Shadow and Bone (Netflix)

Reaction score
That's all you saw? You didn't see Alina and the dark general on the brink of sex after he manipulated her using desire, amongst other things? The gunslinger bedding anything that moved? The caned gangster and the unwilling assassin? That's off the top of my head, without even remembering all the archetypes--er, characters.

Lol, & that's every character? Yes the General almost got to her but you knew she had to get back with Mal somehow. There's just too much between them for them not to be together.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say there were in this either. Let’s put it this way, they didn’t distract me from the plot.

Like I said, it's not a knock on the show or books; it's a taste thing. What doesn't distract you distracted me, but I still enjoyed the watch. I am very, very much not the target demo for YA :)

Lol, & that's every character? Yes the General almost got to her but you knew she had to get back with Mal somehow. There's just too much between them for them not to be together.

LOL & you didn't read when I said that's off the top of my head. No, that's not everyone. Romance and romantic tension was a primary driver of this show/the books, and that is common with YA. The bolded section reinforces the focus of the show. This was the central theme--a romantic one.

I'm not going to argue what is, in the industry, an accepted genre convention of YA. It's genre convention regardless of whether you agree it is or not. It's not a negative, and isn't saying folks that aren't in the YA crowd can't and shouldn't enjoy them. More focus on romance and relationships is part of YA. That's a simple fact.

This argument is absolutely fruitless. Cheese is IN the industry, so take his word for it, if not mine. Well, I'm in the industry too, on the book side of things, to a lesser extent, so, yes, you can also take my word for it. It's just...not worth arguing about any longer. Like, who cares if some people think there's more romance than others? Nobody is saying they shouldn't have done it, so what's the ruckus?

Reaction score
Like I said, it's not a knock on the show or books; it's a taste thing. What doesn't distract you distracted me, but I still enjoyed the watch. I am very, very much not the target demo for YA :)

LOL & you didn't read when I said that's off the top of my head. No, that's not everyone. Romance and romantic tension was a primary driver of this show/the books, and that is common with YA. The bolded section reinforces the focus of the show. This was the central theme--a romantic one.

I'm not going to argue what is, in the industry, an accepted genre convention of YA. It's genre convention regardless of whether you agree it is or not. It's not a negative, and isn't saying folks that aren't in the YA crowd can't and shouldn't enjoy them. More focus on romance and relationships is part of YA. That's a simple fact.

This argument is absolutely fruitless. Cheese is IN the industry, so take his word for it, if not mine. Well, I'm in the industry too, on the book side of things, to a lesser extent, so, yes, you can also take my word for it. It's just...not worth arguing about any longer. Like, who cares if some people think there's more romance than others? Nobody is saying they shouldn't have done it, so what's the ruckus?

Well, I'm clearly not young but I am an adult & I love it so far. It has action & romance.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched the first episode. I never read the books and when I watched it, it was the first time I ever considered subtitles. I think I missed a lot of the names and jargon.

On episode 7. Subtitles saved our arses.

Pretty much agree with what most folks are saying. Started slow and somewhat confusing but has become quite engaging. Looking forward to the ending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA