Rumor: Redd for Dampier

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MIL already has lost Jefferson and Villanueva, losing Redd would leave them nothing on offense. If they add Dampier they are going to have an excess of bigs with Gadzuric & Bogut.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
No way the Mavericks wastes Dampier's contract on Redd.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wonder if they'd buy out KT if this went down. I'd sure like to have him back.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
No way the Mavericks wastes Dampier's contract on Redd.

You're insane. That deal is 100% in the best interest of the Mavs. You add Redd to the Mavs and they are back in the hunt without a doubt. The Bucs are the stupid team if they do this deal.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
The last year of Dampier's contract is completely unguaranteed which allows the Mavericks to be a player in free agency next year via sign and trade. They aren't going to burn that chip for a guy coming off major knee surgery who duplicates skills and positions they already have.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The last year of Dampier's contract is completely unguaranteed which allows the Mavericks to be a player in free agency next year via sign and trade. They aren't going to burn that chip for a guy coming off major knee surgery who duplicates skills and positions they already have.

The question for Dallas then, is with all the teams that are dropping Salary to become players in the 2010 do they think they'll be able to land a better player then Redd? Roughly half the teams in the NBA are planning to be big players next year in free agency, there are only so many players to go around. Redd when healthy is a premiere scorer who could really help the Mavs right now. It's a gamble either way, but if I'm the Mavs I like the odds of gambling on Redd more then I like the odds of trying to compete with 15 teams for Wade, Bosh or James.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I don't think Redd really shifts the equation one way or the other for Dallas next year. They have a ton wings and shooting.

Anyways Bosh was born and raised in the Dallas area.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Redd isn't an impact player anymore. His numbers have gone down in each of the last two seasons. The only thing he does better than Jason Richardson is get to the free-throw line, and he can't stay healthy.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Redd isn't an impact player anymore. His numbers have gone down in each of the last two seasons. The only thing he does better than Jason Richardson is get to the free-throw line, and he can't stay healthy.

You have a strange definition of 'impact,' it seems to me 20ppg would have an impact. He may not be what he once was, but who cares? The Mavs already have a #1 option w/ Dirk.

Id do this move in a heartbeat if I were them. The only problem would be they really wouldn't have a traditional big guy at all. Though they could just go w/ a super quick, skilled lineup of:

Dirk
Marion
Howard
Redd
Kidd

That would be a lot of fun to watch w/ Terry coming off the bench.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
You have a strange definition of 'impact,' it seems to me 20ppg would have an impact. He may not be what he once was, but who cares? The Mavs already have a #1 option w/ Dirk.

Id do this move in a heartbeat if I were them. The only problem would be they really wouldn't have a traditional big guy at all. Though they could just go w/ a super quick, skilled lineup of:

Dirk
Marion
Howard
Redd
Kidd

That would be a lot of fun to watch w/ Terry coming off the bench.

Plus they also got Gortat from Orlando. That would be a pretty solid team IMO.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Plus they also got Gortat from Orlando. That would be a pretty solid team IMO.

Oh geez- I totally forgot about Gortat! Yah theyd start him for sure then, Marion might end up coming off the bench or Howard which would be interesting.

EDIT: Just checked the Mavs roster, Gortat could have the offer matched by Orlando...so I guess the Mavs shouldnt count those chickens just yet.

Last edited:

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Even with Gortat, who's played over 25 minutes in a game 6 times in two years, that Mavs team is going to have Dirk at the 5 and Marion at the 4 a lot. The big teams in the west like LA, SA, and Portland are going to be playing volleyball at the rim. A Redd for Dampier trade doesn't make them anymore of a title contender and hurts their chances of making a play in 2010.

Last edited:

sunsallday

Registered
Reaction score
I would rather have Michael Redd as our SG than J-Rich. That man is an assassin.