Shadow and Bone (Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Ouchie-Z-Clown, Apr 25, 2021.

1. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Didactic

Don't worry, I've turned in my man-card for this: I enjoyed the Twilight books. My wife got me into them. :mulli:

And yeah, I guess I'm YA as well, lol. I even read every Hunger Games, Divergent and Percy Jackson books and enjoyed the movies as well (NOT the Twilight ones, as far as movies), along with the rest of the list cited.

The part that cloys me though is the excess need for romance and especially romantic triangles.

cardncubfan and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  2. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

To me, from the outside (as a non-YA writer and reader), this is at the core of YA. I understand why, and, as a writer, respect the sub-genre and those who write it. It isn't really for me, overall. Which is why I added the caveat to not liking that part of Shadow and Bone.

3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I get why there’s romance with YA, raging hormones and all, but doesn’t it really rear it’s head in virtually all entertainment? I’m unsure why it’s considered YA.

cardncubfan and Stout like this.
  4. Stout

It does, but is especially prevalent in YA, and it usually a core theme/plot. Like, if GoT were YA, Arya would probably have a will they/won't they love interest, where she may constantly pine for Gendry, for instance.

5. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Yeah I guess the pining would be the difference right? But GoT still had romance. Look no further than a major plot line of Daenerys and whatshisface. Or as you mention Arya and gendry, or the chubby dude and the pregnant wildling.

6. Stout

When I watched Game of Thrones, I didn't get the sense that romance always drove the plot; when I watched Shadow and Bone, it was hard to think it wasn't. There's romance in any story, but damn, every single person in Shadow and Bone had something going on, and I mean every last one! I think only the mob boss was left out lol

7. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Huh, Mal & Alina for sure & maybe Nina & the slaver or whatever he is but that's about it.

8. Stout

That's all you saw? You didn't see Alina and the dark general on the brink of sex after he manipulated her using desire, amongst other things? The gunslinger bedding anything that moved? The caned gangster and the unwilling assassin? That's off the top of my head, without even remembering all the archetypes--er, characters.

9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

There’s not a lot of human beings that don’t want to bone. Seems true to life.

10. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

but those relationship weren’t the primary driving force of the show.

Stout likes this.
  11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

I wouldn’t say there were in this either. Let’s put it this way, they didn’t distract me from the plot.

12. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Lol, & that's every character? Yes the General almost got to her but you knew she had to get back with Mal somehow. There's just too much between them for them not to be together.

13. Stout

Like I said, it's not a knock on the show or books; it's a taste thing. What doesn't distract you distracted me, but I still enjoyed the watch. I am very, very much not the target demo for YA :)

LOL & you didn't read when I said that's off the top of my head. No, that's not everyone. Romance and romantic tension was a primary driver of this show/the books, and that is common with YA. The bolded section reinforces the focus of the show. This was the central theme--a romantic one.

I'm not going to argue what is, in the industry, an accepted genre convention of YA. It's genre convention regardless of whether you agree it is or not. It's not a negative, and isn't saying folks that aren't in the YA crowd can't and shouldn't enjoy them. More focus on romance and relationships is part of YA. That's a simple fact.

This argument is absolutely fruitless. Cheese is IN the industry, so take his word for it, if not mine. Well, I'm in the industry too, on the book side of things, to a lesser extent, so, yes, you can also take my word for it. It's just...not worth arguing about any longer. Like, who cares if some people think there's more romance than others? Nobody is saying they shouldn't have done it, so what's the ruckus?

14. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Well, I'm clearly not young but I am an adult & I love it so far. It has action & romance.

Stout likes this.
  15. Stout

:thumbup:

Cool. As long as you're enjoying it, that's the main thing.

cardncubfan likes this.