Rivera comments on Cards Interview

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I think the Falcons end up with Wisenhunt. Raiders promote Ryan. Steelers get Grimm. Dolphins get Jim Bates. Redskins get Cowher in a few years

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really care much for his comments on the interview. Rather bland, IMO.

Now, I know he wasn't giving a press conference here like Sherman did, and he may have said a lot more that just wasn't printed, but those comments don't have much excitement in them. I'd love to hear (and see) him talk about the interview.

With all that said, I still would love to have him here but those comments sure didn't do anything to hype me up...very bland.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I really like Rivera. He does have a plan in place on staff he would bring in. He is just 44 years and full of energy. He is my first choice. It would be great to have a "smashmouth physcial team."

Yikes! That would mean getting rid of half the team and starting over.... again....

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I don't really care much for his comments on the interview. Rather bland, IMO.

Now, I know he wasn't giving a press conference here like Sherman did, and he may have said a lot more that just wasn't printed, but those comments don't have much excitement in them. I'd love to hear (and see) him talk about the interview.

With all that said, I still would love to have him here but those comments sure didn't do anything to hype me up...very bland.
So is the HC for the Patriots, & he seems to be pretty good.

Actully I didnt think it seemed bland, I thought he sounded like a guy with a plan & knows what his style is. He also has a current job he has to worry about also so I dont blame him for not sounding like he rehearsed his answers all week.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is the HC for the Patriots, & he seems to be pretty good.

Actully I didnt think it seemed bland, I thought he sounded like a guy with a plan & knows what his style is. He also has a current job he has to worry about also so I dont blame him for not sounding like he rehearsed his answers all week.

That's not it...I'm not saying I want some jumpy, hyper guy. I'm just saying there seemed to be a lack of enthusiasm in his comments. "I had a good conversation. They had fair questions. I think it went well."

I think it probably has more to do with the media not printing other answers or not many questions being asked, but I don't get why these couple of comments would get people slobbering. Fine to slobber over him for what he brings to the table, but the answers there were very meh. If it weren't a popular candidate I'm sure people would be all over him (unfairly). Just strikes me funny...he really didn't say anything and he didn't sound enthused. Like I said though, I would like to see and hear his comments, not just the media writing them down...could be very different.

No need to rehearse, but no comments about the current defense's play and the weapons on offense, whether he thinks its a good situation out here, etc. Just "we talked, it was good. Protect the qb."

I want to reiterate that I am not a hater on this guy, far from it as he's someone I'd love to have coach here (more than many others). I just wish we'd get more of a feel for his interview than that.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I heard John Clayton say last night he will be worth about 8 million bones when he comes back. For a coach?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
That's not it...I'm not saying I want some jumpy, hyper guy. I'm just saying there seemed to be a lack of enthusiasm in his comments. "I had a good conversation. They had fair questions. I think it went well."

I think it probably has more to do with the media not printing other answers or not many questions being asked, but I don't get why these couple of comments would get people slobbering. Fine to slobber over him for what he brings to the table, but the answers there were very meh. If it weren't a popular candidate I'm sure people would be all over him (unfairly). Just strikes me funny...he really didn't say anything and he didn't sound enthused. Like I said though, I would like to see and hear his comments, not just the media writing them down...could be very different.

No need to rehearse, but no comments about the current defense's play and the weapons on offense, whether he thinks its a good situation out here, etc. Just "we talked, it was good. Protect the qb."

I want to reiterate that I am not a hater on this guy, far from it as he's someone I'd love to have coach here (more than many others). I just wish we'd get more of a feel for his interview than that.
I gotchya, I am kinda the other way. When I hear a guy talk up the obvious (Boldin, Fitz, Leinart) It is just the same old song & dance to me. Everyone is gunna say that. In a way I kinda like the way he handled it. He gave us an idea f how he wants "his" team to play, which interests me more than telling us how good our best players are...

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Its just a news article. If the Cards really want him, he will fly here to have a more thorough interview and meet Mr. B. That can't take place until the Bear's season is over. They would then have a press conference like they are doing with the other coaches that interview here. I also would like to actually hear him in an interview.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yikes! That would mean getting rid of half the team and starting over.... again....

I don't think so. The Cards offense appears to have the players for smash mouth football. Huge offensive linemen and big, strong wr's and a tough RB in Edge. Heck Boldin plays smash mouth football every time he catches the ball.

On defense they need to get rid of half the team anyway. Wilson likes to play smash mouth and Hayes seems like he would be better at that style also. They've got a giant DT to build around so it could be done.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
I think Cowher ends up with the Browns in a year or two. Personally, I don't see Cowher going to work for Danny Snyder.

If Parcells doesn't retire (again) after this year or gets fired, Cowher will replace him after next season. Mark it down, folks... Jerry Jones is gonna open the pocket book again.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
smashmouth is something we'll do when needed. That's why it was so hard to mix a good running gaame in this year, though better than what we've seen in years. We're not set up that way. It would be very difficult to take a high powered receiving team and just toss it away. I thought we showed the capabilities once in a bit of spots. Just not enough for me.
The fellow from Green Bay is probably closest to what we're looking ffor. Potent passing game, but used to keeping the O line ready to split the play calling right down the middle.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
smashmouth is something we'll do when needed. That's why it was so hard to mix a good running gaame in this year, though better than what we've seen in years. We're not set up that way. It would be very difficult to take a high powered receiving team and just toss it away. I thought we showed the capabilities once in a bit of spots. Just not enough for me.
The fellow from Green Bay is probably closest to what we're looking ffor. Potent passing game, but used to keeping the O line ready to split the play calling right down the middle.

In this day and age, a smashmouth running game is not mutually exclusive from a vertical passing game. It's just that when you run, that's how you run. I think we can get there, with the right coaching.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
When he made the smashmouth comment I basically groaned.

He went down about 12 notches on my interest meter with that one phrase. It's so cliched and so without actual meaning I think it sums the guy up pretty well.

Every play in the NFL is smashmouth, the Patriots aren't a smashmouth team, they win by playing fundamentaly nearly flawless football.

I'm on the just say no to Ron bandwagon as of now, I'd take Sherman everyday and twice on Sunday before Ron now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson