RIP: Bill "Wallace" Thompson (1931-2014)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill Thompson of KPHO's 'Wallace and Ladmo Show' dies

http://www.kpho.com/story/26097758/bill-thompson-of-wallace-and-ladmo-dies

Bill Thompson has died at age 82.

You might remember him better as "Wallace Snead" from the "Wallace and Ladmo" show that aired on KPHO for years.

His son told CBS 5 News late Wednesday afternoon that Thompson had been in the hospital for a couple of days.

Wallace and Ladmo started in 1954, in black and white, with Thompson, who at that time was the KPHO art director and studio floor director.

A new cartoon package had been acquired and the program manager needed someone to "fill-in" between cartoons and commercials. Wallace volunteered and so began the show.

He soon talked his friend Ladimir Kwiatkowski, a KPHO camera operator, into joining him as a "sidekick." Ladimir's name was shortened to "Ladmo" and "The Wallace and Ladmo Show" was born.

The two performed various comic sketches in between cartoons, with Ladmo often locking the camera off, and running around in front of the camera to perform the various bits.

A few years later, Channel 5 hired a young weatherman named Pat McMahon. McMahon, who grew up in a vaudeville family, often watched Wallace and Ladmo from the sidelines and was astounded at the stunts these two performed.

Soon Wallace enlisted McMahon's help and the trio was complete. Lucky contest winners would be invited to appear on the show to receive a Ladmo Bag, which became a Holy Grail to Arizona kids.

---------------------------

RIP, Wallace. So glad I was able to be on the show, meet you (and Ladmo), and get a Ladmo bag. You were the real deal on and off the show. You'll always be remembered.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Growing up I just assumed every kid in America was lucky enough to watch Wallace and Ladmo every day. I felt so sad for those poor out-of-state kids when I found out it was just for us locals. Always wanted a Ladmo bag, but I was never that lucky. RIP Wallace.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
R.I.P Wallace. My wife was in the audience once and I did get a Ladmo bag (grocery bag style) from Wallace and Ladmo at my mother's company picnic where they were the entertainment. If you grew up here...it was THE SHOW.

Maybe Wallace and Ladmo are back starting up a new show somewhere out there.

HoHo!HaHa!HeeHee!HaHa!

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Growing up I just assumed every kid in America was lucky enough to watch Wallace and Ladmo every day. I felt so sad for those poor out-of-state kids when I found out it was just for us locals. Always wanted a Ladmo bag, but I was never that lucky. RIP Wallace.
Ditto. That's one of the fee ways left to know who has been here for a while or is actually a native.

But, i'll be honest, I thought he died a few years ago... there's a site that has the shows on DVD and merchandise. Got me a few DVD's and the ladmo tie tshirt - though it's not quite the same.

For the longest time it was the longest running show in TV history. I think 60min finally passed it.

Those were good days...

Edit, here's the site http://www.wallacewatchers.com/

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Steve

Same here, no Ladmo bag for me. But I did spend many afternoons watching them on TV. RIP

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here, no Ladmo bag for me. But I did spend many afternoons watching them on TV. RIP

Afternoons? It was a morning show. Used to watch every day as a kid before school.

Oh and Pat McMahon was a genius on that show. Captain Super, Aunt Maude, Marshall Good.

Went to KPHO as a kid for a live taping. Both guys were super nice.

Last edited:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
The kid right next to me got the Ladmo bag.
But it was fun being at the show.
Thanks for entertaining us Bill.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can you explain Wallace and Ladmo to someone who didn't live it? I tried once to my kids, and I couldn't come close to doing the show justice. Even though I know they would've loved it like any other kid who watched it.

It was a goofy kids show that somehow treated kids like adults and gave out big ass bags of candy that we would've sold out our best friend's soul for.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP Wallace! great guys, great entertainment, saw several live shows on the fairgrounds in my early youth.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How can you explain Wallace and Ladmo to someone who didn't live it? I tried once to my kids, and I couldn't come close to doing the show justice. Even though I know they would've loved it like any other kid who watched it.

It was a goofy kids show that somehow treated kids like adults and gave out big ass bags of candy that we would've sold out our best friend's soul for.
You can't unfortunately. There are no shows anymore like it on TV and haven't been for a loooooong time.

It also had adult humor in it which is why it probably stuck around with people long after they had watched it as a kid.

Going to be a mighty sad day when we lose McMahon, but luckily he's doing still here.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sad. What a great show it was. Was in the audience twice as a kid in the 80's, but no Ladmo bag.

I think it was an afternoon show early in it's run and later became a morning show.

They used to also do shows at Legend City I think, but doing shows there was before my time.

Still remember when it ended. They tore up the contracts or something like that. Not sure if that was a parody for not getting a contract, or they wanted to make Wallace use the show as vehicle for making the final decision. I think they did something similar like 2-3 years earlier but renewed the deal. I think he was the one who wanted to end it, and not anyone else.

It was weird because both that show and Robotech (reruns) both went off the air Dec '89. I was like...what I am going to watch in the morning before school?

Good show and I remember you could see the cartoons through the big camera eyepiece, I was so fascinated by that I watched most of them through the eyepiece from the kids seating then looking at the main thing.

RIP Bill, you touched the hearts of millions of kids over 35 years and will be missed.

Ho Ho Ha Ha He He Ha Ha Ho Ho Ha Ha He He Ha Ha Ho Ho Ha Ha He He Ha Ha oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They used to also do shows at Legend City I think, but doing shows there was before my time.

Saw them several times at Legend City (at the original Compton Terrace). They were there almost every weekend for the entire run of the park. Got my Ladmo "tie" t-shirt from one of those shows.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Saw them several times at Legend City (at the original Compton Terrace). They were there almost every weekend for the entire run of the park. Got my Ladmo "tie" t-shirt from one of those shows.

Yep, they were there all the time doing shows and promoting. Legend City was fun. I remember we could actually see the Legend City lights if we were up on our roof. One time we were there and watched Dan Horn. He called me on stage and had me help with a couple tricks before his puppet act.

What was the name of that roller coaster that was the last major attraction they built there? I remember all the hype when that thing was built.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the name of that roller coaster that was the last major attraction they built there? I remember all the hype when that thing was built.

Pretty sure it was the Sidewinder.

It was relocated and is now the Sand Blaster in Daytona Beach.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really making me feel a bit nostalgic. I had the single Work, Work by Hub Kapp and the Wheels. Our own Arizona Beatles impersonators. Alice Cooper used to talk about how much he loved Pat & Mike's music. I also loved a local duo that grew their audience on Wallace & Ladmo called Floyd and Jerry. I had one of their 45's too, a song called Dusty that I first heard them do on this show.

Back to Hub & the Wheels, it's hard to believe that it's been almost 20 years since Mike Condello committed suicide. Mike was responsible for most of the original music on the show back in the 60's and early 70's. He frequently played guitar (as a guest) for many of the hot musical acts in the Valley back then, I saw him a couple of times in Prescott around the various 4th of July celebrations.

For me, the origin story of Wallace and Ladmo is an American success story that is the stuff of legend. It should be told and re-told. In fact, there really ought to be a Wallace and Ladmo channel with 24 hours of reruns daily. I'd watch it.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was the Sidewinder.

It was relocated and is now the Sand Blaster in Daytona Beach.

That was it. Holy cow. I had no idea it was relocated. I just assumed it was torn down. That is pretty cool to know that a piece of Legend City still lives on.

For me, the origin story of Wallace and Ladmo is an American success story that is the stuff of legend. It should be told and re-told. In fact, there really ought to be a Wallace and Ladmo channel with 24 hours of reruns daily. I'd watch it.

Steve

Great post and I bet a bunch of kids would too. My youngest would probably love the goofiness.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh, now you're really using the way back machine.

As the rumor goes the studio exec's erased pre-80's shows to reuse the tapes. And a major part of AZ history erased along with it.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm showing my age, but I watched this show in it's infancy back in the '50's. Old black and white TV with tin foil for an antenna.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm showing my age, but I watched this show in it's infancy back in the '50's. Old black and white TV with tin foil for an antenna.

I guess I'm showing my age, but I watched this show in my infancy back in the '50s. Old black and white TV with a coat hanger for an antenna, we weren't rich like the tin foil people.;)

Steve

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work with one of their former technical directors on the show. He has nothing but great stories and memories of working with W&L.

And tragically, KPHO had no idea what they were taping over to "save" money. :mad:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm showing my age, but I watched this show in my infancy back in the '50s. Old black and white TV with a coat hanger for an antenna, we weren't rich like the tin foil people.;)

Steve

You don't know what old is.... I said I watched the show in it's infancy not my infancy.

Remind my to show you a picture that was taken at my 12th birthday party in Phoenix. You don't know what white trailer trash is either... so much for your rich folks comment...

ah hell, here it is below.... Wallace and Ladmo days, near what then was the sticks at 48th st and Thomas

Attachments

• 12th birthday.jpg
    12th birthday.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 51

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weren't you scared dinosaurs would come and drink your lemonade?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Afternoons? It was a morning show. Used to watch every day as a kid before school.

Oh and Pat McMahon was a genius on that show. Captain Super, Aunt Maude, Marshall Good.

Went to KPHO as a kid for a live taping. Both guys were super nice.

Originally it was on live in the afternoon. I think in the '70's it went to being taped and shown in the mornings.

Come home from school, do a few chores and then watch "It's Wallace!" and, later "Wallace & Ladmo".

Great, great times growing up in the late '50's and the '60's.

R.I.P. Wallace.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't know what old is.... I said I watched the show in it's infancy not my infancy.

Remind my to show you a picture that was taken at my 12th birthday party in Phoenix. You don't know what white trailer trash is either... so much for your rich folks comment...

ah hell, here it is below.... Wallace and Ladmo days, near what then was the sticks at 48th st and Thomas

I know. And the same goes for my rich people comment. That was me being cute. I guess I did it wrong?

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison