RIP: Heath Ledger (1979-2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm past debating your personal connection to Heath Ledger. I see it, just like I see the personal connection some have to OJ, Michael Jackson, and Selena. I get it. I see what drives it and I still find it pathetic.

Hey...Keanu Reeves played a surfer in a movie....I use to surf all the time. We have a deep personal connection, I hope he doesn't die, not sure I'd be able to go on.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But mourning? Come on! Seriously?

The word "Distress" is used in the definition for grief and sorrow...which are used in the definition of mourn...it's unthinkable that anyone in this thread is distressed over this or are terrible "sad sad sad".
I never said distress, and I don't think anyone else on here has come anywhere near what would be considered "distress" over his death. YOU said:
Mourn: to feel or express sorrow or grief.
So to answer the bolded part, by YOUR definition (not the definition of the word used in the definition. That's extrapolating incorrectly, imho), yes, mourn. I feel sorrow for his death. So what?

Some of the people that like me best like me because I feel things deeply--it's what makes me ME, and there's a whole lot of other parts of my personality that are the way they are because I feel things deeply.

I'm actually grateful that we have so many differing opinions on this subject. To me, it celebrates the diversity of human nature. I'd hate it if we all acted & felt the same. So if I can accept that human life means little to you, why can't you accept that it means more to others?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm past debating your personal connection to Heath Ledger. I see it, just like I see the personal connection some have to OJ, Michael Jackson, and Selena. I get it. I see what drives it and I still find it pathetic.

I don't have a personal connection to Heath. I am arguing for those that do.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey...Keanu Reeves played a surfer in a movie....I use to surf all the time. We have a deep personal connection, I hope he doesn't die, not sure I'd be able to go on.

Hey... I am like a robot and express little to no sympathy or mourning when anyone dies. I'm glad that I am able to go on just fine.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath Ledger, is just another dead actor. There were many before him, and there will be many after him. The people you mentioned, soldiers, victims of the holocaust, and Presidents, either died while serving the public or in war. Heath died because he alledgedly ingested a bad drug combo. He did it to himself, just as many actors did before him, and many will after him. I don't see a personal connection to a guy from 10 Things I hate About You. To each his own. But you made the example, not me. You put those words in your own mouth.

Hey AZ, how would you feel if Anquan Boldin was killed in a horrific car accident on the 101 and investigators could not yet determine if he was at fault or not?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey AZ, how would you feel if Anquan Boldin was killed in a horrific car accident on the 101 and investigators could not yet determine if he was at fault or not?

:offtopic:

Anquan Boldin is a saint so he cant be killed. Where the hell is your head man!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was just wondering where you were on this subject.... lol

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be the most ridiculous thread in all of ASFN history. What's the point of the debate here? Is it an honest attempt to understand the other side? Is it to try to convince people to change their minds? Or is it just a thread to say "I'm right and you're opinion is stupid" to other people?

What's so hard to understand really? Some people think it's ridiculous to mourn/feel sorry for/have a personal connection with/insert-whatever-else-you-want-to-here for Ledger. Other people think it's okay to feel sad when someone dies in spite of whether there is a personal connection or not. So what's the big freaking deal?

Sorry. I just think there are more important things to worry about. And, on that note, I'm outta this thread.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I would be torn up. I've met Anquan. My kids have pictures with Q. I've cheered on Q. I've seen him battle his guts out for my city in pretty deplorable conditions. I've seen the non-football side of Q. I've seen the charitable work he's done that has impacted Phoenix. If he died I would be a lot more upset than if an actor OD'd on pills. The similarities are few and far. Whether the wreck would be his fault is irrelevant.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be the most ridiculous thread in all of ASFN history. What's the point of the debate here? Is it an honest attempt to understand the other side? Is it to try to convince people to change their minds? Or is it just a thread to say "I'm right and you're opinion is stupid" to other people?

What's so hard to understand really? Some people think it's ridiculous to mourn/feel sorry for/have a personal connection with/insert-whatever-else-you-want-to-here for Ledger. Other people think it's okay to feel sad when someone dies in spite of whether there is a personal connection or not. So what's the big freaking deal?

Sorry. I just think there are more important things to worry about. And, on that note, I'm outta this thread.
Well, the truth is that we're all HORRIBLY bored at work and are trying desperately to entertain ourselves until 5:00 comes. (Or 3:00, whatever).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? You've never debated the way people act or feel about a certain situation?

Debating opinions is one thing. I don't debate people's feelings.

Why not? The problem with this world is that people don't question things enough....Exhibit A: Religion.
Wow, you wrapped up the world's problem in one sentence. Bravo.

No, but you have an understanding for those that feel a deep sadness over this, so you are speaking on their behalf :)

Yes I do. That I agree with you on.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Understanding other people's side is a big part of it. At least it is for me.

Well, the truth is that we're all HORRIBLY bored at work and are trying desperately to entertain ourselves until 5:00 comes. (Or 3:00, whatever).

This is the other side of it for me.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, your holier-than-thou attitude about it is very persuasive.

Thanks. Glad you understand.

:confused:

My holier-than-thou attitude? It is YOU telling us how we should feel. How am I acting hoiler than you?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I've met Anquan. My kids have pictures with Q. I've cheered on Q. I've seen him battle his guts out for my city in pretty deplorable conditions. I've seen the non-football side of Q. I've seen the charitable work he's done that has impacted Phoenix. If he died I would be a lot more upset than if an actor OD'd on pills. The similarities are few and far. Whether the wreck would be his fault is irrelevant.

Shaking his hand after a game isn't really knowing someone. People "met" Ledger too. Many people took pictures with him. Many people "cheered" him on" in his films. I'm sure some folks even saw his "charitable works". You are no different than anyone else.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:offtopic:

Anquan Boldin is a saint so he cant be killed. Where the hell is your head man!

This is theoretically, if he were human. :D

I would be torn up. I've met Anquan. My kids have pictures with Q. I've cheered on Q. I've seen him battle his guts out for my city in pretty deplorable conditions. I've seen the non-football side of Q. I've seen the charitable work he's done that has impacted Phoenix. If he died I would be a lot more upset than if an actor OD'd on pills. The similarities are few and far. Whether the wreck would be his fault is irrelevant.

It turns out his BAC was nearly double the legal limit. At that point, arent you the same as the people who are mourning HL?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It turns out his BAC was nearly double the legal limit. At that point, arent you the same as the people who are mourning HL?

Ok now when this happens next week where are we meeting to lynch a-bomb?

:stick:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No law says how drunk you can be in your own home.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is this thread suddenly making me think of this:

Braveheart said:
Stephen: Fine speech. Now what do we do?
William Wallace: Just be yourselves.
Hamish: Where are you going?
William Wallace: I'm going to pick a fight.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok now when this happens next week where are we meeting to lynch a-bomb?

:stick:

I don't even think we have come to a conclusion if we can mourn him or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard