Shrek 2

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The movie was fun and the jokes were clever... I didn't like the CGI as much as a lot of Pixar's stuff, but it was a good diversion. I just hope they produce a sequel like Toy Story 2 and not like Secret of Nihm 2. :)

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
The movie was fun and the jokes were clever... I didn't like the CGI as much as a lot of Pixar's stuff, but it was a good diversion. I just hope they produce a sequel like Toy Story 2 and not like Secret of Nihm 2. :)

Cool, I think that's only the 10th time I've heard you say you didn't like the CGI in Shrek...lol

:)

Can you really tell?

:D

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Cool, I think that's only the 10th time I've heard you say you didn't like the CGI in Shrek...lol

:)

Mike

Yes, but I haven't said it in a LOOONG time... :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
If only that could have lasted a little longer....

:D

Mike

Yeah, like the length of time between posts written by Chandler Mike... :D

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Yeah, like the length of time between posts written by Chandler Mike... :D

Yeah, today I've had a little problem with that :)

Mike

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It started a little slow but the last hour was fantastic

Puss in Boots steals the show.

I will definitely see it again. I would rate it...worth full price.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
It started a little slow but the last hour was fantastic

Puss in Boots steals the show.

I will definitely see it again. I would rate it...worth full price.

Saw it twice with my little girl. Its better than the first one IMO.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funniest movie I've seen in a long time, and I might agree on it being better than the first one.

The whole "Pinocchio tell a lie" bit was slapstick funny...

Mike

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it, but the entire beginning, while funny at moments, went way too thick on the sap. Once the movie really got going, though, it was almost non-stop laughs. Puss-in-boots was incredible.

***spoiler***

Watched this a second time tonight, and boy, there were a TON of references with the king and frogs...hard to have missed the first time, but my friends missed them all tonight, and this was their first viewing. Damn fine movie.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Shrek 2 Earns Record Green at the Box Office Source: Coming Soon!
Monday, May 24, 2004

The Coming Soon! Box Office Report has been updated with the studio estimates for this weekend. Be sure to stay tuned there for the final figures on Monday afternoon.

DreamWorks' Shrek 2 earned an amazing $125.3 milllion in its first five days at the box office. The $70 million-budgeted animated sequel collected an estimated $104.3 million from Friday-to-Sunday, making it the second-best opener behind Spider-Man, which kicked off its run with $114.8 million in May, 2002. It has become the biggest-opening for an animated film in history, surpassing Finding Nemo's $70 million bow a year ago. The sequel opened in a record 4,163 theaters and its $44.8 million Saturday haul is the best for a single day, beating Spider-Man's first Saturday of $43.6 million. It's the second-best opening of a film for the month of May and is the best debut so far this year, ahead of The Passion of The Christ, which opened to $89.3 million in February. In comparison, the first film made $42.4 million its first weekend on its way to earn $267.7 million domestically. The studio says that they are definitely thinking about producing a third film now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the whole movie was as clever as the last half-hour I would say that this movie was great - unfortunately - I thought it just moved too slow at the beginning and really didn't have much of a comic punch until that last half-hour - but as far as most comedies go - or most movies anyways - if you can actually get a great anything - whether it be full length, ten minutes or half-hour that's an accomplishment in today's cinema - I thought the HUGE Gingerbread man was freaking hilarious - reminded me of a combo of the Stay -Puft Marshamellow Man and Mongo from Blazing Saddles.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Great movie!!!

******SPOILERS*******************************

Is it just me, or were there a lot of Lord of the Rings refrences.

One I wasn't sure about:

The part when Puss In Boots jumps back and tells Shrek and Donkey to keep going. Then Puss in Boots turns around and there come the footsoldiers.

Was that supposed to be similar to the part when Gandalf stayed back to fight the Balrog or the part where Boromir and Aragon fought the orcs and told the hobbits to run away.

Last edited:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
Great movie!!!

******SPOILERS*******************************

Is it just me, or were there a lot of Lord of the Rings refrences.

One I wasn't sure about:

The part when Puss In Boots jumps back and tells Shrek and Donkey to keep going. Then Puss in Boots turns around and there come the footsoldiers.

Was that supposed to be similar to the part when Gandalf stayed back to fight the Balrog or the part where Boromir and Aragon fought the orcs and told the hobbits to run away.

I don't think it had anything to do with Lord of the Rings...that scene at least.

There were only a few references that I saw...the ring at the beginning, and the Ents in the bar.

Mike

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I don't think it had anything to do with Lord of the Rings...that scene at least.

There were only a few references that I saw...the ring at the beginning, and the Ents in the bar.

Mike

thanks.

Anyways, it was a great moview.

Loved all the refrences to Starbucks and Burger King, etc...

Hilarious movie!

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:

Mike

I thought the bar scene was an homage to Star Wars.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Day After Tomorrow made over 80 million at the box office this weekend.

The only thing is, Shrek 2 made 92 million, breaking the record for most money made in a film's second week in release.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Shrek 3 Coming Holiday 2006 Source: Variety
Wednesday, June 2, 2004

With Shrek 2 having earned $260.3 million at the domestic box office in just 13 days, DreamWorks is scrambling to get Shrek 3 on a faster track, reports Variety. The studio has hired Peter Seaman and Jeffrey Price - who together wrote How the Grinch Stole Christmas - to pen the next installment in the franchise. Jon Zack is onboard as a consultant.

Additional writers, including those from the first films, may be brought on in coming months to polish the script. (The first two "Shrek" movies were each worked on by almost half a dozen writers.) Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy are expected to return to voice the three leads.

As early as January - four months before the release of Shrek 2 - DreamWorks was quietly mobilizing the development of Shrek 3, in which Shrek will contend with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. The studio is targeting a holiday 2006 release.

http://www.comingsoon.net/forums/

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Shrek 2 question (spoiler)

Toward the end, with the big gingerbread man and the guy riding his shoulder calling him "Mongo" all the time, is that spoofing something in particular?

Thanks!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Toward the end, with the big gingerbread man and the guy riding his shoulder calling him "Mongo" all the time, is that spoofing something in particular?

Thanks!

Blazing Saddles?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort