Sell OUT?

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Since you must be referring to today's game at Maryvale, it set a record for attendance and must be listed as a sell out. They were selling standing room--there were a few open spaces on the outfield lawns... but this stadium has perhaps the WORST parking and entrance situation of any of the Cactus League stadiums. I got to the general vicinity about an hour before the game started and got inside the gate just as they were singing the national anthem.... doubt that I'll ever return to Maryvale Stadium again.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by moviegeekjn
Since you must be referring to today's game at Maryvale, it set a record for attendance and must be listed as a sell out. They were selling standing room--there were a few open spaces on the outfield lawns... but this stadium has perhaps the WORST parking and entrance situation of any of the Cactus League stadiums. I got to the general vicinity about an hour before the game started and got inside the gate just as they were singing the national anthem.... doubt that I'll ever return to Maryvale Stadium again.

For non-Dback games (non-sellouts) Maryvale is a great place to watch a game. Don't let one bad experience ruin it for you!

Moose Lady

Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry bout that John but you need to get there at least a 1/2 hr before they open the gates. If you do, you can find a parking spot on 53rd Ave, on the west side of the park. I tried their parking lot 1 time and swore I would never park there again. So just plan on getting there before gates which was 11:30 today. I must say, they do have a much better range of food choices than any of the other parks.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
For whatever reason they apparently didn't open the gates until 12:30 Sunday, so I actually WAS in the vicinity a half hour before they first opened..... The field itself is fine....They simply cannot handle a large crowd.

Last edited:

Moose Lady

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by moviegeekjn
For whatever reason they apparently didn't open the gates until 12:30 Sunday, so I actually WAS in the vicinity a half hour before they first opened..... The field itself is fine....They simply cannot handle a large crowd.

Wait a minute here. You were talking about Maryvale weren't you??? Cuz I was there Sunday and they opened Gate B (which is on the 3rd base side) at approximately 11:20. And that was a little earlier than they usually open which is at 11:30. I can't imagine what gate you were at.

AZZenny

Reaction score
So - WHERE is the Surprise stadium exactly, how early to get there, how's parking??

Moose Lady

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZZenny
So - WHERE is the Surprise stadium exactly, how early to get there, how's parking??

Take the 101 to Bell, go West to just past Litchfield Rd. I think, if I remember correctly, it's the 2nd light past Litchfield. There is a sign there and it's on Bulliard, not sure if that's the correct spelling. You will make a left on Bullard. It's on your right. Not sure about the parking, at least how it's set up. I was only there the first Sat they opened the box office. But it looks like there are plenty of parking lots around it. Both north and south of the park. See ya there! !

AZZenny

Reaction score
Let me say - for only 20 minutes more driving time(from far north Scottsdale) I could have been at TEP - easier to get to, better parking management, pleasanter stadium/feel, better concessions, better-staffed friggin' will-call windows.... I rather doubt I'll bother with the 90-plus-minute drive to Surprise again.

When people do go, avoid Bell Road at all costs - about 40 minutes of my drive was stop-and-go on Bell between the 101 and Litchfield Rd, another 15 from there to the parking lot - take some other cross town road, head up Grand a bit and cut over to Litchfield Rd somewhere along the way, maybe. (And it's a left off of Bell after Litchfield Rd, for future reference.)

Other than that....

AZZenny

Reaction score
speaking of sell out, it appears Friday the 14th's game vs. Gnats in Scottsdale is sold out, too - though I may cruise by the stadium tomorrow in person to double-check. Bummer. Better get my tix for the 24th NOW.

Moose Lady

Veteran
Reaction score
It took me 25 min to get there from I17 & 101. I got off on Bell too. But it didn't take that long. There is no other cross street that goes thru. You can take Grand to Greenway and then west on Greenway but that's only a mile or so that your saving. I took Grand home tonight and I would advise DON'T EVER DO THAT ON A WORK DAY. It was backed up the whole way. I arrived there at about 10:30 so had no problem getting a close parking spot in the lot next to the 3rd base side entrance. Took a walk over to one of the practice fields that our guys were taking their BP on. Yes, they do allow you to get right up to the fence to watch. And/or talk to them. Gracie was very entertaining today and, I missed it but, I guess Matty sang Happy Birthday to one of the coaches. I was told it was very entertaining.

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
I was hoping to take a road trip on Friday and catch that DBacks/Ginats game, but I guess I'll have to find an alternate game. Thanks for heads up AZZenny, you saved me a wasted trip. I was hoping there'd be a game at Phoenix Muni because I have a friend that lives near there in Tempe, but the A's are on the road for two different split squad games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson