Rob Evans Fired

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
No one on any of the lists I've seen...they need to find someone who has a different perspective on the game.

OP
OP
N

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
krepitch said:
No one on any of the lists I've seen...they need to find someone who has a different perspective on the game.

First off, they really need somebody that can at least pay attention to it's own hometown. How many more Elliots, Jeffersons, Bibbys and Fryes do we have to watch Lute come in and easily snatch from under our noses??

Djaughe

Reaction score
krepitch said:

Hmmm...

You must be registered for see images

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Yep.

You must be registered for see images attach

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
First off, they really need somebody that can at least pay attention to it's own hometown. How many more Elliots, Jeffersons, Bibbys and Fryes do we have to watch Lute come in and easily snatch from under our noses??
The next local phenom, Jerryd Bayless, has already committed to Arizona.

It seems that after Donnel Knight and Jon Howard bombed out many local kids smartly passed on Evans.

OP
OP
N

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

This is what I'm talking about....it's one thing to get beaten all the time by your rival....it's humiliating to have them do it with YOUR kids.

Josh Pastner is the name of the UA guy I was thinking about. Any chance we can rip him from Tucson??

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Maybe he should go somewhere else since Shakur has bombed out.
It seems that after Donnel Knight and Jon Howard bombed out many local kids smartly passed on Evans.
Those guys would have sucked anywhere. The only local player that really should have stayed away from ASU is Tommy Smith.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Josh Pastner is the name of the UA guy I was thinking about. Any chance we can rip him from Tucson??
Not a chance in hell. I think ASU should go after Mark Turgeon or PJ Carlesimo if Dixon isnt available.

nm132 said:
Maybe he should go somewhere else since Shakur has bombed out.
And for this reason I doubt Lute gets any big time Philly prospects from here on out.

Fact remains that nearly all top-notch Phoenix basketball players have gone to play for Lute and ended up millionaires many times over while the best of Phoenix that have gone to ASU end up selling insurance. These guys, their coaches, and their families know this and that's why they keep going to UofA instead of ASU.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Not a chance in hell. I think ASU should go after Mark Turgeon or PJ Carlesimo if Dixon isnt available.
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

The thought of having to compete against Lute and Rosborough (sp??) WOULD be pretty intimidating. Oh well, he does seem to be doing a great job though. Wonder if he has any interest in becoming a head coach. Is he waiting for Lute to retire?? Is he still flying under radar of a small school?? Does he just not want to head coach??

Turgeon would be a good find for us. But, would Carlesimo come back to College?? He's been toiling around in the NBA for awhile. He last coached Seton Hall in 94. Is ASU really the place he'd want to return to??

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
The thought of having to compete against Lute and Rosborough (sp??) WOULD be pretty intimidating. Oh well, he does seem to be doing a great job though. Wonder if he has any interest in becoming a head coach. Is he waiting for Lute to retire?? Is he still flying under radar of a small school?? Does he just not want to head coach??
I don't think he's scared of Lute or anything like that, it's just that it's an awfully big step up for the guy and a risk even ASU should not even take. The normal progression for a young, proven recruiter and assistant coach like Pastner would be him getting a job at a mid-major and taking them into the Tournament in the next few years. He'd then piggyback that into a job like ASU's is right now in a power conference. And only then if or when he proved himself to be successful at the major conference level would he get the opportunity to take over a job like Arizona. Not to mention Pastner has always said that Arizona is his dream job and coaching at ASU basically prevents him from ever getting an office at McKale.

OP
OP
N

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
If you guys get Turgeon or Jamie Dixon being an ASU fan would actually be pretty fun. WFA would be rocking within three years.

I like both those guys.....but I'm afraid it will be something more along the lines of Carlesimo. :mad:

HooverDam

Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
We've ruined the careers of the last two coaches we've had...

Frieder ruined himself. He didnt run practices, delegated to his assistants too much and couldn't stop gambling (himself or his players).

Rob Evans career at Ole Miss was VERY average overall, he did at ASU about the same as he did at Ole Miss (perhaps a bit worse).

I'd love someone like Huggins, but it wont happen because ASU is too afraid of scandal (because of the mid 90s).

Dixon would be ideal, but I just doubt it. I agree he is probably using us for leverage.

Kruger would probably come off as a "Safe pick" for ASU, since his son plays here and he lives in the valley. I also worry that he is too much like Larry Brown- moves teams all the time. I wouldn't hate or love him as a selection.

Maybe a top tier WCC coach would be a good choice.

Whoever it is, I would prefer them to be more of a "name" guy than and "up and comer" because ASU needs to do something to cause people to pay attention.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
McKay is a better mid-major coach than he is a big time guy. He was doing horrendously at Oregon State, and basically left before the Beavers had a chance to fire him. No thanks. He's good at the New Mexicos and Colorado States. Let him remain there.

As for Dixon, leaving Pitt for Arizona State is at best a lateral move. I doubt he makes the jump and think he's using ASU for leverage.

I really want to see them go after Mark Few, but he's got a pretty good job now at Gonzaga and I think it's going to take a big time job opening for him to make the jump. ASU isn't that kind of gig.

Really, I think the best bet would be Mike Montgomery. He's a proven winner at the college game, who knows how to recruit in the Pac 10. However, I realistically see them getting someone like a Mark Fox (Nevada), Turgeon or Pat Flannery (Bucknell). A long shot IMHO should be Jeff Bedzelik.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll throw another name in there not because I've heard it rumored but because it would be a hell of a signing, Vance Walberg from Fresno City College. he was the kid a LOT of locals wanted to be the new coach at Fresno State after they fired Ray Lopes. My dad has a house fairly near Fresno and we were down there the day they hired Steve Cleveland and everyone in the local pizza place was mad it wasn't Walberg.

walberg is a dominant JC coach who's well known for his high powered offenses, in fact not that long ago Memphis' John Calipari called Walberg to pick his brain about offense. Not saying walberg is the reason Memphis got a #1 seed today but the man knows offense. He's the type of coach ASU probably needs to get, I don't think you can get a big name guy right now but get a guy who's an up and comer. A guy like Walberg already has some credibility with anybody familar with JC ball in California so you can get some jucos, and he's the type of coach that kids love to play for because of the type of offense he runs.

Tyrone Jackson of ASU played for him in JC. His teams press and run, sort of a combo of Arkansas under nolan richardson and Loyola under Westhead.