Rockets @ Suns Thursday game thread 11-4-2021

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McGee, Shamet and Payton are going to have ups and downs that’s just who they are but when there on they can be real players the only guy on this team that gets serious minutes and I have no idea how or why is Nader

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bad first half but great second half.

Ayton was off and in foul trouble tonight but still gets
16/11

Booker 27/5/9

Bridges gets you 16

Starters all played well but when your bench is killing it like this wow

Cam, McGee, Payton and Shamet all balled out tonight.
Starters as a group have not played well all season, and they didn’t tonight either.

bench won is game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McGee, Shamet and Payton are going to have ups and downs that’s just who they are but when there on they can be real players the only guy on this team that gets serious minutes and I have no idea how or why is Nader

I like Smith better than Nader but I think Stix will be used in a trade and they are not going to spend time developing him after they didn't pick up his option.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker on situation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker on situation.

That's part of why I love having Monty here. He's been here 2 years already so he's familiar with everyone and the players, city, and media is used to him at this point. His laid back Monty-isms might sound like PR hogwash if he was a new hire but that's just Monty. If the Suns play like crap then that's unavoidable because you know he's done all he could to keep them focused on the game rather than the headlines. He's a great leader.

Monty was voted top motivational head coach in the GM poll this year and it's easy for us Suns fans to understand why.

New owner, old owner, I hope and pray Monty is retained as head coach. He's become my favorite basketball coach since Westphal, who I loved growing up. I appreciate Cotton but wasn't old enough to see his heyday.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We appear to be the kind of contender that is content to "flip the switch" and spend 10-15 minutes out of 48 putting in the effort vs bad teams.

I would much rather be the type that just obliterates this level of competition from the jump. We have the talent but there is a 'sustained effort' problem that was not there last year. I will continue to chalk it up to a Finals hangover, but this can't carry on too long. Letting bad teams hang around is dangerous and will cost a several easy wins.

Also, the bench rotation is not working right now. Hopefully Cam Payne's return fixes things.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed... a lot of sizzle, but maybe not so much meat.
He surely doesn't lack confidence. That curl around from the screen three he took? He didn't hesitate and hit it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we (myself included) are all forgetting that even last year we often played down to our competition and barely eeked out wins against subpar teams and even lost some of them.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we (myself included) are all forgetting that even last year we often played down to our competition and barely eeked out wins against subpar teams and even lost some of them.
Some of those games were so frustrating. Although this feels a bit different. Last year (especially later in the season) if felt like the Suns knew how good they were and sometimes got complacent. This year? It feels like a legit struggle.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of those games were so frustrating. Although this feels a bit different. Last year (especially later in the season) if felt like the Suns knew how good they were and sometimes got complacent. This year? It feels like a legit struggle.

I'd wager that the early games were a struggle as well. We did start 6-6. It took a while to hit our stride. I want to say it was March when things started looking pretty good on a consistent basic. That was the 3rd month of the season. I'll give this team until December to get focused. It's mostly the same personnel but they were able to sneak up on teams last year. This year we're viewed as a measuring stick and it'll take time to adjust to that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, the Suns won a lot of close games last season and often played downed to the level of their competition. The Suns were 8-8 last season in the early going.

They really didn't take off until they won three games in a row beating the Warriors at home and two games at Dallas. Those wins at Dallas seemed to launch the season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Judging from Paul’s shooting I think it might be common now for it to take 10-20 games for him to warm up for the season. I do think there’s merit to the long season and Covid for book. He seems a step slow. And we are working in two major rotation pieces in shamet and mcgee and Payne’s absence has been obvious. Again, we were 8-8 last year. I’m not panicking.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judging from Paul’s shooting I think it might be common now for it to take 10-20 games for him to warm up for the season. I do think there’s merit to the long season and Covid for book. He seems a step slow. And we are working in two major rotation pieces in shamet and mcgee and Payne’s absence has been obvious. Again, we were 8-8 last year. I’m not panicking.
The play by play guys said something similar during the game last night. They joked that at 36 Paul is sort of letting others be the focus and get a feel for things. They laughed a bit while they said it....as if they were saying.....dude is 36....he is pacing himself.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The play by play guys said something similar during the game last night. They joked that at 36 Paul is sort of letting others be the focus and get a feel for things. They laughed a bit while they said it....as if they were saying.....dude is 36....he is pacing himself.
Interestingly enough by games end Paul was nails with midrange and 3-ball.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I generally consider Chris Paul time as the last 5 minutes of the game although he can turn it up during certain parts of the game when the team needs a boost.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I generally consider Chris Paul time as the last 5 minutes of the game although he can turn it up during certain parts of the game when the team needs a boost.

That’s exactly how I see him. Our young guys should be able to do the heavy lifting and he’s the closer if we need him