Should Gannon be one and done…

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JMO, but if Kyler recovers, I can see us being one offseason (Draft/FA) away from being a pretty good team. As for Gannon, while it's still early, he seems to be doing pretty well. I base that on his press conferences and not many stories coming out that the players don't like him. And I think we all realize that this will be a tough year, with how he handles adversity a good measuring stick.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
JMO, but if Kyler recovers, I can see us being one offseason (Draft/FA) away from being a pretty good team. As for Gannon, while it's still early, he seems to be doing pretty well. I base that on his press conferences and not many stories coming out that the players don't like him. And I think we all realize that this will be a tough year, with how he handles adversity a good measuring stick.
I disagree, although this will help immensely. We should've been one offseason away, though.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol..LOL!!! Like Bidwill is going to pay 3 coaching staffs.
If Gannon is fired after one year Bidwill himself be the next head coach.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Bobby Petrino quitting on the Falcons before the end of his first season has to be up there
Classic!

Petrino also coached the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League (NFL) for the first 13 games of the 2007 season. Petrino was in a Falcons team meeting when he told his staffers that he was hungry and left to get something to eat. Hours later, he still hadn’t returned. Staffers were extremely worried but then a staffer broke the news that he was being introduced as the new Head Coach of Arkansas on TV. While they thought he was out getting lunch, he was actually on a plane to Fayetteville.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Classic!

Petrino also coached the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League (NFL) for the first 13 games of the 2007 season. Petrino was in a Falcons team meeting when he told his staffers that he was hungry and left to get something to eat. Hours later, he still hadn’t returned. Staffers were extremely worried but then a staffer broke the news that he was being introduced as the new Head Coach of Arkansas on TV. While they thought he was out getting lunch, he was actually on a plane to Fayetteville.
Brought Gannon into the NFL

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They're going from an Instagram model to a football guy as HC. If that isn't progress, I don't know what is.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
If he has a Wilkes like year...then yes he should get fired. That was the WORST display of football I have ever seen during the Wilkes year...it was hard to even watch.

Now...Gannon will not get fired this year. We are currently paying 3 coaches and 2 GM's. Gannon was only hired because no credible coach with any sort of reputation to uphold wanted this job. Gannon was thrilled to get this job, because he was a very overrated DC who just cost his team the SuperBowl...and he might have gotten fired in Philly...let along promoted.

Gannon will get 3 years. He will win about 25% of this games if hes lucky. Hes not a very good coach.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If he has a Wilkes like year...then yes he should get fired. That was the WORST display of football I have ever seen during the Wilkes year...it was hard to even watch.

Now...Gannon will not get fired this year. We are currently paying 3 coaches and 2 GM's. Gannon was only hired because no credible coach with any sort of reputation to uphold wanted this job. Gannon was thrilled to get this job, because he was a very overrated DC who just cost his team the SuperBowl...and he might have gotten fired in Philly...let along promoted.

Gannon will get 3 years. He will win about 25% of this games if hes lucky. Hes not a very good coach.
Here's the difference, though...Wilks had a Wilks year mainly due to being a bad coach. If Gannon has a Wilks year, I think it will be more due to the lack of overall talent on the roster, as it sits today. As long as Gannon has them playing like a team, even though woefully outmatched, I won't have many issues with the record at the end of the year.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Wilks was fired because he sucked.

Not the results, he just sucked as a coach. Dude was a walking cliche. It felt like he read "How to be a head coach for dummies".
Agree 100%.
I said at the time, we hired coach Boone from Remember The Titans with all the cliches he used.

Plus, Wilkes was gone because Bidwill/Keim thought they had to get the “offensive” genius in KK. And that was a total disaster too.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Here's the difference, though...Wilks had a Wilks year mainly due to being a bad coach. If Gannon has a Wilks year, I think it will be more due to the lack of overall talent on the roster, as it sits today. As long as Gannon has them playing like a team, even though woefully outmatched, I won't have many issues with the record at the end of the year.

Of course you do. What does "playing like a team" look like in the context of a 4-13 season?

Wilks' roster was pretty bad. Sam Bradford was bad; Josh Rosen was bad. David Johnson was washed. He still underperformed the talent level, though.

Agree 100%.
I said at the time, we hired coach Boone from Remember The Titans with all the cliches he used.

Plus, Wilkes was gone because Bidwill/Keim thought they had to get the “offensive” genius in KK. And that was a total disaster too.

KK wasn't a "total disaster." It ended in one, though.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Of course you do. What does "playing like a team" look like in the context of a 4-13 season?

Wilks' roster was pretty bad. Sam Bradford was bad; Josh Rosen was bad. David Johnson was washed. He still underperformed the talent level, though.

KK wasn't a "total disaster." It ended in one, though.
They're all terrible together?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
What does "playing like a team" look like in the context of a 4-13 season?
that will be a tough one

maybe top half of the league in avoiding penalties?

its hard because overmatched players tend to commit penalties (the OT holding a pass rusher or a CB beat by a WR) -- and i think there will be a lot of that next season

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You might be right about him failing but not about the Eagles firing him. They tried to offer him head coaching money to stay. The fans might have wanted him gone, but Howie Roseman and Nick Sirianni did not. I think the soft zone/no blitz defense Gannon ran with the Eagles will always be unpopular with fans, no matter how effective it is. Here's Sirianni defending Gannon back in January.

Sirianni basically says that Gannon's soft zone was the type of defense he asked him to run.

“When you're kind of getting on Gannon about the completions or something like that, I want you to get on me, it’s what I want you to do, too,” Sirianni told Cataldi. “My whole thing that I preach here is about winning the double positive. And what does that mean? Winning the turnover battle while also winning the explosive play battle."

But that is besides the point. Gannon is no longer a coordinator. What matters now is that he's smart, organized, and can motivate his players to play their best.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
If this guy wins 6 games he should be in consideration for coach of the year. He has zero expectations. All he needs to do is develop some young players and be competitive at the end of the year. As long as the team doesn't quit on him he is guaranteed a 2nd year.

If the team goes 4-13 or worse next year then 2024 will be a must win. You can't go 10-24 or worse and keep a locker room.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In 4 years, KK teams lost be 20 points 7 times. Wilks had 5 such loses in one year, 4 more by double digits.

KK couldn't adjust, and sucked at game management. He'd have a plan, the plan would be okay, the opposition would react and beat us, but at least we were prepared to play most games.

Wilks on the other hand... he seemingly never had a functional game plan and the team simply rolled over and died most weeks.

I think we're going to be horrible next season, very very likely to be a bottom 3 team, but as long as the team isn't flat out quitting week after week, there is no chance Gannon gets fired, even if we're winless.

It also has to be pointed out that we've only got 2 high end players that are healthy and both are demanding to be traded. Wilks had a roster with far far more talent than this team will possess.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
1. It's Wilks. Not Wilkes, not Wilk's, just Wilks. Possessive would be Wilks'. :computer:

2. I'd have to go back and look at the numbers, but as I recall, there was a differential of a whopping nine-twelve points total that would have taken the guy from 3-13 to 7-9. I believe two of those included significant missed field goals, and the ball was in the hands of the QB at least once with a chance to win the game.

3. Don't get me wrong, Wilks didn't really warrant more time here, but he was handed a bag of crap when the team's expectations had been higher after years of Arians. Gannon is inheriting nothing. He and Monti Ossenfort are tasked with tearing this franchise down and rebuilding it, even so far as to dig up the foundation.

If we fire Gannon after this season with two first round picks on the horizon, and a roster bereft of talent, the only coaches willing to come here will have local high school coaching on their resume at best.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose