Shane Ray will drop

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
if he is going to drop that badly....go ahead and give Minne our first for AP and the #45 pick...then pick Ray at 45

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm betting both are gone before the Cards select. The game is changing and so is society.

Maybe but these guys will be in the NFL program before they even play in their first game. After DWash thats a lot of risk to tie up in a top draft pick.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite the overreaction don't you think. He wasn't impaired and it was a small amount. College kids smoke pot.

He's not in college anymore and preparing for the biggest day and payday of his life... He's an idiot just like everyone before him... And I would bye willing to wager that if you could put a % on it far less in college smoke pot then do... Youre making excuse for him... Did he ever attend Ohio state?? :) :)

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how many players test positive for marijuana at the combine. I know it was a lot more than I would have thought. Teams aren't downgrading players that much for it anymore.

I call BS... They would all be released in the media just like the kid from Nebraska... Why would "so many" be secret but his results released for the world to know??

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I call BS... They would all be released in the media just like the kid from Nebraska... Why would "so many" be secret but his results released for the world to know??
Because the media only wants to know about 1st round draft picks. Do you really think they care about 3rd and 4th round picks?

I know one team that drafted 3 guys last year that tested positive and I bet you couldn't name 1 of them with any certainty.

I also know a high % of FSU players were positive at last year's combine. In fact, I was told there was a record number of positive tests.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are trying to throw him under the bus for something that is more accepted across our society all the time. Ten years from now, this story probably won't even exist and it will have zero impact on draft-ability whether a guy smokes a little or not.

Personally, in the second-round he's a "no brainer" in my eyes. First? No. Because I think teams are too scared to draft him in the first.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Dude had it on him days before the biggest day of his life? That's a different kind of stupid right there. Cost himself some dough for sure.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're telling me it's so rampant in college right now and professing that they're all doing it? Yet only one potential first rounder of what almost 40 to 50 possibles depending on who you ask got nabbed for a positive test?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
So you're telling me it's so rampant in college right now and professing that they're all doing it? Yet only one potential first rounder of what almost 40 to 50 possibles depending on who you ask got nabbed for a positive test?
Find where I said they're all doing it. I said last year there were a record number of positive tests and a high % of FSU players were positive.

The results are supposed to be kept confidential but some leak out and some don't. Jaelen Collins from LSU supposedly tested positive as well. I know of at least 2 more that tested positive that I have asked about but I am not about to put their names out there. I guarantee there are more. I'm not saying there's 50%, probably not even close to that, but there's more than you think. If I had to guess, I'd say between 10-20%. With the 2 confirmed and the 2 I know of, that's 12.5% right there. Throw in the Shane Ray news and you're already up to 16% with some kind of pot issue.

The media focusses on high profile guys. It's the same reason why you know what Jameis Winston scored on his Wonderlic test but probably don't know what Shane Carden scored.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane Ray issues apology, says “no excuses” for drug charge

I’d like to apologize to my Mother, Fans and prospective NFL teams for my poor judgement Monday morning,” Ray said in a statement, via Adam Schefter of ESPN.com. “I am embarrassed and realize there are consequences for my actions. I was not under the influence nor impaired, therefore I was not detained. Fortunately, Mondays incident only resulted in a citation.

“I will make better choices in the future. It is imperative that I continue to strive to better myself. My future NFL career has been something I have always dreamed about and is very important to me. I commit that my actions will represent that. There are no excuses here and I will take the necessary steps to ensure this will not happen again. I will not jeopardize my ability to have a positive impact on and off the field moving forward.”
Link

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Quite the overreaction don't you think. He wasn't impaired and it was a small amount. College kids smoke pot.

I think that you now have an accumulation of red flags which will cause him to drop. I am now officially on the Shane Ray will be a bust bus. Size, athleticism, medical, and drug program concerns. That isn't even getting to football intelligence or desire. I know you aren't, but I am out on Shane Ray.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How on earth is a kid not smart enough to just stay away from weed for at least a few weeks when he knows the draft is near? Just mindbogglingly.

Keim called him and told him to buy an ounce and go speeding on the highway so he can fall to us in the draft

If its mexican dirt weed, its a small amount. If its high end chronic, an ounce is quite a bit to be driving around with. I guess if you just bought it it would make sense.

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Linebacker is a very instinctive position,...you have to be fully relaxed and at one with the game...ya gotta have your zen man....all the great ones do............[/QUOTE

I like your view on LBs. They are the QB of the defense and must know what everyone is doing. They are smaller than the guys they are asked to weed through(DT and OL) and that takes a toll physically. I don't know if they smoke more or less than other positions(I doubt it). Generally, LBs are high intensity and that can lead to all sorts of crazy behavior. Also, most LBs have a bit of the little man syndrome...DTs and OL/TE are usually 40-50lbs. heavier.

Kids smoke pot...hmmmm...all ages smoke pot. More kids get caught or are less responsible with their image.

I have a business and we sell glass. The oddest day was the day my sons pediatrician but a couple of pieces...I was actually relieved(better than whiskey or pills) and had always wondered why he was so relaxed at visits.

POINT: A lot of people smoke pot...let it go and change with the course of the river.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a ridiculous statement...err...stereotype. SMH.

is it though?

Is it ridiculous to say college kids drink?

How about to say they have sex?

Daily marijuana use among college students is the highest it's been in more than three decades, and 51 percent of all full-time college students have admitted to smoking pot at some point in their lives.
Key word - Admitted.
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3167683 (somehow i used asfn link instead of website link for the rest of the study, whoops)

You must be registered for see images

The study found in 2013, almost 36 percent of college students said they used marijuana in the past year, compared with 30 percent in 2006. The study found that overall, 39 percent of college students used illicit drugs in 2013, up from 34 percent in 2006.
http://www.drugfree.org/join-togeth...rate-among-college-students-since-1981-study/

:shrug:

Shrugging off marijuana use in college is natural for two reasons:

1) it is common and is the age/time of experimentation for a majority of youth.
2) It's not a big deal, its pot. Most people would prefer them getting high at home vs going to Cadillac ranch, getting hammered and drowning in tempe town lake.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it though?

Yes.

Without any qualifier (some, most, a certain percentage, etc) you are implying ALL college kids do these things.

Not ALL college kids do, so that statement is also ridiculous.

It is clearly a stereotype. Like saying "Football players are stupid."

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Without any qualifier (some, most, a certain percentage, etc) you are implying ALL college kids do these things.

Not ALL college kids do, so that statement is also ridiculous.

It is clearly a stereotype. Like saying "Football players are stupid."

I didn't see anyone say they all do, I doubt anyone feels that every single college kid smokes pot.

But if one does, it is no surprise.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it though?

How about to say they have sex?

Key word - Admitted.
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3167683 (somehow i used asfn link instead of website link for the rest of the study, whoops)

You must be registered for see images

http://www.drugfree.org/join-togeth...rate-among-college-students-since-1981-study/

Shrugging off marijuana use in college is natural for two reasons:

1) it is common and is the age/time of experimentation for a majority of youth.
2) It's not a big deal, its pot. Most people would prefer them getting high at home vs going to Cadillac ranch, getting hammered and drowning in tempe town lake.

I agree with all that, but he is essentialy in a few month long job interview that will culminate with him being drafted.

If you show up for a job interview at a regular job, and get busted for possession they're not going to hire you. If you test positive on their drug test many companies will not hire you, even for pot.

So while yes what he's doing is common among college kids, he made a huge mistake that will cost him money. Hopefully he learns from it, but every year several kids do something like this, never ceases to amaze me they can't stay clean long enough to get drafted high, and then go get high.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anyone say they all do, I doubt anyone feels that every single college kid smokes pot.

But if one does, it is no surprise.

Without a qualifier, "all" is implied and it becomes a stereotype or a generalization.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen