Rivera comments on Cards Interview

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got this from the Chicago Sun Times

Rivera in demand for coaching jobs; Turner talking, too

January 5, 2007
BY BRAD BIGGS Staff Reporter
The suitors keep lining up for Ron Rivera, while Ron Turner also is drawing some interest.

Rivera, the Bears' defensive coordinator, was back at practice Thursday at Halas Hall but will meet with the Atlanta Falcons today and is expected to visit with the Miami Dolphins on Saturday as those teams work to fill their head-coaching vacancies.

And the Pittsburgh Steelers are expected to be granted permission to meet with Rivera after Bill Cowher told his assistants Thursday that he is stepping down after 15 seasons. Rivera could meet with the Steelers on Sunday or after the Bears' season ends.

The Dolphins also received permission to interview Turner, the Bears' offensive coordinator and a former head coach at Illinois and San Jose State.

''I'm flattered that they would have some interest in me,'' Turner told the Bears for a story on the team's Web site. ''My ultimate goal is to be a head coach in the [NFL].

''I feel that through the years of being a head coach at the collegiate level and an assistant at this level and being with somebody like Lovie Smith, who's taught me a great deal, that I'm prepared for it and ready and anxious to go talk to them.''

As for Rivera, his interview with the Arizona Cardinals went so well Wednesday, it exceeded the time he expected to chat with vice president Michael Bidwill and personnel man Rod Graves, who formerly worked for the Bears.

''I had a good conversation,'' Rivera said. ''They had fair questions, and I thought it went well. They asked mostly about philosophy and handling certain situations.''

As is the case with every defensive coach, those questions focused primarily on his vision for the Cardinals' offense and a plan for second-year quarterback Matt Leinart.

''Protect the quarterback first,'' Rivera said. ''And to protect the quarterback means you've got to be a smashmouth, physical team.''

The Cardinals lack the primary ingredient to do that with a woeful offensive line, but the skill players are in place with wide receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin and running back Edgerrin James.

The Bears could end up losing more than Rivera. Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson is known to have been Rivera's choice as an offensive coordinator when he interviewed with St. Louis and Green Bay last season, and it's believed that Rivera would take Wilson with him to the Cardinals if he gets that job.

Wilson remains under contract to the Bears, but Smith has said he is all for the promotion of assistants on his staff. Teams do not have to grant permission for assistants to speak to other clubs unless they are being considered for a head-coaching position.
Rivera said he believes the Falcons are ''a couple players away'' from returning to contention in the NFC, but he didn't want to reveal his strategy. The Falcons met with Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt on Thursday, and Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm are considered favorites to succeed Cowher in Pittsburgh.

Arizona interviewed former Packers head coach Mike Sherman on Thursday. Whisenhunt will follow today, and the Cardinals have plans to meet with San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow and Grimm.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really like Rivera. He does have a plan in place on staff he would bring in. He is just 44 years and full of energy. He is my first choice. It would be great to have a "smashmouth physcial team."

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless the Cardinals act soon, Rivera will be gone.

Cards can't do anything officially until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs. Interviews had to take place in Chicago and only this week as its a bye week for the Bears.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Well, Grossman played out of his mind this year. I say this knowing he had like 4 games with 4+ TOs and no TDs. That's the point, though. Grossman should be out of the league, yet he had around 25 TD passes and 20 INTs. Best case scenario for a player like Grossman is Ty Detmer, but Wilson got 16 (or was it 15) starts out of him and some BIG games. I dunno. I guess there's 2 ways to look at it....

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Copy/Paste from the Bears' MediaGuide. I've tried to upload it in pdf, but unfortunately I cannot get under the 78k upload limit.
Wade Wilson, in his third season with the Bears, was hired on February 9,
2004. During his first two seasons in Chicago, rookie quarterbacks have started
20 of the team's 32 regular season games while posting a 13-7 record (.650)
in those contests. Prior to joining the Bears, Wilson spent three seasons (2000-
02) in the same role with the Dallas Cowboys following a 19-year playing
career, surpassed by only seven other players in the history of the League
(George Blanda, 26; Morten Andersen and Gary Anderson, 23; Earl Morrall,
21; Jim Marshall, Jackie Slater and Darrell Green, 20).
Kyle Orton thrived as Chicago's rookie starting quarterback under Wilson in 2005. Installed as the
starter with just two weeks remaining in the preseason, the fourth-round draft pick won nine of his
first 12 starts with 10 victories overall. Soaking up the knowledge gleaned from Wilson's 24 years in
the NFL, Orton set the NFL record for wins by a rookie quarterback drafted in the fourth round or
later since the common draft was instituted in 1967. His 10 wins are second for a rookie passer overall
during that span behind the 13 by Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger in 2004. Orton reeled off an
eight-game win streak that is the second-longest by a rookie passer in the NFL dating back to 1970.
Orton broke every team rookie passing record during the season while becoming the first Bears quarterback
to start more than 13 games in a season since 1995.
Wilson's first season with Chicago was marked by four quarterbacks starting at least three games
for the Bears. Rex Grossman opened the season as the starter, but was lost for the year due to injury
in the third game. Veteran Jonathan Quinn was called on to make the next three starts, but indifferent
results led to the accelerated insertion of rookie Craig Krenzel. The fifth-round draft pick won his
first three starts, but a season-ending injury in his fifth brought in Chad Hutchinson for the last five
games. Hutchinson's ascension marked the second time in Wilson's coaching career that he had to
prep four different signal-callers to start in a single season. He previously did so in his second season
with Dallas in 2001.
Wilson's first season with the Cowboys coincided with veteran QB Troy Aikman's final year with
the team. Wilson was called upon to prep four different quarterbacks for game action when Aikman
started 11 games but was forced to miss five starts and parts of three other games with injuries.
Randall Cunningham relieved Aikman on two occasions and started three games while Clint Stoerner
and Anthony Wright also saw action under center during the 2000 season.
Drafted in the eighth round (210th overall) of the 1981 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings, the
future Pro Bowler (1988) led the Vikings to three playoff appearances in 11 seasons (1981-91) including
the 1987 NFC Championship game. Wilson also spent time with the Atlanta Falcons (1992), New
Orleans Saints (1993-94), Dallas Cowboys (1995-97) and Oakland Raiders (1998-99). He served as
Aikman's backup on the Cowboys Super Bowl XXX championship team in 1995.
Wilson completed his pro career with a 75.6 quarterback rating, completing 1,391 passes on 2,428
attempts for 17,283 yards. In 1988 (with Minnesota) he led the NFC with a 91.5 quarterback rating,
completing 204 of 332 passes (61.4%) for 2,746 yards, 15 touchdowns and nine interceptions. His 61.4
percent completion rate led the NFL that season.
Wilson was a four-year letterman and three-year starter at East Texas State University, where he
earned NAIA All-America and Lone Star Conference MVP honors as a senior while leading the conference
in passing and total offense, completing 338 of 668 passes for 4,414 yards and 32 touchdowns
during his four years with the Lions.
Wilson majored in business management at ETSU, and has his real estate license and his SEC-series
seven registration. He has four children; Travis Wade, Hayden, and twins Coleton and Sophie.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
''Protect the quarterback first,'' Rivera said. ''And to protect the quarterback means you've got to be a smashmouth, physical team.''

Can anyone feel my man-crush forming?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell,
Possible darkhorse? The Edge connection is obvious and Leinart, to me, has been trying to emulate Peyton with his pre-snap audibles and reads. I hadn't even considered this guy.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Possible darkhorse? The Edge connection is obvious and Leinart, to me, has been trying to emulate Peyton with his pre-snap audibles and reads. I hadn't even considered this guy.

That be a huge jump from QB coach to HC. But interview him, maybe he knows what he's doing.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cards can't do anything officially until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs. Interviews had to take place in Chicago and only this week as its a bye week for the Bears.

you can take it to the bank that if no head coach is named until after the superbowl it is a coordinator from of the participants (duh) otherwise it is going to happen very quickly.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Caldwell is also Ass. HC in Indy, though it probably doesn't mean much, a la Bush (our ass. HC).....

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I would've liked to hear him give a breakdown on the o-line, in particular Big. Would he keep him and would it be at LT or LG?

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would've liked to hear him give a breakdown on the o-line, in particular Big. Would he keep him and would it be at LT or LG?

He has the experience of coaching against our OL in the infamous Monday night game. So he no doubt studied film on them prior to the game. I'm sure he knows what is needed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I like the idea of bringing in Rex Grossman's quarterbacks coach ...

You do realize who coached up Wade Wilson when he was an NFL QB?

Dennis Green.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
rivera has been surrounded by champoinship coaches all his career in the nfl. Mike Dikta, Andy Reid, and Lovie Smith. i know this guy knows how to coach. he is not a bad choice for the cardinals. i like cam cameron and jim mora jr. to take over. they all have a good backgrounds to coach the cardinals. i am a run the ball first kind of guy. that is why i like cam cameron and jim mora jr.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Comon Bears... Get past that bye and lose! We want Rivera!

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
rivera has been surrounded by champoinship coaches all his career in the nfl. Mike Dikta, Andy Reid, and Lovie Smith. i know this guy knows how to coach. he is not a bad choice for the cardinals. i like cam cameron and jim mora jr. to take over. they all have a good backgrounds to coach the cardinals. i am a run the ball first kind of guy. that is why i like cam cameron and jim mora jr.

I like Cameron because he directs one of the best offensives I've ever seen. Of course it helps that he has LT.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave