Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That was a hell of a fun couple days.

The East is REALLY balanced with title contenders in NJ, Philly, Milwaukee and Miami, each of which have two big superstars and then solid upstarts with the Bulls, Cavs Hawks (who have finally turned it around) and a young up and comer with Charlotte, who’s got exciting high fliers. Then there’s still the Celtics.
Crazy knowing that at least one of the big East teams will be eliminated in round 1.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe this is correct. The moves today are salary neutral. They still have money to make a move in the buyout market.

I've read Saric counts towards the 15 man roster by one media source even though the Suns were granted a Disabled Player Exception.

It's not especially clear when reading about the rules.

I do like Bembry who was waived by Nets.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still can’t believe they didn’t.. nah not gonna say it.. Welcome Torrey and Aaron.

Yeah, I was really looking forward to it, I figured we might at least see em in street clothes around the bench. I guess is they couldn't make it in time.

When Craig gets reintroduced its going to be loud.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was really looking forward to it, I figured we might at least see em in street clothes around the bench. I guess is they couldn't make it in time.

When Craig gets reintroduced its going to be loud.
It will be fitting that when the Suns take their Champagne Shower in the Locker Room at the end of the Finals, Torrey Craig will be right there with them to wrap up unfinished business as they celebrate the franchises first NBA Championship.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be fitting that when the Suns take their Champagne Shower in the Locker Room at the end of the Finals, Torrey Craig will be right there with them to wrap up unfinished business as they celebrate the franchises first NBA Championship.
It's tough for me to feel this confident. Right now I wouldn't put any team above us but I don't know if I will ever again be as confident about us winning it all as I was after game 2 of the finals last season.

We're as injury proof as we can hope to be but lose Paul or Booker and we're in trouble.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I look at the Suns roster I want it built for a championship and I think James Jones has done that providing everyone stays healthy.

However, when I look at individual games or series, I take nothing for granted.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i said in November, losing Craig was their biggest off-season mistake. i was wrong. Adding Elfrid Payton was. perhaps they''ll complete the second part of the fix soon.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i said in November, losing Craig was their biggest off-season mistake. i was wrong. Adding Elfrid Payton was. perhaps they''ll complete the second part of the fix soon.

I think Payton was lucky that when the trade deadline hit he was the only reserve guard on the roster and we playing a game with a lot of hype and hate. If Holliday was immediately available or if Payne and Shamet were healthy I think it is highly likely that Payton would have gotten the axe today instead of Nader.

Jonny1Suns

Reaction score
I think Payton was lucky that when the trade deadline hit he was the only reserve guard on the roster and we playing a game with a lot of hype and hate. If Holliday was immediately available or if Payne and Shamet were healthy I think it is highly likely that Payton would have gotten the axe today instead of Nader.

Agreed. Is there anyone in the buyout market that we think we might take a run at?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. Is there anyone in the buyout market that we think we might take a run at?

With us picking up Holliday... I don't know. I was assuming we'd pick up a backup guard on that market but with Holliday joining Payne, Paul and Payton, there certainly isn't a need there.

The only thing we could really use right now would be a combo guard, someone who can dribble and play the wing, if that type of player ends up available I would think we'd make a run, but it is hard to figure that type of player getting dumped.

Personally, I'd waive Payton for virtually any NBA level guard, but with the depth we have established at the position I don't see it happening.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goodbye by Stix. We will remember you fondly. Too bad it wasn't another place and another time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Torrey Craig.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also welcome Aaron Holiday.

Btw, can you guard your Jrue?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly. I don't think Milwaukee will be in the finals this year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or the Nets or the Sixers. I think Simmons will make a huge difference with the Nets. He is a distributor and one of the best and most versatile defenders in the league. He is also and excellent rebounder. Those are the things the Nets need. Harden was like superglue in the gears. Simmons will be like high quality synthetic oil.

And the Nets got Curry and Drummond too. And picks.

Think of it this way.

Kyrie--Steph
KD--KD
Simmons--Draymond

That combo works.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small ball lineups should always be an option. It's situational basketball.

I like the idea the Suns can throw a myriad of different lineups at another team if the circumstances dictate.
I am with Finito on this. Playing small ball with teams like Golden State is playing to their strengths not ours. I don't mind having an option but the second we play the way Golden State wants us to is the second we lose a series against them. Even in the Bucks game last night when we had two bigs on the floor, the coach called a time out because we were manhandling them down low. This team is built around having a big presence and we need to force teams to play to our lineup and not the other way around. Option? Sure but it's the last thing I want to see this team use. If we are playing small for any extended period of time? Something really wrong happened during that game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am with Finito on this. Playing small ball with teams like Golden State is playing to their strengths not ours. I don't mind having an option but the second we play the way Golden State wants us to is the second we lose a series against them. Even in the Bucks game last night when we had two bigs on the floor, the coach called a time out because we were manhandling them down low.

I was just talking to @Dback Jon about this and the Suns losses to the Hawks and Heat. As a change-up defense I think it's nice to be able to play small-ball lineups at times.

In the Suns losses to the Hawks and Heat, those teams shot from .500 from 3-point range in those games. There are some nights teams don't miss from three and and the Suns need to be able to play smaller, quicker lineups to get out on them.

It doesn't mean the Suns shouldn't be able to switch back and forth during the same game. After all the Suns want to go their strength which is size at center, defense and the mid-range shot. I wouldn't want to see a steady diet of small-ball but it has a time and place.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just talking to @Dback Jon about this and the Suns losses to the Hawks and Heat. As a change-up defense I think it's nice to be able to play small-ball lineups at times.

In the Suns losses to the Hawks and Heat, those teams shot from .500 from 3-point range in those games. There are some nights teams don't miss from three and and the Suns need to be able to play smaller, quicker lineups to get out on them.

It doesn't mean the Suns shouldn't be able to switch back and forth during the same game. After all the Suns want to go their strength which is size at center, defense and the mid-range shot. I wouldn't want to see a steady diet of small-ball but it has a time and place.
In the Hawks game the Suns dominated the paint but were still outrebounded by 2. If you play small ball, the Suns on the other end don't dominate the paint, don't get as many easy buckets and likely get outrebounded by a wider margin giving up more second chance points. That game wasn't lost because they didn't roll out small ball. That game was lost because they chucked up 32 threes and made only 9. In the Heat game they gave up a ton of second chance points and the Heat dominated them on the boards. Again, that would have been worse playing more small ball. IMO, NOT playing small ball had nothing to do with those losses. IMO the only time I like to see small ball is to spark an offensive run.....never to spark defense.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Curious who you all think will be better post trade: Sixers or Nets.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Hawks game the Suns dominated the paint but were still outrebounded by 2. If you play small ball, the Suns on the other end don't dominate the paint, don't get as many easy buckets and likely get outrebounded by a wider margin giving up more second chance points. That game wasn't lost because they didn't roll out small ball. That game was lost because they chucked up 32 threes and made only 9. In the Heat game they gave up a ton of second chance points and the Heat dominated them on the boards. Again, that would have been worse playing more small ball. IMO, NOT playing small ball had nothing to do with those losses. IMO the only time I like to see small ball is to spark an offensive run.....never to spark defense.

There is a time and place for everything. No one is saying the Suns shouldn't play big most of the time.

However, there is no reason the Suns can't occasionally go small when it's to their advantage in a particular game.

Small ball can spark both offense and defense. It's a situational weapon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson