Sarver is threatening to move the Suns to Seattle or Las Vegas

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the NBA let Seattle move to OKC of all places we shouldn't think it can't happen to us. Losing the Suns is something that doesn't even seem real. It's our original franchise....first born

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was just at the arena the other night and it seemed like a perfectly normal, functional facility to me. No flaws were visible at all.
Now if there are somehow tremendous internal problems with the plumbing or electrical setup. or the A/C, it didn't seem that way.
Do we really need 'super wide' concourses as a matter of team function?
There was literally nothing wrong with the place. It's a big concrete block, how bad could it be? Especially after the fancy enclosed front facade
went on 15 years ago. Are the luxury boxes not luxurious enough? Is the Keurig broken?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I've reached the point where I want the city council to vote down the restoration and Sarver to move the team. They are NEVER going to get better under his ownership, so they might as well move the team and probably get an expansion team with an owner who actually is smart enough to spend money on basketball people who know what they're doing.

Can't get on board with this unfortunately. It would take Arizona looooong time to get another franchise.

That said I almost hope the vote fails and Sarver unsuccessfully tries to move the Suns. It might be the one thing that finally makes him sell the team, take his money, and go away.

Sure you risk losing the franchise. But nothing will improve until Sarver is gone or he somehow gets an epiphany and let's someone experienced take control of the basketball side.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yes, but this is not only his "home" or his product. it is also the NBA's product and the city's/community's product
especially when the taxpayers subsidize the arena

i'm not saying we can change anything
but we can surely have our say
The Suns/Sarver don't own the arena. They pay rent to play there. The city cares about the product (or should?) due to economic and civic value. And if that value diminishes below some threshold, then the city shouldn't care if the Suns leave or not. But managing a building that cannot be filled because the Suns are not there would also be a problem for the city. The city cares less about wins or losses than you or I do. I doubt that the Suns are embarrassing to them.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I was just at the arena the other night and it seemed like a perfectly normal, functional facility to me. No flaws were visible at all.
Now if there are somehow tremendous internal problems with the plumbing or electrical setup. or the A/C, it didn't seem that way.
There was literally nothing wrong with the place. It's a big concrete block, how bad could it be? Especially after the fancy enclosed front facade
went on 15 years ago. Are the luxury boxes not luxurious enough? Is the Keurig broken?

Yeah - all buildings need maintenance and upgrades can improve things

Overall though the arena is fine.

I've been in there for almost every type of event and it's fine.

Seats are fine, boxes are fine, the club area is fine, play area for kids, seats are in good shape.

Concessions could be improved.

The upgrades would be focused on high dollar areas to bring more money in - shiny toy stuff

It's on par with a lot of NBA buildings I've been in - I like it more than Minneapolis or Denver

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Start watching other teams. Pick another

PR nightmare? I think you are overvaluing the importance of the Phoenix Suns to the NBA landscape. You act as if this is the Lakers, Bulls, or Knicks. Its the Suns. The team with zero rings. They mean a lot to old time Phoenix residents but not to the average NBA fan, or even the transplant Arizona NBA fan. It especially doesn't matter to NBA owners who know they will make a killing in Las Vegas and Seattle.
Nah. Suns move, I am done with the NBA.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't get on board with this unfortunately. It would take Arizona looooong time to get another franchise.

That said I almost hope the vote fails and Sarver unsuccessfully tries to move the Suns. It might be the one thing that finally makes him sell the team, take his money, and go away.

Sure you risk losing the franchise. But nothing will improve until Sarver is gone or he somehow gets an epiphany and let's someone experienced take control of the basketball side.

I get it and don't begrudge the feeling. He's just beaten the love of the game almost completely out of me so if he did move, not only wouldn't effect my viewing habits all that much, but in addition to that, I probably waste so much time on this damn board venting!

Also, I really can't stress enough how much this season has just kicked me right between the testicles. It was the first time in probably 7 years that I was ACTUALLY excited for a season... and then they come out and look like GANGBUSTERS on opening night! Now, I knew there would still be a lot of growing pains regardless of that game against the Mavs, but as I watched more and became so disenchanted with Igor, watched Ayton drift through games, Josh Jackson look like one of the worst players in basketball and saw them just take 20 point pounding after pounding, I'm just tired of basketball and us sucking at it, now, incredibly to a degree we've actually never seen before... which is saying something considering how much we've sucked since 2010.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't said this here yet, but my adult children have no real interest in the team. That is because during their formative teen years the team has been a laughingstock. An entire generation of fans has been lost.

Sarver and the city leaders are all idiots. I cannot believe Thelda Williams is mayor. I had a meeting with her once on an issue where she had made a blunder in supporting a bill she really should not have and she knew it. She broke down and wept out of fear. Literally. It was shocking.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't said this here yet, but my adult children have no real interest in the team. That is because during their formative teen years the team has been a laughingstock. An entire generation of fans has been lost.

ouchie and I have talked and wondered about this and I asked a couple of my life-long die-hard fellow friends who still live in the valley if their kids like the Suns... they both said they didn't give one stinking crap about the team.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
it is a basic negotation tactic, stop over-dramatizing especially if it is just reported "allegedly" and by anonymous sources.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would love to see that breakdown, because I’m inclined to be sure the other way. Or rather, sure that the cost to the city might be reimbursed over time, but the city won’t be a profit partner or share in the valuation of the franchise.

There aren’t THAT many other events at the arena, eapecially in peak tourist season during the NBA schedule. Forbes values the Suns at almost 1.3 billion. Why can’t the Suns finance it over time rather than the city? Rhetorical question, honestly. I just find it absurd how we’ve subsidized these things.

Ok just tell me

Lets say you make $100k a year but rent a modest cheap flat which has not been rennovated in 20 years. Are you responsible for rennovating it because you can afford it or your landlord who owns it and rents it to you?

Just from rent alone the city of Phoenix is getting 4 million per year from the Suns and the funds they use are generated by tourism tax which was designed for this.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Which is why I am hoping that Jerry will get involved behind the scenes, if he isn't already, especially since Sarver was his legacy.

the ridiculous worshipping of Colangelo has to stop. He sold to Sarver in the first place and had faults of his own.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Charlotte lost their team and poo ass owner. It hurt this city bad................. Thank god a hurricane hurt that poo owner in New Orleans. Suns will always live just like the Super Sonic's except Phoenix would get another team. Maybe from New Orleans.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
ouchie and I have talked and wondered about this and I asked a couple of my life-long die-hard fellow friends who still live in the valley if their kids like the Suns... they both said they didn't give one stinking crap about the team.

I teach 100 fifth graders and not one of them like the Suns!!! None of them ever wear any Suns gear.

20 years ago lots of them did. Sarver has destroyed this franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

maybe the jumbo-tron could use an update

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

the luxury boxes are installed and paid by the Suns but I am not surprised by these simpleton analysis.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The arena needs updated badly.
The city owns the arena.
This is not just a negotiating tactic. This team could leave.
It is a stupid thing to say, in this town threats like that shut down talk.
This could go to a referendum where years of frustration will result in the whole deal nixed by voters.
I hope the nba would refuse to let him move the team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort