Shohei Ohtani's Interpreter Has Been Fired For Theft (MILLIONS)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shohei Ohtani's longtime interpreter has been fired after being accused of a theft, said to be on the magnitude of millions of dollars, from the Los Angeles Dodgers superstar, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Ohtani's legal team reportedly claimed Ippei Mizuhara used the two-way phenom's funds to place bets with an allegedly illegal bookmaker who is currently under federal investigation.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So this story is changing at a rapid pace… Ippei released a statement or did an interview this morning and he said that Ohtani was paying his gambling debts with a bookie for him. Ohtani paid it directly because he didn’t trust that Ippei wouldn’t just gamble with the money.

HOWEVER: he’s now he’s retracted that statement and is claiming that Ohtani knew nothing of his gambling debts and he was fired because he stole the money from Ohtani..

In the Tuesday interview arranged by Ohtani's spokesman, Mizuhara, 39, told ESPN that he asked Ohtani last year to pay off his gambling debt, which multiple sources said had ballooned to at least $4.5 million.
But on Wednesday afternoon, Mizuhara told ESPN that Ohtani had no knowledge of his gambling debts and that Ohtani had not transferred money to the bookmaker's associate.

This is starting to smell like a massive coverup.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

Ohtani could be in plenty of trouble here.
It feels like it has to be scenario 2 or 3 from that article. I can't see how Ohtani is 100% clean in this with the dollar amounts, the initial statements, and the type of people involved. For a bookie to float that much money he had to have had something more than a translator saying "my boss will back me."

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It feels like it has to be scenario 2 or 3 from that article. I can't see how Ohtani is 100% clean in this with the dollar amounts, the initial statements, and the type of people involved. For a bookie to float that much money he had to have had something more than a translator saying "my boss will back me."
"Don't worry, I'm good for it... I'll just steal from my employer to cover it."

:D

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just nonsense. Bookies don't let you build a 4.5 million dollar hole without knowing you have some way to pay it.

A guy making 300k a year for the Dodgers wouldn't have the kind of credit to even get to this point.

Which means it was Ohtani who was involved.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MLB will likely protect Ohtani because he is a major star, just watch. Nothing would gladden my heart more than to see him get a lifetime ban and he plucked off the Doyers, won't happen likely. Meanwhile, its a slap in the face to Pete Rose.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
The last thing I would worry about is if it's a slap in the face of Pete Rose.

Rose bet on sports for years as a player and manager, including on baseball, and on games he was involved in. Then he signed a document agreeing to a lifetime ban in exchange for the investigation into his affairs be stopped. Then he lied for years saying he never bet on baseball...... until his own book came out (My Prison Without Bars) in which he admits to betting on the Reds. But only to win.