Rumor? The Cardinals and CB Patrick Peterson are parting ways

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol

this guy kills me. You have an offense that has jumped up drastically in the last two years, win totals have gone up in the last two years

and we were literally a few made field goals from the playoffs and the way this dude talks you would think we were in the running for the #1 pick.

I said no such thing. Quit with the strawman.

Are we likely to win the SB next year? Looking at the two teams in the SB and the holes we have by comparison. Not a chance. Sure we can make the playoffs but we ain't winning a Superbowl.

To even sniff the SB we would need a new C, RG, RT, starting RB, one starting WR. One starting ILB. A starting iDL. At least 1 starting CB, possibly 2. We are several players away with limited cap space.

CJ isn't the difference between us winning a SB or not so get something for him while we can and start rebuilding to fill those holes so we can win one. By the time we fill these holes and have a chance in a year or two CJ will be 34.

I love the guy but this is a business. If I can get a 2nd round pick for CJ and save $15m on the cap and use that pick and money to rebuild this team that's more likely to get us closer to a SB them hanging on to CJ.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We didn't go from 12 to 10 to 8 wins with evident rot and the need to rebuild.

We have ascended over the past two seasons and still have the advantage of a below market value QB contract.

Judging CJ on a 4 game set and extrapolating is a bit much. Perhaps someone will make an offer we can't refuse but, short of that, I'd look to redo his last year and extend.

I hate not having an on-the-field answer for PP21 but I'm not willing to overpay for his services.*

If FITZ insists on his $11m for the upcoming season, I'm not there but one has to recognize that this is a deal which goes beyond the field for Mike Bidwill.

* The possible (likely) departure of PP21 brings up what the team might do Robert Alford.

I'm not only judging him on his 4 game set. Although that's a quarter of a season and a fair amount to judge on.

Even if CJ started the year with 4 sacks I'd be saying the same because we got as many sacks out of his replacements. We had more or equal amount of team sacks than any year CJ has been here except 2018 where we had 1.5 more.

As great as CJ is and for all the sacks he gets we haven't had a winning season since he's been with us. That's no reflection on him, I'm just highlighting that it's not as if he's the difference between winning and losing.

I want to build a winning TEAM. Not be a poor to average team with a few stars on it. And in my opinion the best way to build a better team would be if we could get a 2nd round pick for CJ and save $15.5m of cap space. Both of which can go towards making this team younger and better.

IMO it's time to move on from P2, CJ and Fitz.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said no such thing. Quit with the strawman.

Are we likely to win the SB next year? Looking at the two teams in the SB and the holes we have by comparison. Not a chance. Sure we can make the playoffs but we ain't winning a Superbowl.

To even sniff the SB we would need a new C, RG, RT, starting RB, one starting WR. One starting ILB. A starting iDL. At least 1 starting CB, possibly 2. We are several players away with limited cap space.

CJ isn't the difference between us winning a SB or not so get something for him while we can and start rebuilding to fill those holes so we can win one. By the time we fill these holes and have a chance in a year or two CJ will be 34.

I love the guy but this is a business. If I can get a 2nd round pick for CJ and save $15m on the cap and use that pick and money to rebuild this team that's more likely to get us closer to a SB them hanging on to CJ.

I agree we have holes but Tampa just won a SB a year after going 7-9. They have better Wr's than we do other than D Hop but the main thing they did was a combination of drafting well, and making the right signings. We have Kyler so we don't need a veteran like Brady signing but we do need the other ones. 2 years ago they were 29th in points allowed, this year 8th. They allowed almost 100 less points a game, in large part by getting rid of Winston who turned it over so much, they went from a league worst 41 turnovers to 17 this year!

We don't have that really obvious way to get better they did, change QB's to stop the turnovers, but the point is a team can go from where we are, to a SB, in one year if they make the right moves.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree we have holes but Tampa just won a SB a year after going 7-9. They have better Wr's than we do other than D Hop but the main thing they did was a combination of drafting well, and making the right signings. We have Kyler so we don't need a veteran like Brady signing but we do need the other ones. 2 years ago they were 29th in points allowed, this year 8th. They allowed almost 100 less points a game, in large part by getting rid of Winston who turned it over so much, they went from a league worst 41 turnovers to 17 this year!

We don't have that really obvious way to get better they did, change QB's to stop the turnovers, but the point is a team can go from where we are, to a SB, in one year if they make the right moves.

Tampa won a SB a year after going 7-9 because their biggest hole was at QB. Fill the QB hole and the rest came together.

They didn't add any major FA signings this year outside resigning their own guys and adding Brady. They added Winfield and Wirf in the draft.

Those are the only changes they made. They had far less holes than we have.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Tampa won a SB a year after going 7-9 because their biggest hole was at QB. Fill the QB hole and the rest came together.

They didn't add any major FA signings this year outside resigning their own guys and adding Brady. They added Winfield and Wirf in the draft.

It isn't impossible. We have resources to get things back on track but I am not confident Keim has this club in his bag.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I get your point Brit BUT they added Gronk, Fournette, Brown. All who contributed to winning that SB (those 3 accounted for ALL of the TDs Tampa scored). Just sayin'.

BTW, I agree that the Cards are a lot farther away than closer to a SB right now. Heck, I don't see them being above 4th in their division next year. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It isn't impossible. We have resources to get things back on track but I am not confident Keim has this club in his bag.

I get your point Brit BUT they added Gronk, Fournette, Brown. All who contributed to winning that SB (those 3 accounted for ALL of the TDs Tampa scored). Just sayin'.

BTW, I agree that the Cards are a lot farther away than closer to a SB right now. Heck, I don't see them being above 4th in their conference next year. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm not saying it's impossible. Just highly unlikely. A comparison to Tampa bay is way off as they had far less needs than we do.

The reason Brady signed (and Gronk, Brown and Fournette) was because they could all see they were contenders with a great roster already in place.

Reactions: TRW

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
and we were literally a few made field goals from the playoffs and the way this dude talks you would think we were in the running for the #1 pick.

Keep dreaming pal, we're much closer to being the worst team in the division than making the super bowl.

This team is has holes ALL OVER THE FIELD. Running it back with Keim/Kliff and company is a complete waste of a year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's impossible. Just highly unlikely. A comparison to Tampa bay is way off as they had far less needs than we do.

The reason Brady signed (and Gronk, Brown and Fournette) was because they could all see they were contenders with a great roster already in place.
When everyone's job is on the line, I don't know that you advocate for cutting Chandler Jones. Not re-signing Peterson is ok because he is a FA and players get the cap situations. They also see the film. That is not the case with Jones. Was he great in his limited snaps this year? No, but players are going to see his season cut short and a DPOY season the year prior. That is going to crush your locker room.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
When everyone's job is on the line, I don't know that you advocate for cutting Chandler Jones. Not re-signing Peterson is ok because he is a FA and players get the cap situations. They also see the film. That is not the case with Jones. Was he great in his limited snaps this year? No, but players are going to see his season cut short and a DPOY season the year prior. That is going to crush your locker room.

Chandler's play this year left you a bit concerned, no? You'd hate to have him look like he did in the first few games of 2020 with a shiny new contract as well, right?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rob Gronkowski begs to differ. I agree they had less holes but as I said the gaping one was all the turnovers which was largely Jameis. They made the right signings.

That said we this year were a better team than they were 2 years ago, it's just that our biggest need is not QB and fixing our biggest need is not going dramatically cut our turnovers as it did theirs.

Their defense got better for 2 reasons, guys got experience, like White, and because 41 turnovers led to a ton of points that wasn't really the fault of the defense.

I'm not saying it's easy for us to get there I'm saying literally the team that won on Sunday was 7-9 the year before. When Brady signed one of the more common statements was yeah they have good WR's but when he plays behind that OL he'll find out how good he had it in NE. Which of course proved to be untrue, the problem wasn't the OL, it was Winston. Brady made the OL look better, Winston made it look worse. Their sacks went from 47 to 21 by just changing QB's, and adding Wirfs. Pretty similar to what happened to our sacks from year 1 to year 2 of Kyler.

Our defense is right about where theirs is, the difference is offense they scored 80 more points than we did, and their kicker missed only 3 FG's all year, ours cost us 2-3 games.

I have no idea how many FA's they had after last year to deal with, obviously we have some key ones.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Come on man. Teams trade players that are team captains or popular locker room presences frequently.

Just last year the Niners traded Buckner. Washington traded Trent Williams. Vikings traded Diggs. Texans traded Nuk. Slay, Trai Turner so on and so forth. All great players and big presences on their teams. CJ is no different.

If our locker room is going to get teary eyed because a player gets traded to try make the team better we have worse problems than I thought.

What exactly is CJ going to add to this team for the $20m we will pay him? We just got as many sacks since he has been with us without him. We were 2-2 with him and 6-6 without him.

He is without doubt a great individual player but what exactly can we not achieve without him?

If he was 27 we obviously wouldn't be having this conversation but he's 31. He's not the future. I doubt he will still be on this roster by the time we fill the holes required to challenge for the SB. So why not get something for him we can invest in a young player and reuse the cap hit?

Or put it another way. If you could go back 2 years and trade P2 for a 1st or 2nd round pick knowing that he added nothing to this team the last 2 seasons would you trade him? The answer should be yes. So let's do the same with CJ now before in a year or two we are saying the same about him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rob Gronkowski begs to differ. I agree they had less holes but as I said the gaping one was all the turnovers which was largely Jameis. They made the right signings.

That said we this year were a better team than they were 2 years ago, it's just that our biggest need is not QB and fixing our biggest need is not going dramatically cut our turnovers as it did theirs.

Their defense got better for 2 reasons, guys got experience, like White, and because 41 turnovers led to a ton of points that wasn't really the fault of the defense.

I'm not saying it's easy for us to get there I'm saying literally the team that won on Sunday was 7-9 the year before. When Brady signed one of the more common statements was yeah they have good WR's but when he plays behind that OL he'll find out how good he had it in NE. Which of course proved to be untrue, the problem wasn't the OL, it was Winston. Brady made the OL look better, Winston made it look worse. Their sacks went from 47 to 21 by just changing QB's, and adding Wirfs. Pretty similar to what happened to our sacks from year 1 to year 2 of Kyler.

Our defense is right about where theirs is, the difference is offense they scored 80 more points than we did, and their kicker missed only 3 FG's all year, ours cost us 2-3 games.

I have no idea how many FA's they had after last year to deal with, obviously we have some key ones.

Our defense is right about where there's is? They just held the Chiefs to 3 FG's. There isn't a room on their defense that we are even close too. Their DL smokes ours. As does their LB room and CB room. The only room even close is safety and I still might take theirs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on man. Teams trade players that are team captains or popular locker room presences frequently.

Just last year the Niners traded Buckner. Washington traded Trent Williams. Vikings traded Diggs. Texans traded Nuk. Slay, Trai Turner so on and so forth. All great players and big presences on their teams. CJ is no different.

If our locker room is going to get teary eyed because a player gets traded to try make the team better we have worse problems than I thought.

What exactly is CJ going to add to this team for the $20m we will pay him? We just got as many sacks since he has been with us without him. We were 2-2 with him and 6-6 without him.

He is without doubt a great individual player but what exactly can we not achieve without him?

If he was 27 we obviously wouldn't be having this conversation but he's 31. He's not the future. I doubt he will still be on this roster by the time we fill the holes required to challenge for the SB. So why not get something for him we can invest in a young player and reuse the cap hit?

Or put it another way. If you could go back 2 years and trade P2 for a 1st or 2nd round pick knowing that he added nothing to this team the last 2 seasons would you trade him? The answer should be yes. So let's do the same with CJ now before in a year or two we are saying the same about him.

But you're assuming we wouldn't have had even more sacks with him. I couldn't have been the only guy last season watching the games thinking man if we had CJ now this pass rush would be scary?

I agree you want ot get rid of someone too soon not too late, I just don't think it's obvious that's where CJ is. I think one of the big concerns is how many injury return questions we have. Is CJ the same guy coming off that injury. I for one don't expect peters back in time for the start of the season. 32 with a torn patellar tendon at his size I see no way he's back that quick in fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if he misses the season.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Most of those trades you referenced were motivated by rifts between player and coaches/front offices. Trent Williams was hellbent on never playing a down for Washington ever again. Nuk was doing everything he can to get out of Houston.

I'm not trading the best pass rusher in the NFL, especially when I need to win now and get into the playoffs. There's no evidence of a decline in his play, and a biceps injury is not an injury that hinders a pass rusher for the rest of his career.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But you're assuming we wouldn't have had even more sacks with him. I couldn't have been the only guy last season watching the games thinking man if we had CJ now this pass rush would be scary?

I agree you want ot get rid of someone too soon not too late, I just don't think it's obvious that's where CJ is. I think one of the big concerns is how many injury return questions we have. Is CJ the same guy coming off that injury. I for one don't expect peters back in time for the start of the season. 32 with a torn patellar tendon at his size I see no way he's back that quick in fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if he misses the season.

Coming off an injury after that form in 4 games seems like the perfect time to move on. Those things only add to the obvious age and contract concerns.

In regards to "Maybe we would have had more sacks with him". Well we didn't in the previous 4 seasons he was healthy so I don't see why we would last year. I think that's fair to say, and he's had some better D lines in his time here.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most of those trades you referenced were motivated by rifts between player and coaches/front offices. Trent Williams was hellbent on never playing a down for Washington ever again. Nuk was doing everything he can to get out of Houston.

I'm not trading the best pass rusher in the NFL, especially when I need to win now and get into the playoffs. There's no evidence of a decline in his play, and a biceps injury is not an injury that hinders a pass rusher for the rest of his career.

What does why the trade came about matter to "locker room harmony" which is what the question was about? I'm not sure the other players care why they were traded.

Did I miss CJ getting us to the playoffs his previous 4 seasons? Saying we need him to get to the playoffs is ridiculous. What we need to get to the playoffs is a better team and to get a better team we need more picks and more cap space.

This argument equates to living in a rat infested dump in the worst neighborhood, sitting in your living room on beer crates watching a 120" 8K LED TV that costs $50k. It's great to get lost in that TV sometimes, but sooner or later you have to turn it off and realize your life is crap.

Our roster has holes everywhere. If we want to fix them we have to make some drastic moves. And it just so happens that we just proved we can do equally as well without one of our most tradeable assets.

Trade Chandler Jones

Pay Haason Reddick $15 million/year

The takes in this thread are so hawt, I may need fire retardant clothing just to be here.

lol I ain't paying Reddick $15m either.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm not trading the best pass rusher in the NFL

Ha, neither would the Cards. You seriously think he's the best pass rusher in the NFL?

especially when I need to win now and get into the playoffs.

That would be one argument for keeping him, to not add to the litany of other needs. Paying big time money for a pass rusher coming off an injury and heading into his mid 30's reeks of desperation.

There's no evidence of a decline in his play

Uh, did you see his play the 1st 4 games of the season? Certainly not what you'd expect from the "best pass rusher in the NFL".

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming off an injury after that form in 4 games seems like the perfect time to move on. Those things only add to the obvious age and contract concerns.

In regards to "Maybe we would have had more sacks with him". Well we didn't in the previous 4 seasons he was healthy so I don't see why we would last year. I think that's fair to say, and he's had some better D lines in his time here.

So are you saying that the sacks were sort of there for the taking and Reddick, Golden and Gardeck just took the sacks that Jones used to take?

I think what happened is we didn't have Jones so we had to look for other ways to manufacture sacks, and we actually hit on something that seemed to work. I suspect if we'd had a healthy Jones and done the same thing we might have had even more sacks because I think if he's in there he's either going to get more himself, or allow others to by drawing doubles. Even the first 4 games he was being doubled. 48 sacks was impressive without our best pass rusher.

To be fair 14 of those 48 were in 2 games against the Giants and Eagles with young QB's so might be overrating the pass rush

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not directly related to the Peterson news, but with this many holes on our roster, I have a tough time seeing this staff and GM not getting fired after this year.

Too bad it didn't happen in 2018.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Ha, neither would the Cards. You seriously think he's the best pass rusher in the NFL?

That would be one argument for keeping him, to not add to the litany of other needs. Paying big time money for a pass rusher coming off an injury and heading into his mid 30's reeks of desperation.

Uh, did you see his play the 1st 4 games of the season? Certainly not what you'd expect from the "best pass rusher in the NFL".

Going into the season, CJ had the most sacks of any player in the NFL since his trade to AZ in 2016. I'd say he has the inside track for that distinction, no?

I'm not concerned about his injury. Biceps tears for pass rushers are not career killers like knee injuries.

I'm not going to discard an All-Pro's entire career over four bad games, and neither should anyone else.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson