one job. Rush the passer, cover a TE e

When that one play pretty much seals the game, you take it. You take the good with the bad because the good is really special.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Great play/effort on the Dak punch-out but otherwise somewhat of a tough day for Simmons. For a stretch there Moore seemed intent on going at him. I still have trouble knowing what he’ll be in 3 years while Collins is more projectable. I think the board is nearly unanimous on the opinion of Vance not being the best coach for him. I’ll settle for them replacing Billy Davis.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great play/effort on the Dak punch-out but otherwise somewhat of a tough day for Simmons. For a stretch there Moore seemed intent on going at him. I still have trouble knowing what he’ll be in 3 years while Collins is more projectable. I think the board is nearly unanimous on the opinion of Vance not being the best coach for him. I’ll settle for them replacing Billy Davis.
Good take Gator. Simmons can do many things. Stout is right about how VJ should use Simmons though, he says "blitz him on a play, then have him cover a TE the rest" sounds simple but it makes more sense than having him play 4 positions. As I've said many times about Simmons, you can't coach speed & he comes through that A gap like a lightning rod, VJ needs to use that blitz more often with Simmons.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me figure out why the organization loves Billy Davis so much. He maxed out at "slightly above average" a long time ago.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When that one play pretty much seals the game, you take it. You take the good with the bad because the good is really special.

I do take it. But, when the bad outweighs the good 20/1 there are going to be many more plays that cost us the game than win us one.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I do take it. But, when the bad outweighs the good 20/1 there are going to be many more plays that cost us the game than win us one.

Is it really 20/1? Dude led the team in tackles yesterday as well.

I see the bad plays as well - posted on that earlier today but I think your exaggerating.

Last edited:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Good take Gator. Simmons can do many things. Stout is right about how VJ should use Simmons though, he says "blitz him on a play, then have him cover a TE the rest" sounds simple but it makes more sense than having him play 4 positions. As I've said many times about Simmons, you can't coach speed & he comes through that A gap like a lightning rod, VJ needs to use that blitz more often with Simmons.
Because VJ plays a soft zone (prevent defense) and likes to rush 3, he can't just do that. Can't have one guy doing specific things in That kind of scheme.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because VJ plays a soft zone (prevent defense) and likes to rush 3, he can't just do that. Can't have one guy doing specific things in That kind of scheme.
All I know is Simmons comes through the A gap like he was shot out of a cannon & disrupts the play or gets the sack every time that blitz is called. VJ needs to vary away from his scheme sometimes for things that work, in the same way an OC needs to change things up. I'm not saying VJ hasn't made adjustments this year cause he has, especially after halftime.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with Simmons. He makes some mistakes but so does every NFL player. I’ll take guys with Simmons talent all day.
Anointed HOF er Micah Parsons was pretty much invisible yesterday and outplayed by the bust.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Thus not liking VJ's defense and lack of flexibility. Soft zone (shudder) and rushing 3 (shudder) are like freaking verboten swear words to me.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Dude led the team in tackles yesterday as well.
Meh... As an inside backer, I see that stat and say "Great Job D-Line!" Simmons was simply the fortunate recipient of a d-line that had a very, very good day.

Isaiah is such a talent... It's painful to see him look so lost so often. :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave