Shane Ray will drop

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
From Missouri St. Highway Patrol: Shane Ray issued a warning for speeding, a lane violation & citation for 35 grams of pot (misdemeanor)

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A very knowledgeable guy on the Giants' site said this today before the marijuana report came out:

Shane Ray - DE/Missouri

I think there were a few reasons why Ray was kind of left out among the top defensive names in the draft. Size? Strength? Scheme-fits? Now we are looking at foot injury that could put him on the shelf for a few months? All it takes is something small like this to send a player that already had some questions to plummet on draft day. There is a legit shot he drops out of the 1st round.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Cards would now pass on him. Having possession of marijuana the week of the NFL draft really makes you wonder about this guy's intelligence.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
How on earth is a kid not smart enough to just stay away from weed for at least a few weeks when he knows the draft is near? Just mindbogglingly.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wanted the 49ers to draft him if he fell because of the injury but now, way too risky to pick him with a second round pick.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

Also, according to info from 5 NFL teams, Shane Ray failed a drug test early on in his career at Missouri. That comes back to haunt him now.

Clubs were willing to overlook Ray's failed drug test after getting to know him the last couple months. This AM's incident changes things.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite the overreaction don't you think. He wasn't impaired and it was a small amount. College kids smoke pot.

I agree. But, it will hurt him for sure. He really didn't need something like this after his foot issue came out.

I'm so desperate for a top pass rusher for this team, I would still consider him in the second round.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Quite the overreaction don't you think. He wasn't impaired and it was a small amount. College kids smoke pot.

I don't think its an overreaction. He's already got 2 (dope & foot) potential red flags against him. He supposedly failed a drug test at Mizzou as well early on.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Its nothing if he wasn't going to be drafted in a few days to the NFL that looks down on carrying/smoking just a flake of weed. That's what I just don't get. Why wouldn't they take some effort and stay away from it for a little while.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I'm betting both are gone before the Cards select. The game is changing and so is society.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how many players test positive for marijuana at the combine. I know it was a lot more than I would have thought. Teams aren't downgrading players that much for it anymore.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how many players test positive for marijuana at the combine. I know it was a lot more than I would have thought. Teams aren't downgrading players that much for it anymore.

Sad, but I'm sure you're right.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm thinking to many fans are passing out to many White (good-guy) Hats to these NFL Front Office Personnel . This is a brutal business where Talent Trumps most anything else (Greg Hardy -- Cowboys) . I don't expect DGB ---- Gregory ----- Ray , to be there at 24 . How many remember how the 49'ers picked up the option on Aldon Smith after he got into several bad pub. situations ???

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
was only an ounce and a quarter of weed...not a huge amount...weeks worth or so.... what I wonder....is he an NFL employee right now?? do they have the right or inclination to pop a semi random test on him now?? will they try and discipline him based on this civilian bust?....basically...does this add another strike in the drug program...since he is not an NFL employee nor at an nfl sponsored function when the offense occurred??

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard