Rumor: Bledsoe trade to Lakers

t0rchy

Reaction score
There is a rumor going on (Spox, Germany) that there are talks between Lakers and Suns to Sign and Trade Eric Bledsoe to the Lakers for Jordan Hill, Julius Randle and a 1st round Pick (Houston).

What you guys think about the deal?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not a very good rumor. Randle can't be traded as he is already signed by the Lakers and Hill unless he agrees to a sign and trade can't be traded either. Also I don't know how far in the future we would have to go to get a 1st rounder from the Lakers. As they can't go consecutive years without a 1st round pick and we already have their 2015 pick and I believe they have already traded away their 2017 pick. I really don't believe their is any truth to this. Not to mention I don't think the Suns have any plan whatsoever to trade Bledsoe.

Edit: They have the rockets first round pick next year, but still doesn't change the fact that they can't currently trade Randle or Hill.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So, you can't trade a rookie once he is signed? Also, I think Jordan Hill is now under contract, so why would it have to be a sign and trade with him? The big controversy out here is that the Lakers gave him $9mil per...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There's a rule against trading players right after you sign them as free agents, except for immediate sign-and-trades. Hill cannot be traded until December 15.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So, you can't trade a rookie once he is signed? Also, I think Jordan Hill is now under contract, so why would it have to be a sign and trade with him? The big controversy out here is that the Lakers gave him $9mil per...
Actually, no they can't trade Randle for about 3 more weeks and elindholm is right that if Hill has officially signed than he can't be traded until December 15th. I was alluding to a sign and trade because it is unclear as to whether or not Hill has officially signed his contract yet.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even think it qualifies as a rumor. Somebody suggested this is what the Lakers should do several days ago and people have been debunking it because of the rules ever since. Not jumping on the OP here but I remember the good old days when a rumor was supposed to be the result of inside information rather than a flight of fancy.

Steve

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
From today:
“@Schultz_Report: Hearing that Lakers have moved to front of the Eric Bledsoe sign-and-trade line. Suns want Julius Randle + HOU first-rounder.”

“@Schultz_Report: Hearing that Lakers are willing to go close to max for Eric Bledsoe. Kobe loves his game. Suns like Jordan Hill and his tradability next yr.”

“@Schultz_Report: Hearing that the Lakers - not the Suns - came with this. Just remember, Julius Randle can't be traded until mid-aug since he has signed.”

Id do it in a heartbeat.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, because it sounds like the stupidest trade on the planet from the Lakers perspective.

They could have offered to Bledsoe in FA if they wanted to, and forced the Suns to match.

The Lakers are extremely high on Randle, you aren't getting him for a guy with missing knees.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man. Hope the Lakers give Eric and offer sheet. Then we can match and this will be over. I guess Bled hasn't signed in order to try to work out a sign and trade.

Don't blame Eric for wanting to be in LA. He lived there for a while.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, because it sounds like the stupidest trade on the planet from the Lakers perspective.

They could have offered to Bledsoe in FA if they wanted to, and forced the Suns to match.

The Lakers are extremely high on Randle, you aren't getting him for a guy with missing knees.

The NBA is extremely high on Bledsoe. Despite his fairly routine knee surgery, you aren't getting him for a guy with T-Rex arms.

I like Randle. I think he's going to be a solid PF for a decade plus. But Bledsoe is a game changer. Even with his slightly elevated injury risk, you don't give up that kind of player for a guy whose ceiling is just above average. Maybe on the next contract where Randle has hit his peak and Bledsoe's injury risk gets a little more serious but not now, no way.

And this nonsense that we're interested in Hill because of his tradability? Are there a bunch of teams lined up to pay him 9 million a year? I like Hill as a 5 per backup but 9 million gets him mentioned on most expert's worst FA signings list. Granted, he can put a girl in a chokehold in no short order but I think that probably plays better next to Kobe than it would elsewhere.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

So why are the Lakers bringing it to us then?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you have a potential star player, you don't let him walk. Bledsoe is more of a star player than Randle, Hill and the pick represent NBA journeyman level players.

Whoever gets the best player wins the trade. I say keep Bledsoe. If LA can find a way to give him an offer sheet, great. We can match and move on.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If you have a potential star player, you don't let him walk.
You do when you already have an established star player at Point Guard, are overloaded with Point Guards and your greatest need is a rebounding Power Forward.

Especially when the Front Office is guessing whether Bledsoe wants to remain a Phoenix Sun.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You do when you already have an established star player at Point Guard, are overloaded with Point Guards and your greatest need is a rebounding Power Forward.

Especially when the Front Office is guessing whether Bledsoe wants to remain a Phoenix Sun.

But you only have that other star pg for a year and then he is unrestricted. Big picture to view here.

Control what you can control. Next year this time, we could be without both--for next to nothing. You have to lock up Eric.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
But you only have that other star pg for a year and then he is unrestricted. Big picture to view here.

Control what you can control. Next year this time, we could be without both--for next to nothing. You have to lock up Eric.
Isn't it a strong possibility that if we do lock up Eric, and Goran has to divide his time at his best position, PG, we will lose Goran.

Whereas if we go forward with Goran as our 'star' at the Point, we have a good chance of not losing him?

If I am overlooking something here, please let me know.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Suns have 3 capable PG's. Three! One of which also plays SG.

The Suns aren't guessing anything, it's a few fans that are like that person in a relationship that needs to hear how loved they are all the time or they get paranoid that the other person is shopping for a replacement. The Suns on the other hand have spent hours with him almost daily for the past year and I'm betting know perfectly well whether he's happy or not.

This doesn't even qualify as a rumor. Man it's gotten slow for so many of both teams fans to jump all over this as if it has an ounce of validity.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Isn't it a strong possibility that if we do lock up Eric, and Goran has to divide his time at his best position, PG, we will lose Goran.

Whereas if we go forward with Goran as our 'star' at the Point, we have a good chance of not losing him?

If I am overlooking something here, please let me know.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with BC867. You aren't going to lose Dragic if you make it his team and pay him appropriately.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why does everyone (exaggeration) keep saying that's our greatest need? Seriously, what does it matter if it's our power forward picking up the board or if it's our small forward? We were an average rebounding team last year. I'm sure we have other flaws that are more pressing. Such as a complete inability to guard the true centers of the league?

And a great point guard is more important than an average power forward. Even if you already have 6 great point guards. Do you trade your 8th Mercedes for a Kia (it's just mild sarcasm, nothing serious;))? If we're going to part with a potential star at one position I want that same level of talent in return otherwise we're selling at a discount and that only works for the Diamondbacks.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with BC867. You aren't going to lose Dragic if you make it his team and pay him appropriately.

I am in agreement with you two gentlemen as well. I would just add that Goran is not only the Suns best player (by far), but he also genuinely loves the organization and the city. For God's sake, he came back after the Suns sent him to the Rockets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers trade does not make any sense based upon Randle being signed.

In regard to the Mercedes, sometimes it is wise to invest some money in a nice truck. In can be a PF type truck or a center type truck either having the power to get the job done.

Another thought, maybe the Lakers rumor would involve a third team. I do not know how it would work.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Uuuuhhh, can we at least concentrate on rumors that make sense? And why would the Lakers... nevermind that, why would the Suns want to help out the Lakers, we need them to finish kinda low (not too low).