Sarver is threatening to move the Suns to Seattle or Las Vegas

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who was saying all summer that Sarver is still a pain in the ass, meddles in the GMs role, and is keeping this team from having success?

I forget who that was

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody like Robert Sarver owning the Suns? I think not.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There’s nothing that I would want more for Christmas than to watch this happen.

I actually wouldn’t want anything ever for Christmas if I got the opportunity to watch this live.

Matt Barnes would’ve become an Arizona hero for doing this.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Who was saying all summer that Sarver is still a pain in the ass, meddles in the GMs role, and is keeping this team from having success?

I forget who that was

Several of us. I believe you’re referencing the McD firing thread, in which several posters characterized Sarver as having improved as an owner. Those feelings didn’t last long.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sarver needs to be forced to sell. NBA needs to fabricate something if they must to get this guy out of ownership. He’s an embarrassment not just to the city of Phoenix and state of Arizona but also to the league!

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Even some Sonics fans would rather not have a team than have a team that’s owned by Robert Sarver.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've reached the point where I want the city council to vote down the restoration and Sarver to move the team. They are NEVER going to get better under his ownership, so they might as well move the team and probably get an expansion team with an owner who actually is smart enough to spend money on basketball people who know what they're doing.
How long did Charlotte go without a team? How long has Seattle been without a team even though it has a bright shiny new arena just sitting there waiting? If this happens, I might as well just give up on the NBA because we are not getting a new team before I die. Any of you over 45 or so would be in the same boat. Maybe in 20 years we get a team, but by that time who in this market would even care about the NBA anymore?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver needs to be forced to sell. NBA needs to fabricate something if they must to get this guy out of ownership. He’s an embarrassment not just to the city of Phoenix and state of Arizona but also to the league!

There is always something if one looks deep enough.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I have a questions. Are the renovations just benefiting the Suns (they play there 40 something times a year) or will it also benefit the other events held there?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is the arena really that bad? It's only 25 years old!
I am very politically conservative. I am very much anti-tax. But yes, it does need a renovation. Any arena after 25 years will need an update. Honestly, a $250 million renovation is getting off pretty cheap IMO. If you are a property owner, you have an obligation to keep that property in appropriate condition for its intended use. In another lifetime I was in the the commercial property business. The city of Phoenix has two alternatives. Update the facility (and a 50/50 partnership in the update would be a very good deal for the city) or sell the facility to someone who will update it.

This is in no way a defense of Sarver. He is a bad owner and threatening to move makes his position worse, not better. His timing is also horrible. They really need a better PR campaign for this.

Sarver should run some sort of campaign that says "I will put up $125 million" we are asking the city to match that. Right now he wants to cover 1/3 with the city covering 2/3. Most property owners know that when your tenant offers to go 50/50 on a cost effective upgrade, its a good deal.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Just a negotiating tactic.

But yeah, this guy sucks.

Even if it is a negotiating tactic, it is sacrilegious for him to make moving the Suns an issue, especially naming specific cities.

Even worse, Sarver has now backed himself into a corner and, to save face, might have to pursue a move now that he has threatened it.

A person should never make an idle threat they are not prepared to back up. This adds "terrible negotiator" to the other skills he lacks.

How many times have I posted that he would resort to this? He just can't see beyond the end of his nose.

Personally, I am glad Sarver has gone this far. Adam Silver needs to not just step in, he needs to influence his removal as Managing General Partner.

Robert Sarver has been *, and is, an embarrassment to the Suns and the NBA.

* I am looking forward to Sarver being a has-been. :)

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo just said that if people would vote for an upgrade if Sarver was not part of the team.

If someone can actually make that case to the board of Governors, maybe BC's pipe dream would have some legs. I wonder if the City Counsel could do that. We approve the upgrade with the condition that Robert Sarver is replaced as the Managing General Partner. He can remain an owner, he just cannot remain the managing owner. If it does go to a referendum, the proposition would have a lot more chance of passing.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Sarver is an ass.

He's trying to be slick as getting this through right after an election with a lame duck mayor is his best shot - however, worth light being shed it may not get done

He doesn't have the clout to get a deal in another city.

The danger for the local market isn't Sarver moving the team, it's in him selling the team.

If a guy like Chris Hansen buys it, the team would be gone.

That script exists.

I don't think Sarver would push aside his ego enough to sell. However, he also does have the temperament to throw a fit - he's clearly not a liked member of the club and could just want to cash out if he doesn't get his way

There needs to be a smarter way to handle these items.

Just to clear up some misconception on the situation in Seattle, the building wasn't unsafe. Not even close.

The arena was closed for over a year as a $90m+ remodel took place - including over $70m in public funds

Stern praised the building in '95 & '96 as being state of the art and a fantastic venue

Only problem was, right after that more arenas were built/upgraded with a focus on suites, hospitality, etc.

Schultz wanted that and he also wanted more favorable split on the money from suites, which was shared with the city.

Around 7-8 years after the public gave over $70m to the sonics and right after funding for two arenas for the Mariners and Seahawks/Sounders/expo center there was push back and fatigue to schultz demanding an additional $220m in public funds

He wasn't a liked owner, had moved popular players and didn't get along with the players, other owners or his own staff.

He was used to demanding things and getting them and the city was willing to offer something realistic and not his plan

He just burned out of it all and sold the team 5 years after buying it. 10 years after the remodel the team was as good as gone

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Phoenix suns fans should go to the next game and chant "Sell the team".
next game is tomorrow night, on national television on TNT. i hope they do this, and i hope the TV mics pick it up. then i hope the announcers let the sound of that roll for a solid 15 seconds and reply with "enough said."

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92