Rodney Hudson - returns after holding out?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except that is not really what was done here. Links from the official AZCardinals website wasn't a reputable source for you.

lol ok. That's not what was done here based on the fact I don't believe the "reporters" that work for AZcardinals.com have any more knowledge than anyone else.

Your assertion is that guys like Urban and Parrish have better access than others, which just isn't the case. They write fluff pieces to fill the website. They never break anything.

Your suggestion is that they work for the Cardinals so have more knowledge, but if that was the case letting everyone know that they knew about Hudson at the draft and considered drafting a C in round 1 would be the last information the FO would want out there. It's a contradiction.

Especially when we know they had the Brown trade lined up for weeks in advance.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this came up earlier in the thread that it sounded like the team might have asked him to take a paycut and now he's sore about it.

I would think had they asked him to take a pay cut Hudson's agent would have leaked that to the media? It's in his interest to let the football world know, opens up trade inquiries etc

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Is there someone that could be considered as 'in the know' (agent, FO, coach, best friend, etc.) who has clearly stated that Hudson is 'seriously' considering retirement?
Damn kids, get off my lawn! You haven't provided multiple scientific studies or academic sources as to why it's more comfortable to stand on a lawn than it is on the sidewalk, and your opinion doesn't mean anything. So get off my lawn and stand on the sidewalk, that has not yet been proven to any reasonable extent to be less comfortable to stand on.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trying ro imagine how rich and set for life one must be to leave millions on the table because one doesn't like shotgun formations.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
How? You can't sign someone else to start until you know for sure what Hudson is doing. Both because he might decide to come back and you burnt a load of money on Tretter. And because until Hudson retires and free's up the cap space we don't have much money.

Also, nobody of starter level would sign until they know what was happening with Hudson.

If there is any criticism to be raised you can say the FO should have set a deadline for a decision, but then maybe they have.
I see this as two fold, first by signing someone else you pretty much force Hudson to make a decision and secondly if he did decide to play, you have possible trade material for a need down the road.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see this as two fold, first by signing someone else you pretty much force Hudson to make a decision and secondly if he did decide to play, you have possible trade material for a need down the road.

It's not so simple. What starter quality C is going to sign knowing Rodney Hudson might stay? Why would Rodney come back knowing you signed someone else and might trade him?

This is one thing that makes me doubt the retirement talk. It's been a month since camp. If Hudson was really contemplating retirement any GM would say "OK, I need to know in the next 2 weeks because if I need a replacement the market is thin and getting thinner".

That's something nobody would take issue with, that's more than enough time to make a decision.

It's why I don't believe the "They knew before the draft" bit. If there was any inkling of this pre draft any GM would say, "Ok, well we need to know before the draft".

The scenario I'm being told to believe is that the FO knew about this since early April and just said "Take all the time you need Rodney. No rush. We won't even bring in any other centers. We'll just go into camp with Harlow and nobody else. Maybe we'll try Pugh there. But don't you rush now. There's loads of centers available if we need one"

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In other words, nothing to report as is the case with local news sources but all and sundry are free to speculate and reach conclusions unsupported by any actual fact.
That is what twitter has shifted news porting to. You have credible folks and you have speculative folks. We are on a message board so speculative is our business. If you want actual reporting on this and are not interested in reading tea leaves, this isn't the area to get it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
lol ok. That's not what was done here based on the fact I don't believe the "reporters" that work for AZcardinals.com have any more knowledge than anyone else.

Your assertion is that guys like Urban and Parrish have better access than others, which just isn't the case. They write fluff pieces to fill the website. They never break anything.

Your suggestion is that they work for the Cardinals so have more knowledge, but if that was the case letting everyone know that they knew about Hudson at the draft and considered drafting a C in round 1 would be the last information the FO would want out there. It's a contradiction.

Not breaking news is very different from now knowing news. These are people who are in the building and have access to be who are directly involved in the situations. They know what the hell if going on for the most part. Even more than some of the national media folks. The difference is that they are not in the business of breaking news. There is no benefit to them. That said, they do use what they know to generate content and that content gives facts that hint to what is going on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

If all they do is write “fluff pieces” (which I’m generally prone to agree with) why would the organization allow them to write conjecture about an absence if there wasn’t meat to it? Your logic doesn’t make sense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

You don’t even see the flaw in your reasoning. They DO work for the cardinals. And you’re right, the front office would be pissed about such article . . . if it was untruthful or inaccurate. But if it’s based in reality they can’t be as angry. You don’t see how your logic kinda proves you wrong here?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Trying ro imagine how rich and set for life one must be to leave millions on the table because one doesn't like shotgun formations.
Likely doesn’t have anything to do with either. Playing line in the nfl takes a physical toll. You’ve made the money? Sometimes best to get out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not breaking news is very different from now knowing news. These are people who are in the building and have access to be who are directly involved in the situations. They know what the hell if going on for the most part. Even more than some of the national media folks. The difference is that they are not in the business of breaking news. There is no benefit to them. That said, they do use what they know to generate content and that content gives facts that hint to what is going on.
Right. If they were making up facts that would be seen as detrimental to the organization they’d be on the streets.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't agree with that at all. It's a puff piece factory and Urban and the others there know about as much as any other media. I know this because I listen to their podcasts regularly where they speculate as much as this board does.

The article in question doesn't even say they considered a center, it says "there were reports". Which was just the usual draft nonsense that links every team with every player.

"There were reports the Cardinals were considering spending their first-round pick on a center."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You don’t even see the flaw in your reasoning. They DO work for the cardinals. And you’re right, the front office would be pissed about such article . . . if it was untruthful or inaccurate. But if it’s based in reality they can’t be as angry. You don’t see how your logic kinda proves you wrong here?
I was typing up a long paragraph and then I saw that you did it for me in half the words... Thanks ouchie.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was typing up a long paragraph and then I saw that you did it for me in half the words... Thanks ouchie.

If it actually said "The Cards were interested in Centers" or "A source tells us.." instead of "There were reports" then you might have a point.

It was nothing more than Urban saying "I read an article on Cardswire that said we met Jurgens at the combine".

You're going to try tell me now that he's trying to tell us he knows without telling us he knows. Like "There were reports" means "Steve Keim told me" and then I'm going to laugh.

The trade for Brown was in the works for a month before the draft so they weren't that interested in Linderbaum, and with an extra 3rd to use to trade up in the 2nd they weren't that interested in Jurgens either.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The trade for Brown was in the works for a month before the draft so they weren't that interested in Linderbaum, and with an extra 3rd to use to trade up in the 2nd they weren't that interested in Jurgens either.
To be fair, why acquire a boring piece like a C, when you can get a WR with speed to burn!!! #keimlogic
Likely doesn’t have anything to do with either. Playing line in the nfl takes a physical toll. You’ve made the money? Sometimes best to get out.
Plenty of guys have turned away millions, especially if they already have millions in the bank.

Hudson had up until this season also been the picture of health - maybe a couple of injuries have him thinking.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Then clearly you have no notion of the meaning of the term 'obtuse'.

But claiming to know what one can't possibly know would qualify as an interpretation.
"annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand"

Everything after "or" in the definition of obtuse sums up your response that I quoted.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
To be fair, why acquire a boring piece like a C, when you can get a WR with speed to burn!!! #keimlogic

Plenty of guys have turned away millions, especially if they already have millions in the bank.

Hudson had up until this season also been the picture of health - maybe a couple of injuries have him thinking.
The bottom point is a key one. Millions and millions of dollars are great but for a lot of these guys they have to consider their long term health, especially as an O-Lineman. You don't want to force a couple more years to earn a few more million when you have a ton more wealth than your average person, if it means limping around for years in pain and dying early.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The bottom point is a key one. Millions and millions of dollars are great but for a lot of these guys they have to consider their long term health, especially as an O-Lineman. You don't want to force a couple more years to earn a few more million when you have a ton more wealth than your average person, if it means limping around for years in pain and dying early.
Guy has made 71 MILLION in 11 years. Better to have 71 million and ok health, or the risk of being permanently maimed for another 10-20 mil?

Can't imagine why he'd consider retirement.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it actually said "The Cards were interested in Centers" or "A source tells us.." instead of "There were reports" then you might have a point.

It was nothing more than Urban saying "I read an article on Cardswire that said we met Jurgens at the combine".

You're going to try tell me now that he's trying to tell us he knows without telling us he knows. Like "There were reports" means "Steve Keim told me" and then I'm going to laugh.

I do have to commend you at how hard you try sometimes...

I usually don't like to quote myself, but it is on brand this time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson