Shane Ray will drop

Reaction score
Keim called him and told him to buy an ounce and go speeding on the highway so he can fall to us in the draft

If its mexican dirt weed, its a small amount. If its high end chronic, an ounce is quite a bit to be driving around with. I guess if you just bought it it would make sense.

It could have been an 1/8th or less. We don't know. It could have just been a gram or a roach. No big deal to me if he has the talent.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with all that, but he is essentialy in a few month long job interview that will culminate with him being drafted.

If you show up for a job interview at a regular job, and get busted for possession they're not going to hire you. If you test positive on their drug test many companies will not hire you, even for pot.

So while yes what he's doing is common among college kids, he made a huge mistake that will cost him money. Hopefully he learns from it, but every year several kids do something like this, never ceases to amaze me they can't stay clean long enough to get drafted high, and then go get high.

I agree, pretty stupid of him, not arguing that part at all

It could have been an 1/8th or less. We don't know. It could have just been a gram or a roach. No big deal to me if he has the talent.

35 grams is what he had so just over an ounce. thats why I said if its dirt weed it isnt a lot but if its chronic it is a hefty amount ;)

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree, pretty stupid of him, not arguing that part at all

35 grams is what he had so just over an ounce. thats why I said if its dirt weed it isnt a lot but if its chronic it is a hefty amount ;)

I was under the impression that the law in Missouri is a misdemeanor if you possess less than 35g. I don't think that's the amount he had - just the category of possession that it fell under.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the law in Missouri is a misdemeanor if you possess less than 35g. I don't think that's the amount he had - just the category of possession that it fell under.

my bad, i just saw the 35 grams when skim reading:

Ray was cited for possession of 35 grams or less of marijuana, a misdemeanor

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Quite the overreaction don't you think. He wasn't impaired and it was a small amount. College kids smoke pot.

Not an overreaction at all.

The kid was already up against the 8 ball for several things, and now a few days before the draft he sends the cue ball right into the pocket.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not an overreaction at all.

The kid was already up against the 8 ball for several things, and now a few days before the draft he sends the cue ball right into the pocket.

but he didn't have a cue ball or an 8 ball......it was just weed....................

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
but he didn't have a cue ball or an 8 ball......it was just weed....................

Derp.

If it was bubble gum the league had on it's banned substances, It doesn't mean I'd agree with it, but it does mean I could stay the hell away from bubble gum, at the very least until my contract was signed.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's being estimated at being a $5 million dollar loss from where he was going to be drafted to where he now is going to be drafted.

Dion Jordan suspended the entire season for substance abuse
D. Wash....same prob

some never learn

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Derp.

If it was bubble gum the league had on it's banned substances, It doesn't mean I'd agree with it, but it does mean I could stay the hell away from bubble gum, at the very least until my contract was signed.

oh I agree...these ********* today show not only their innate idiocy but a total lack of personal responsibility by their actions.

If the world was anything near right... guys like this would be banned from the draft, and from the league as well for a number of years.....maybe 2...3 seasons or so. He is applying for one of the highest paying jobs not just in the country, but on the planet.
but the world aint nuthin near right,...the NFL is all about money and in the end, after all the posturing and tough stances....they do not give a flyin ****...because talent makes games exciting, and exciting games sell tickets, as well as merchandise......it is all about that dollar...
maybe they should set up a system where each "Incident" before the draft automatically bans you from one round....so, first offense, you cant be drafted till the 2nd rd....second offense, you cant be drafted till the 3rd rd...etc... Make the term start, opening kickoff of the college football season of that year...that way if a underclassman screws up and gets in trouble...he can stay in school another year and reset his clock

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I didn't see anyone say they all do, I doubt anyone feels that every single college kid smokes pot.

But if one does, it is no surprise.

:shrug:
I think it's pretty clear that I meant every college kid in America, and Europe for that matter, smokes pot.

High school kids smoke pot too..........And, yes, I meant every one of them.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Back to Shane Ray, by all accounts he's a good kid that made a bad decision. That happens. He'll drop in the draft but he's definitely worth the 24th pick. Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, and Justin Houston all dropped for testing positive and I think we'd all have been happy to have them playing for the Cards.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear that I meant every college kid in America, and Europe for that matter, smokes pot.

High school kids smoke pot too..........And, yes, I meant every one of them.

Thanks for clarifying. :thumbup:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Back to Shane Ray, by all accounts he's a good kid that made a bad decision. That happens. He'll drop in the draft but he's definitely worth the 24th pick. Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, and Justin Houston all dropped for testing positive and I think we'd all have been happy to have them playing for the Cards.

He tested positive before while he was at Missouri, so let's not try and make this seem like a one time thing. He has made multiple bad decisions. That being said, he isn't the only young college person to do so. My issue is the accumulation of question marks. It isn't just one red flag anymore. He has size issues as a 3-4 OLB/DE. He has average athleticism for his size. He has a history of drug use. He has shown poor judgement using prior to the draft. He has a lack of multiple pass rush moves. It isn't that college players don't have some of these issues and develop, it is just that he has all of them.

That is my concern.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Bill Polian had some interesting takes on Ray this afternoon. Prior to this weed being found in his car, Ray was Polians "sure fire hit" in the draft. He compared him to Robert Mathis.

He then thought his being stopped could be a good thing in the long run. This will put him in the program and give him structure and counseling/testing from day 1. He thinks he's a very good kid that just made a knucklehead decision that is going to cost him millions of dollars. He still think Ray goes in round 1.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
He tested positive before while he was at Missouri, so let's not try and make this seem like a one time thing. He has made multiple bad decisions. That being said, he isn't the only young college person to do so. My issue is the accumulation of question marks. It isn't just one red flag anymore. He has size issues as a 3-4 OLB/DE. He has average athleticism for his size. He has a history of drug use. He has shown poor judgement using prior to the draft. He has a lack of multiple pass rush moves. It isn't that college players don't have some of these issues and develop, it is just that he has all of them.

That is my concern.
:thumbup:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Bill Polian had some interesting takes on Ray this afternoon. Prior to this weed being found in his car, Ray was Polians "sure fire hit" in the draft. He compared him to Robert Mathis.

He then thought his being stopped could be a good thing in the long run. This will put him in the program and give him structure and counseling/testing from day 1. He thinks he's a very good kid that just made a knucklehead decision that is going to cost him millions of dollars. He still think Ray goes in round 1.
I get that & understand, but Polians also playing fantasty football GM on TV as well. I'd bet he wouldn't touch in Rd 1 given what he says on a regular basis about players with red flags. Imo there's a big differance in those 2 scenarios in the real world.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I get that & understand, but Polians also playing fantasty football GM on TV as well. I'd bet he wouldn't touch in Rd 1 given what he says on a regular basis about players with red flags. Imo there's a big differance in those 2 scenarios in the real world.
I don't know. He seems to be a pretty straight shooter. He said he wouldn't draft Gregory.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ok, so I am going to hedge a bit on Ray. If he loves the game, he can be successful in the NFL. I have been really looking into his skillset, and while I believe he has athleticism closer to Acho than Von Miller, I think he can be a productive edge player if he loves football. If not, he will be Wendall Bryant.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok, so I am going to hedge a bit on Ray. If he loves the game, he can be successful in the NFL. I have been really looking into his skillset, and while I believe he has athleticism closer to Acho than Von Miller, I think he can be a productive edge player if he loves football. If not, he will be Wendall Bryant.

i m curious,the question about athleticism coming from combine-pro day,
but acho at combine ran 4.66 and had the best 3 cone drill time among defensive lineman.workout-field not nicely comparison
if i watch ray on tape,he has a great burst ,maybe better then other de-olb(40 time 4.64,not bad)
i think he just didnt train specifically to be a workout warrior

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
i m curious,the question about athleticism coming from combine-pro day,
but acho at combine ran 4.66 and had the best 3 cone drill time among defensive lineman.workout-field not nicely comparison
if i watch ray on tape,he has a great burst ,maybe better then other de-olb(40 time 4.64,not bad)
i think he just didnt train specifically to be a workout warrior

So, you don't believe his agent trained him to do his absolute best at the drills he knew he would be doing? Really?

In terms of his burst, he has great burst. What Ray doesn't have is the ability to accelerate in his rush arc after contact. That being said, only the top pass rushers do have this trait. Beasley and Gregory are the only ones that I have seen in this class that have it. What I believe seperates Ray from Fowler is that Fowler shows more versatility and pollish in his pass rush moves than Ray. Fowler also carries more weight. However, Ray can develop these things if he is commited to working on his game which is why I said that he will stick if he loves football. He can develop into a Robert Mathis type player, but I don't believe he will have much impact in 2015 because his ability to progress will be severely limited by his foot injury.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen