RIP: Heath Ledger (1979-2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually it is different. You don't see the difference between feeling bad for fallen military personnel, an assasinated President, the holocaust, and feeling torn up over Heath Ledger? That may be the most rediculous statement ever, but it is a true reflection of how misguided some people's values are. You are comparing a drug addict who made bad movies and left his child fatherless to the men and women brave enough to serve our country, the millions of innocent men, children, and women killed by Hitler, and JFK and Lincoln? Many people have direct connections to military personnel and the holocaust. Even if they don't it is called humanitarianism. And everyone has a connection to the President of the US. I don't think seeing an actor on film is remotely the same. But to some people it is....like stalkers.

Geez. I was listing examples of other people that you may never meet in life, but mourn. I'm not saying that these examples are equal, you are putting words into my mouth.

You spout big words like humanitarianism, yet you don't treat Heath the same. Pretty ironic. Not everyone has a connection to the President of the United States, according to some people's definition.

If you can't see how people can listen to a song, and be affected by that song, or watch a movie, and do the same, then I don't know what to say. Movies and music are very much integraded into people's lives. Just as much as politics for example.

Why do people keep bringing this up? It's not only irrelevent, it's an opinion.

agreed.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Actually it is different. You don't see the difference between feeling bad for fallen military personnel, an assasinated President, the holocaust, and feeling torn up over Heath Ledger? That may be the most rediculous statement ever, but it is a true reflection of how misguided some people's values are.

And you call me the moral police.... :lame:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You spout big words like humanitarianism, yet you don't treat Heath the same. Pretty ironic. Not everyone has a connection to the President of the United States, according to some people's definition.

agreed.
Heath Ledger, is just another dead actor. There were many before him, and there will be many after him. The people you mentioned, soldiers, victims of the holocaust, and Presidents, either died while serving the public or in war. Heath died because he alledgedly ingested a bad drug combo. He did it to himself, just as many actors did before him, and many will after him. I don't see a personal connection to a guy from 10 Things I hate About You. To each his own. But you made the example, not me. You put those words in your own mouth.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath Ledger, is just another dead actor. There were many before him, and there will be many after him. The people you mentioned, soldiers, victims of the holocaust, and Presidents, either died while serving the public or in war. Heath died because he alledgedly ingested a bad drug combo. He did it to himself, just as many actors did before him, and many will after him. I don't see a personal connection to a guy from 10 Things I hate About You. To each his own. But you made the example, not me. You put those words in your own mouth.

Here you go:

simile - noun - is a juxtaposed comparison of two or more objects to draw attention to their similarities.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
The people you mentioned, soldiers, victims of the holocaust, and Presidents, either died while serving the public or in war.

Thank heavens you're here to tell everybody how they should feel. What about soldiers who come home with drug problems and die of eventual overdoses? Are they idiots or heroes? Tell us how we should feel about that please.

Oh, and also Ronald Reagan. He was a president and a bad actor. That's a grey area. Should we consider him just another dead actor or should we praise him as an angelic deceased president?

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the only one is them dying.

What are you talking about?

The people that I compared... (heath ledger, to fallen military personnel, assassinated President, etc.) are all people that have died.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thank heavens you're here to tell everybody how they should feel. What about soldiers who come home with drug problems and die of eventual overdoses? Are they idiots or heroes? Tell us how how should we feel about that please.

In what way did my quote tell you how to feel? You quoted me as saying "The people you mentioned, soldiers, victims of the holocaust, and Presidents, either died while serving the public or in war." I just stated a fact. If you don't see a difference between that and a actor that OD's then just keep on keepin' on.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What are you talking about?

The people that I compared... (heath ledger, to fallen military personnel, assassinated President, etc.) are all people that have died.

That's where the similarities end. Others are humanitarians and are sacrificial in their professions...for us, Ledger was a poor(at his job, not monetarily) entertainer.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's where the similarities end. Others are humanitarians and are sacrificial in their professions...for us, Ledger was a poor(at his job, not monetarily) entertainer.

To be a simile, you don't have to have X amount of similarities.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In what way did my quote tell you how to feel? You quoted me as saying "The people you mentioned, soldiers, victims of the holocaust, and Presidents, either died while serving the public or in war." I just stated a fact. If you don't see a difference between that and a actor that OD's then just keep on keepin' on.

You did say mourning for Heath is a true reflection of how misguided some people's values are.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Well you can find a similarity in just about anything. Hey look, we're both humans, we both have hands and feet. We have heads and legs and arms. Try a little harder than one thing we all have in common...we ALL die.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

It's not that complicated AZ, you were casting moral judgement on someone's response to Heath. Why duck the question? Too tough?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you can find a similarity in just about anything. Hey look, we're both humans, we both have hands and feet. We have heads and legs and arms. Try a little harder than one thing we all have in common...we ALL die.

:rolleyes:

I thought I did that rather clearly, but here you go again, bolded this time.

How about the fact that people can mourn celebrities, just as people can mourn fallen military personnel, Presidents etc.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You did say mourning for Heath is a true reflection of how misguided some people's values are.

And it is. How do you MOURN a person you don't know.

Mourn: to feel or express sorrow or grief.

Do you really have sorrow or grief over some crappy actor's death? Really???

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm on "ignore":

No, the others are that none of us knew them personally, and are still affected by their deaths.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

The irony in this statement is amusing. People feel for the Heath story in part because of those very things.

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Jeez, the guy died and many feel bad about it. That's their right. If you want the priviledge to not care about it, why not respect others right to feel bad about it?

No one should feel worse about this than the deaths of public servents but some do. The only reason the comparison was made between Heath Ledger and public servants was to point out that you don't have to meet or know someone to feel for their passing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't but some people I am sure do.

Who are you to judge who people can and cannot mourn?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It's a simile. A very narrow, highly debatable, simile. I guess it is different to each person.

I'm just guessing that if you openly mourned the death of a soldier that you never met you would get a different reaction by most poeple than if you openly mourned Heath Ledger. People gathered in droves to cheer on OJ at his trial for turning his wife into a PEZ dispenser too so anything is possible. Personal attachment are just that, personal.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, I do.

The irony in this statement is amusing. People feel for the Heath story in part because of those very things.
I feel sad when I hear of almost anyone dying. A nameless, faceless, father of two dies in a housefire...I'm sad.

Some people feel more than others, CT/AZ...doesn't make anyone better or worse than the other. Just different.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

I thought I did that rather clearly, but here you go again, bolded this time.

How about the fact that people can mourn celebrities, just as people can mourn fallen military personnel, Presidents etc.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can use that smiley too!

That is the problem I have, it's different to mourn a President's death or Military personnel(although I don't necessarily agree with that either) than an entertainer.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

Are you for real? Seriously. What kind of person is obsessed about who and how people mourn? Everytime there is a high profile death thread you make these obnoxious and outrageous posts. You need to seek some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort