Roster Analysis: ILBers

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Inside Linebackers:

54 Gerald Hayes (6-1, 249, 7, Pittsburgh). Finished second on the team in tackles with 88 (67 solo). Had 1/2 a sack, forced 4 fumbles and recovered 2. Active and athletic ILB who plays his best when he can run downhill to the ball. Tends at times to react late to inside runs. Is a good blitzer up the middle, but was used sparingly in that role. Solid pass defender. Shows up big in some games, and disappears in others. The team needs more consistent production from him. Is signed until 2011.

58 Karlos Dansby (6-4, 250, 6, Auburn). Led the team in tackles with 119 (95 solo). Registered 4 sacks, 7 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries. Rangy and athletic ILB who is prolific in pass coverage. The hybrid 3-4 scheme aims to protect Dansby to give him free shots at the ball. But, when challenged by traps and screens to his side, he does not step up to disrupt the plays fast enough. Finishes off tackles well. Is a very good blitzer. Very good size to speed ratio. Has emerged as a vocal leader. Has been given the franchise tag again and he and the team hope to sign him to a lucrative long-term deal. But, for some reason, that appears unlikely to happen, as he and the team do not quite agree on his market value.

52 Monty Beisel (6-3, 244, 9, Kansas St.). Solid backup ILB who, following a back injury in the off-season, appeared to get stronger in each game. One of the team's more active and productive special teamers. Finished the season with 20 tackles (15 solo). Played some ILB in the Super Bowl. Has played well in a substitute role in the past. Is now a UFA. Will most likely be re-signed and could make more of a steady impact on the defense next year, especially if new DC Bill Davis wants to move Karlos Dansby to the edge at times.

95 Ali Highsmith (6-1, 223, 2, LSU). Smallish in size...needs to add strength and weight, but plays with passion and flair. Was one of the best STers on cover teams until he was injured. Was missed in that capacity. Has a nose for the ball. Is instinctive. Good tackler. Is one of the team's most intriguing young talents.

51 Pago Togafau (5-10, 242, 3, Idaho St.). ST player who was brought back at mid-season to replace Highsmith. Recorded 8 tackles and did a decent job, although he was beaten badly on a couple of long returns. Battled through injuries. Coaches have liked him. Has proven to be a solid tackler when he breaks down properly.

Free Agent to Watch:

Bart Scott, Baltimore (6-2, 240, 8, Southern Illinois). His addition would allow the team to switch Karlos Dansby to the outside. This may sound crazy, but the Cardinal coaches might believe they have a poor man's version of Scott in Monty Beisel, and thus may not want to pour the money it woud take in order for the team to win a bidding war for Scott.

Draftees To Watch:

Rey Maualaga (6-2, 250, USC). Will likely be off the board at #31, but one never knows. Has tremendous ability. Reminds some of Junior Seau.

Darry Beckwith (6-1, 240, LSU). Highsmith's teammate at LSU, is a natural athlete who can run, hit and cover.

Scott McKillop (6-2, 242, Pittsburgh). May be the best tackler between the tackles in this draft. Is instinctive and fundamentally sound.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fun stuff as always Mitch!

I wonder though, could Dansby really survive outside in the 3-4 looks (or hybrid whathaveyous) if he's forced to take on tackles, TE's, or FB's?

He seems to be a playmaker in space, but as you point out, he seems to have trouble clearing the bruisers.

In the more conventional 4-3 he's a great Will though.

Last edited:

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
Nice write up as always

One player I think you should add as possible draftee is Stanley Arnoux out of Wake Forest as a ILB prospect. Played on a good defense and is coached really well.

Or even Jason Phillips from TCU. Gotta love the fact he played MLB on the nations top defense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Nice write up as always

One player I think you should as possible draftee is Stanley Arnoux out of Wake Forest as a ILB prospect. Played on a good defense and is coached really well.

Or even Jason Phillips from TCU. Gotta love the fact he played MLB on the nations top defense.

Good call on both Arnoux and Phillips, Goober Man.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Mitch, what do you think of Worrell Williams out of Cal?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

You know, Shogun, I always thought Williams was the heart of Cal's defense, while Zach Follett, because of the TFLs he amassed, got most of the pub.

He seemed a little smallish to me as an NFL prospect, but smaller ILBers are now in vogue...especially in the 3-4.

What do you think?

Hey, Russ, what's your take on Williams? Russ knows his Cal guys like the back of his hand.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Cards have 22 years of experience in their 3 top ILB's. All three are top quality NFL players. The Cards weakness is at OLB where both Haggans and LaBoy are too small and Haggans,Okeafor and Berry will be 32,33 and 34 respectively by the time the Cards open the 2009 season.

Arizona has no use for Bart Scott. They need a young 3-4 OLB. Like this guy.

Phillip Hunt, 6’ 1” 253 lbs. Houston
Hunt is super sleeper, playing for Houston he didn’t get the exposure as some of the others, but did you know he was ranked #2 in the NCAA with 14 sacks this season? His 18.5 TFLs weren’t anything to sneeze at either. Maybe at only 6’ 1” he might not have the height as you would like, but he has immense talent none the less.

James Harrison | #92 | OLB

Pittsburgh Steelers

Height: 6-0 Weight: 242 Age: 30

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I like'em.

He is a like a smaller, faster Gabe Watson. HUGE shoulders and solid.

I think you could put him in the middle of the 3-4 and let him bowling ball around. That is a guy who could clog up the middle and take on a FB, Center or even a Guard.

BEASTAL.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like'em.

He is a like a smaller, faster Gabe Watson. HUGE shoulders and solid.

I think you could put him in the middle of the 3-4 and let him bowling ball around. That is a guy who could clog up the middle and take on a FB, Center or even a Guard.

BEASTAL.

I'm a little confused. He's only 250lbs... are you saying ILB? Could he really take on a guard? That's toughness right there if we're thinking of the same dude.